PDA

View Full Version : IFS question

Joliet Johnny
09-03-2015, 08:54 AM
What is so bad about IFS?

Looking at a Tacoma cause I need a truck and it would be a good backup for the XJ. I'm mostly concerned with snow and 33s are about as big as needed here. I just don't understand the hate for IFS.

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Lack of articulation and the CV joint axle shafts can be weak. Pro Rock Crawlers have been playing with IFS/IRS for the last couple of years. Toyota trucks should have support though given their popularity.

Another draw back to IFS is all the additional moving parts and the expense to lift.

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Yeah I don't know a lot about it. Just what I've heard.

Very expensive to lift a vehicle that has IFS compared to solid axle.

Much weaker compared to solid axle

And must less articulation

I'm sure there are exceptions to these, and you can probably throw $$$ at it and obtain the same or better performance. Simple and cheap seem to be the tried and true winner.

4.3LXJ
09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
If you are looking at a vehicle to use on the highways, IFS rides better and has no death wobble tendencies. If you are looking to use one off road, the factory IFS kind of sucks if you get into anything really requiring a flexible suspension. However if you want to spend lots of money, you can make an IFS better than a straight axle off road, but you need major sponsorship to do so

cantab27
09-03-2015, 02:37 PM
IFS.....its the future ......

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
IFS.....its the future ......

So is the KL Cherokee..

Don't see us jumping on that ship either... :D

cantab27
09-04-2015, 02:50 AM
no solid axle jeeps soon........IFS = safety crumple zone pc crowd at its finest

Carves
09-04-2015, 05:49 AM
no solid axle jeeps soon........IFS = safety crumple zone pc crowd at its finest

Yep ... thats what its all about.

No reason the wrangler cant keep solid front axle and controls arms imho,

... as its been a satisfactory, cheapskate, alternative, to axle and leaf springs to meet crumple zone regs ... ever since the XJ was introduced.

I bet, the nannystate, vehicle legislators, hated the smart alecky, Renault/AMC fella that came up with XJs front suspension .. :smiley-laughing021:

Live axle doesnt handle near as nice as IFS does tho ... but its definitely the driveline to have - in agricultural/serious offroad driving scenarios.

bruggz351
09-04-2015, 04:08 PM
It's got to the point, where I shudder, every time I see cotton wool. [emoji31]

Sent from my FRED

Mudderoy
09-05-2015, 08:35 AM
We discussed this post on episode 192 of the JEEP TALK SHOW!

Episode will be out Monday. http://JeepTalkShow.com

denverd1
09-09-2015, 10:55 AM
depends on how high you're lifting and what you want out of the truck. Last two daily's were IFS vehicles, both were/are lifted and running 33 inch tires. Going any higher reguires dropping the front gearbox to keep your shaft angles in check.

BUT if you're only lifting a few inches (less than 3 I would guess, but I don't know specs on taco's, my tundra was lifted 2.5" and it did just fine with 33's) and keep your tire size reasonable (33s should fit, but again I don't know tacos) there isn't any real drawback to IFS.

One major advantage is less rotating mass when you're running down the highway = better MPGs. If you're looking to moderately lift, maintain road manners and streetability, IFS is great! Should have a lockable rear end, depending on the year. Some have traction control systems as well

Now if you want to lift 6" and run 37s, you need to look elsewhere. But I seriously doubt thats the case!

xj-jake
09-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Yep I'm gonna resurrect it. It's only been a few days so what the heck. There's nothing wrong with IFS for on and offroad driving. Having 2 jeeps in the family it can get to the point where you don't really know which one to drive for comfort.

Nobody touched on this so I thought I'd bring it up as me and my brother just had this solid axle vs IFS discussion. He, being as patient as I am with significant others, brought up and explained a good point to my wife about ground clearance offroad with an IFS suspension.

With a solid axle front suspension, whenever one side of the axle goes up or down it takes the axle with it. Essentially the pivot point of the axle is in the center, for the most part. Take a pencil and hold it in the center and flip it up and down. When one side goes up it takes the "axle" with.

It's different with IFS. You have 2 pivot points with IFS and they're closer to the ends of the "axle." So take the pencil and break the ends off and tape them back on. Now when you move one side up the center part of the pencil stays stationary. Hence less ground clearance.

Not trying to bash but nobody touched on this and I thought I'd throw in my opinion.

prerunner1982
09-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Are you saying that IFS has less ground clearance?

xj-jake
09-15-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm saying that in certain situations yes, IFS does have less ground clearance.

Mudderoy
09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Yeah I can see that. As one side of the axle pivots up the diff raises relative to the ground, but in IFS it will stay in the same position to a point.

prerunner1982
09-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Depending on the lift... the diff may sit higher than the horizontal centerline of the axle thereby offering better ground clearance.

xj-jake
09-15-2015, 02:00 PM
You're right Jon. But when a tire goes, or tries to go full stuff, that is where you'd be loosing ground clearance. The other side of that is the body roll. On an IFS setup the tire either has to stuff into the fender well or the body has to roll. If the tire goes into the fender you loose ground clearance, if it doesn't, the body will roll causing more instability offroad.

denverd1
09-16-2015, 01:22 PM
to a certain point, couldn't an IFS setup clear an obstacle on one side without creating as much body roll as live axle setup? again depends on the lift, tire size and uptravel.

my point is that ANY obstacle under a solid axle front tire creates body roll. while an IFS can absorb say a modertately sized obstacle without creating much body roll at all.

denverd1
09-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Jake, what'd you end up doing?

xj-jake
09-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Me Jake or Xj Wheeler Jake?

GoneWithTheWind
09-26-2015, 03:33 PM
cotton wool. [emoji31]

Sent from my FRED
The last time you used this expression I was at a loss for its meaning. would you enlighten me please? :sign0101:

bruggz351
09-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Certainly.😊
Over here, in the lucky country, we're lucky enough to have a government that cares enough about its people, to over regulate, outlaw, lock-out etc.
Hence, if you want to protect something from ANY damage, you surround it in cotton wool.

We are living in the nanny state. We are wrapped in cotton wool.

Not to protect us, as such, more so to leach even more money from the poor and control the plebians. So high society can prosper and big business can get bigger.

Sent from my FRED

GoneWithTheWind
09-26-2015, 05:32 PM
It makes much more sense now. Over here wool had a different meaning, although there isn't much wool about these days.:rolleye0012:
There are places over here where you can't hardly pass gas without a permit. Our fees for hunting and fishing are getting out of hand as well.

abebehrmann
10-05-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1308-frontend-feud-ifs-vs-solid-axle/

Saw this article the other day and figured it would be good to share here.

Mudderoy
10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Certainly.😊
Over here, in the lucky country, we're lucky enough to have a government that cares enough about its people, to over regulate, outlaw, lock-out etc.
Hence, if you want to protect something from ANY damage, you surround it in cotton wool.

We are living in the nanny state. We are wrapped in cotton wool.

Not to protect us, as such, more so to leach even more money from the poor and control the plebians. So high society can prosper and big business can get bigger.

Sent from my FRED

lol

bruggz351
10-05-2015, 02:54 PM
lol
It's a crinckle-cut potato... [emoji6]

Sent from my FRED

denverd1
10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Well the article doesn't draw much of a conclusion. Solid vs IFS debate comes down to what you're doing with it and how much $ you want to throw at it

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

abebehrmann
10-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Well the article doesn't draw much of a conclusion. Solid vs IFS debate comes down to what you're doing with it and how much $ you want to throw at it

Yep!

Kinda like:

Which is better; whiskey or beer? :drinking::D:drinking:

That answer, to me at least, comes down to if I have anything to do the next day...

xj-jake
10-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Really good article actually. There's different perspectives. It's all a matter of what you want. I won't be swapping in IFS anytime soon nor will I be building anything with IFS. Not saying it's bad there's definitely a place for it.

bruggz351
10-05-2015, 04:17 PM
I agree with all the sentiments above.
IFS does have its place, especially in the mass market. Comfort and handling are the corner-stone in sales of vehicles, next to looks and gadgets. Read cup holders. 😝
And, aside from the cost factor, an IFS, vehicle would be satisfactory for most peoples needs, including a lot of us.
I personally, like the simplicity and robustness of a solid axle.

Sent from my FRED

denverd1
10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Yep!

Kinda like:

That answer, to me at least, comes down to if I have anything to do the next day...
Easy. Whiskey

abebehrmann
10-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Easy. Whiskey

Hahaha, not for me! I can drink beer all night long and not feel it the next morning and not make an ass out of myself that night. When I try to do that with whiskey... well it's a quite a bit different.

Just lucky I'm not the type that gets angry when drunk, just happy and very generous.

bruggz351
10-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Yep!

Kinda like:

RUM!!!!!

Sent from my FRED

abebehrmann
10-05-2015, 06:48 PM
RUM!!!!!

Sent from my FRED

Ahhh, someone favors the twin-traction beam setup I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denverd1
10-05-2015, 10:14 PM

Rum? Thats straight up IFS in my book. TTB looks cool tho

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

denverd1
10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Me Jake or Xj Wheeler Jake?

sorry i thought you were OP for a minute!!

bruggz351
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/0186e668f8724e38ff3f8e716b52c559.jpg

[emoji6]

Sent from my FRED

bruggz351
10-06-2015, 08:29 PM

Don't get me wrong, though. I am a fan of the big Ford trucks. Have been since I was a child.
Wait, the misses says I still am. [emoji16]

But nah. I meant the the drink. Arrg.

Sent from my FRED