PDA

View Full Version : Kayak, Bike, Cargo solutions

packmule1911
08-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Hey Folks,

My wife wanted to start kayaking, so I got her one for our recent anniversary. I like the idea of doing this together so we're getting me one too. Plan to get a set of j-hooks to mount to the factory roof rack.

We also are trying to do a bunch more camping as a family (two kids).

AND, we're wanting to bike more.

BUT, the XJ doesn't have much room for people and stuff. So ....

I found a used Class III which I put on last night. We plan to get one of those hitch cargo baskets since the roof rack will be occupied by kayaks. But we also want to get a hitch system for the bikes.

We're obviously going to have a LOT of fun with all of these activities, but I'm stumped on a plan for how to do it all. It's not likely we'll bike and kayak when camping, but maybe. Thoughts?

It's my job to figure it all out. Thanks.

4.3LXJ
08-26-2015, 11:35 AM
I kind of like the Thule approach. Once you get the cross bars, you can easily change what goes on them. They have kayak and bike racks to fit. I have the ski rack and bike rack to fit the bars

packmule1911
08-26-2015, 01:47 PM
I've used Yakima before on other cars. The kayak's can only go on the roof, and I'm using j-hooks for that.

The stumper is having extra storage with a hitch mounted platform AND a hitch mounted bike rack. Not sure that will work. Probably make my backend sag a bunch.

prerunner1982
08-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Get a front hitch and put one or the other on the front. Bike rack on the front would likely let more air flow, but would obstruct vision more than the cargo rack up front... which would make you have a long nose that you would have to be aware of, but if the cargo rack was on the back would have a long rear... so either way. The cargo rack on the front might decrease air flow through the radiator.

packmule1911
08-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Get a front hitch.

HEY, that's a cool idea. I can't afford a new groovy bumper. Looks like there are some solutions that work for a stock bumper if you cut a hole for the receiver to poke through.

prerunner1982
08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Hole is just in lower facia. I have one on my 93 and I really just wanted it for recovery.

packmule1911
08-26-2015, 03:26 PM
I have one on my 93 and I really just wanted it for recovery.

I can skip the pursuit for tow hooks then, since this would serve that purpose as well.

Thanks!

nickyg
08-26-2015, 05:02 PM
you could just trailer all your gear

xjzaped
08-29-2015, 08:06 AM
Check out JCR Off-road for bumpers…bought in one of their sales 6 years ago, got bumpers and sliders fully assembled for around $500.

I've had bad experiences with Yakima and XJs (the kind where the OEM rails pull out of the roof).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
I would say you'd probably enjoy finding some spots that you guys could camp, and take the kayaks out while camping... My GF and I, as well as a few folks from work, all rented kayaks (before I purchased two of my own)... and we had a trailer to haul the kayaks behind my gf's LJ, and took our camping gear (still need to purchase more and better equipment for further camping outings).. and we had a blast, went kayaking for a few hours, then went to camp grounds, setup, got a huge storm that came through, and then went kayaking again the next day... had a good time... Or heck, if you and your wife wanted to go camping together, could load up the tents and a few small items in the kayaks, and go and find a spot to kayak to and then camp there... Like small islands and such... I know in SC as well as up in MD, VA area, there are quite a few places that are listed that are open for you to camp on like that...

packmule1911
09-01-2015, 02:46 PM
That's the idea.

We picked up the second kayak last Saturday, and a couple of Malone J-hook racks for the roof. We're hauling 127lbs of kayak, and my Cherokee manual says 150lbs is the limit. Hope that factory stuff holds up.

Need to get a hitch mounted cargo carrier for the rear, and a front hitch a 4 bike hitch rack and/or spare tire carrier.

Of course with all of the stuff hanging off of it, add in some help for the saggy springs.