PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

Infidel Edition
08-26-2015, 09:22 PM
So the other day I went out early to hit the road and 1st time ever didn't start...
Just cranked ....
Pumped the gas a time or 2 and no joy.

Stole the wife's car and went to work.
Got home and it started fine as if nothing was wrong.

About a week later with no issues, same crank with nothing.
I'm guessing its a fuel pressure issue based on what I've read. But what the pressure posts don't mention is how to fix a fuel pressure issue.

I'm gonna stick a pressure gauge on it (I picked one up to permeability attach it)... But need an extra elbow as there's vacuum lines in the way.

So of its low~ is that the pump? Or the fuel rail? And how do I know which?

XJ Wheeler
08-26-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm betting it's gonna be the cps (crankshaft position sensor). It's common for it to fail and cause it to randomly not start, but still crank over. And then be fine.

You can test for fuel by pressing the valve on the fuel rail, not a precise measurement but will let you know if it's a big problem or not. Be sure to have a rag or something to catch the fuel in case it sprays out.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
08-27-2015, 09:40 AM
X2 on the CPS. But to be sure next time it cranks, turn off the key twice after 2 seconds of on. This runs the fuel pump for that time and will make sure the system is pressurized

Mudderoy
08-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Bet it's the CPS or the CKS. The CKS(sp?) went out on the 99 about a month ago.

Infidel Edition
08-27-2015, 12:29 PM
I've got a lifetime replacement on the CPS...
...replaced twice (once 3 or 4 years ago & once when I thought it was a problem a year and a half ago)...
So it's a free and easy swap from OReilly :beer:

I also picked up a pressure gauge to put on the rail, but need to get an angled fitting to make it work with all the vacuum hoses in the way (fitting mounted right in front of the valve).

thanks all

Infidel Edition
10-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Hey... What's the CKS?
Ive replaced the CP's, throttle position sensor, and a few years back ... the ecu.

4.3LXJ
10-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Distributor cam position sensor