PDA

View Full Version : Welcome ShredXJ!!!

cantab27
09-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Hi ShredXJ, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Thank you Cantab!

I am very new to wheeling and to Jeeps. My buddy and I spent last winter building up my XJ. It is my first Jeep and I am loving it. Learning a ton and enjoying the experience big time.

A couple of goals this year - keep my build moving forward AND more exploring.

I have some kinks to iron out in my AX-15 swap and I am pulling together what I need to do a motor swap, rock sliders, flat fenders, belly skid, fuel tank skid, swing-away tire carrier, roof rack, lights, audio...oh, and limit straps. :-) so I look forward to getting some ideas from the XJT community and also contributing wherever I can.

We are also looking forward to exploring more in the next year. My top three (3) areas to explore are more Moab and local Oregon trails at Brown's Camp and HooDoo's Quack Attack.

Thanks again!
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=628&pictureid=4184

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 01:06 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: :patriot: :xj-blue:

bluedragon436
09-03-2015, 01:19 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware!! That is a clean looking build you got going on...

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks Mudderoy and BlueDragon!!

XJ Wheeler
09-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Definitely got a good start going! Looks sweet! Hope we can help ya get it built up.

Welcome to xjtalk!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks alot XJ Wheeler!!

Being new to forums, where would you suggest I go for help with my AX-15 swap questions. Is there an expert that you know of who may have experience to help me straighten out a wrinkle in this part of my build? Thanks again!

4.3LXJ
09-03-2015, 09:14 PM
I have done the AX5 swap. What is it you need to know?

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey thanks 4.3!!!

Part of the project was to swap an AX-15 tranny out of a 1990 XJ into my 2000 XJ Sport. The transmission works great and we broke it in with a trip to Moab last March. AWESOME!

I am having one main issue that I think is related to the tranny swap. It idles great at start but when I drive it and come to a stop, pushing in the clutch, the throttle will bottom out and the motor dies. My OBD2 is throwing 122 (Throttle position sensor voltage low) and 123 (Throttle position sensor voltage high) codes. I am still running the stock ECM which was for an automatic transmission.

My question(s) - will an ECM out of a 1999-2001 XJ with Manual Transmission fix this issue? Does it matter if the ECM is out of 2WD or 4WD XJ? Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

4.3LXJ
09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes, you should run one out of that vintage with the standard tranny. It is looking for a tranny that isn't there

Pookapotamus
09-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I would start by replacing the tps, ecu's are the same, have you removed the tranny computer?? On the older models it is under the glovebox

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 09:57 PM
I would start by replacing the tps, ecu's are the same, have you removed the tranny computer?? On the older models it is under the glovebox

Ok thanks 4.3...I was wanting to confirm before I sunk a couple hundred bucks into an ECU.

Pookapotamus...I have a TPS - I will go ahead and install it. So you have had success removing the TCM? I guess good to rule things out. Process of elimination. Good call.

Pookapotamus
09-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I have never done the swap, but I am sure I've heard something about deleting the TCM. it's easy and free give it a shot and let us know.

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

ShredXJ
09-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I am having a really hard time finding a used 2000-2001 MT ECU here in Oregon. If anyone knows of one or sees one in the blog-o-sphere please let me know. Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion about the vendors who flash ECUs. Any gotchas?