PDA

View Full Version : New chapter

OrangeXJ
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
As some of you know and some don't I've been working in the oil and gas service industry for the last 25+ years. The service industry is driven by the price of the all mighty barrel of oil. Well the price of oil is extremely low now. Good for the consumer bad for the service industry. Depending on who you listen to lay offs in this industry have been between 105k-200k people. The company I use to work for ( we will get to that in a minute ) has laid off around 20k this year with more to come. I worked in the offshore side of the business where last year when the price of oil stayed around $100 per bbl compared to now in the $40 dollar a bbl range. I worked around 200 days offshore. So far this year I've been offshore 3 times for about 60 days. I've been through several of these slumps in the price of oil. I've been laid off before and it sucks. So this go round I'm beating them to the punch. Friday the 28th was my last day working for a oil and gas service co. and quit before they had a chance to lay me off. ( it was going to happen sooner or later ). So before I quit I bought this while I had a job

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/001_zpslzs1ci0n.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/GregKnowles/media/001_zpslzs1ci0n.jpg.html)

A good friend of mine for 20+ years owns a Hotshot service co in the Houston area and told me if I got a truck she would put me to work.

It's a 2003 Isuzu NPR 18ft. flatbed with a 4 cyl turbo diesel with 200k on the clock. For its age it's in great shape. Mechanically and cosmetic wise. So I'm going from looking at water all day to pavement. Plus side I will be home every night. Down side is having to put up with Houston traffic. Hopefully you won't see me on the news for a road rage story.

Wish me luck

Mudderoy
08-29-2015, 01:21 PM
As some of you know and some don't I've been working in the oil and gas service industry for the last 25+ years. The service industry is driven by the price of the all mighty barrel of oil. Well the price of oil is extremely low now. Good for the consumer bad for the service industry. Depending on who you listen to lay offs in this industry have been between 105k-200k people. The company I use to work for ( we will get to that in a minute ) has laid off around 20k this year with more to come. I worked in the offshore side of the business where last year when the price of oil stayed around $100 per bbl compared to now in the $40 dollar a bbl range. I worked around 200 days offshore. So far this year I've been offshore 3 times for about 60 days. I've been through several of these slumps in the price of oil. I've been laid off before and it sucks. So this go round I'm beating them to the punch. Friday the 28th was my last day working for a oil and gas service co. and quit before they had a chance to lay me off. ( it was going to happen sooner or later ). So before I quit I bought this while I had a job

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/001_zpslzs1ci0n.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/GregKnowles/media/001_zpslzs1ci0n.jpg.html)

A good friend of mine for 20+ years owns a Hotshot service co in the Houston area and told me if I got a truck she would put me to work.

It's a 2003 Isuzu NPR 18ft. flatbed with a 4 cyl turbo diesel with 200k on the clock. For its age it's in great shape. Mechanically and cosmetic wise. So I'm going from looking at water all day to pavement. Plus side I will be home every night. Down side is having to put up with Houston traffic. Hopefully you won't see me on the news for a road rage story.

Wish me luck

All that time to listen to 190+ episodes of a podcast! lol and good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Brasscatz
08-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Good luck, buddy. I've had a friend or two laid off from the industry as well.

It's a scary decision to make, but I know you've made the right one. God is on your side, and nothing can compare with coming home every night.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Good luck with that Greg

bluedragon436
08-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Good luck with that Greg... Seems like a decent deal, especially on the purchase of the truck.. Looks like someone took pretty good care of it.. And certainly nothing wrong with already having a hookup to keep you going, as goods will always need transporting... Now you should get you a Ham license... Then you can do scans and listen or talk to folks when stuck in that traffic...

tinythexj
08-30-2015, 06:07 PM
I completely understand how much lay offs suck. I started in my trade through the union and quickly realized that unions here in Florida are useless and have a limited workload. I started with a non union company 9 years ago and haven't looked back. New ventures can be scary and daunting but it sounds like you're ready for whatever comes your way.

XJ Wheeler
08-30-2015, 06:24 PM
It's a good field to get into as someone always need something delivered. Until the last three years that's what we did for 7 years. With plenty of time in the Houston region. You may want to look into a 1ton and 40 foot gooseneck. More pay and companies are willing to hire you easier. But the license would be an issue as you'll be over 26k gcwr. Are you gonna do inner city or long haul?

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help ya out.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

xj-jake
08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Good luck on your new endeavor Greg. I'm sure things will work out just fine for you and your family. Keep it shiny side up!