PDA

View Full Version : Broke another &#@!*($% bolt!

Mudderoy
09-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I sheared off the nut and threads of the factory bolt that held on the upper control arm body side passenger.

I purchased some grade 8 bolts to replace it and I've been using those as I work on my front end.

Well I replaced the UCA bushing on the Dana 30 yesterday. I heard a loud POP this morning at the end of the street.

Started to check it but figured I was just paranoid.

Got home this evening and the same place but different grade 8 bolt did the same thing!

Now I get to go fight that UCA 2 days in a row.

I guess I'm putting too much torque on them, at least I hope thats the case.

I have the RC drop brackets and the other bolt sheared off flush with the outside of the bracket.

4.3LXJ
09-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Tony, I know a lot of people advocate grade 8 bolts, but I am not one of them when it comes to suspension. They are designed to be strong along the length of the bolt, like when you torque them. But they are brittle, as you are finding out. Grade 5 is usually plenty. I have never broken one of those.

Mudderoy
09-09-2015, 01:12 AM
Okay here is the grade 8 UCA bolt. :(

4.3LXJ
09-09-2015, 01:43 AM
A couple of observations. That bolt is only hardened on the outside, and it looks like it is wiggling around. You might need to make sure all the holes are tight on the bolts

drakan1908
09-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Not sure about XJs but my Grand uses metric bolts. I replace some of mine with 10.9 hardness when I put on the lift. If you aren't using metric it could explain any movement. Just a thought.

sent from a van down by the river

Mudderoy
09-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Not sure about XJs but my Grand uses metric bolts. I replace some of mine with 10.9 hardness when I put on the lift. If you aren't using metric it could explain any movement. Just a thought.

sent from a van down by the river

I don't remember the actual size, but the bolt head is 14mm

Comparing it to the old factory bolt it appears to be the exact same size, but I'll have to actually look at the package.

I may get some 10.9 just to have it handy.

Mudderoy
09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
woohoo! I made it to work without any loud pops! :/

nickyg
09-09-2015, 12:49 PM
I feel the same way when I don't hear any loud pops getting out of bed.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk