PDA

View Full Version : Dana 35 Model Year Differences

Hawkeye-Harris
09-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I bought an '89 Cherokee Laredo about a month ago now, that I was told by the previous owner that the 2nd previous owner may have replaced the original axles with '92 axles. The vehicle is supposed to also have a '92: engine, AW4 and transfer case, but the axles he was not sure of.

So, now I need to replace the rear right-hand wheel seal, plus it may need bearings soon, too (some kind'a scratchy noise back there).

I have already confirmed it is a D35. So as to have parts-in-hand, how can I tell if I have an '89 or '92 rear axle w/o pulling an axle shaft first? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

xj-jake
09-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Good morning Mr Hawkeye

I did a quick search of the Rock Auto parts catalog and according to them the seals are the same for an 89 and a 92. As I recall the axles are essentially unchanged all the way through the production on the XJ. Hope this helps you out and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me!

Hawkeye-Harris
09-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your quick reply, XJ-Jake.

NAPA lists two different parts and sizes for bearings and seals. They tell me '89 has an inner and an outer and the '92 has only an outer. They also tell me the bearings are different sizes. I also checked rockauto.com (good source for lots of parts, but the shipping...), they also show different parts for the different model years.

xj-jake
09-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Is there a casting number on the axle housing or a tag with the dana axle number?

If it's a 89 axle there should be a stamping or casting in the axle of 605387-1
If it's a 92 axle there should be a stamping of casting in the axle of 605535-1

Here's a link to show where I found the info....

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

4.3LXJ
09-01-2015, 11:36 AM
The only thing that changes is whether or not the axle has a C clip to hold the axle in. However, the newer bearings and seals all are the same part number.

Hawkeye-Harris
09-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Is there a casting number on the axle housing or a tag with the dana axle number?

If it's a 89 axle there should be a stamping or casting in the axle of 605387-1
If it's a 92 axle there should be a stamping of casting in the axle of 605535-1

No tag. I did see a number cast into the case but not of such length and it was not legible. Otherwise it does have "35C" cast into the case.

The only thing that changes is whether or not the axle has a C clip to hold the axle in. However, the newer bearings and seals all are the same part number.

So, I should pop open the cover and look for C-clips? I need to change the gear lube anyway...

Right now I'm concentrating on rust repair of the rear floor but I'll hopefully get to the axle in a couple days.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah, pop it open and see what you have

XJ Wheeler
09-01-2015, 08:05 PM
No tag. I did see a number cast into the case but not of such length and it was not legible. Otherwise it does have "35C" cast into the case.

The "35C" means you have the Dana 35 C-clip axle. And since '89 was non C-clip and '92 got the C-clip version you have your answer.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Hawkeye-Harris
09-01-2015, 08:59 PM
The "35C" means you have the Dana 35 C-clip axle. And since '89 was non C-clip and '92 got the C-clip version you have your answer.

Thank you. I will have a look-see soon.

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Stock Specifications
Author: ThePhantum
Note: Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.

Also see:
• http://www.jeeptelevision.com/htm/Jeep%20Axle%20Dana%2035c.htm
• http://jeepin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48128

XJ Wheeler
09-01-2015, 10:53 PM
I had always heard the other way but no telling if it was correct as I don't remember where. Only one way to tell for sure! Good thing is you gotta open it up anyway. Good luck and have fun!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Hawkeye-Harris
09-17-2015, 09:50 AM
I finally got around to removing the differential cover and, no C-clips, so it's a 1989 axle, and yes, it does have 35c cast into the diff housing.

So now I've got the left axle-shaft out and am in the process of replacing the wheel bearing and seals.

abebehrmann
09-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Glad you got it figured out. Good luck the bearing repair.