PDA

View Full Version : Fuel synchronization

OGCollard
08-19-2015, 03:46 PM
The fsm bulletin states that if you are reinstalling the distributer after rotating the enine while it is out you must reindex the camshaft position sensor. It says after you get it installed you need to go have the fuel synchronization set with a drb tool while engine is running. Wiuld fuel synchronization being a little off lead to dying at idle?

Carves
11-18-2015, 10:27 AM
The fsm bulletin states that if you are reinstalling the distributer after rotating the enine while it is out you must reindex the camshaft position sensor. It says after you get it installed you need to go have the fuel synchronization set with a drb tool while engine is running. Wiuld fuel synchronization being a little off lead to dying at idle?

The camshaft position sensor is all about fuel synch. Doesnt have much, if any, input - in regards to what a distributor used to do back in the day.

Did you re-index it when you put it all back together ?

Did you get a description of a P0340 code.

P0340 (M) .... No Cam Signal At PCM .... No fuel sync,
... is the scant info in the factory manual.

I read somewhere that the DRB service is actually, oil pump testing or something ??

... and I'm not sure ... but I suspect that your, adjusting the butterfly valve, has probably compensated slightly for a fuel synch issue ... but its not really the "fix" that is needed ? .. ;);)

Hope you get it sorted soon.

OGCollard
11-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Well last night i tried some other things. My camshaft sensor when i replaced it had one bolt break in distributor. So replacement was held in by one bolt. Started thinking maybe it vibrates just enough that it loses its connection or what not. Took out distributor, got bolt out, put sensor back on snug with both bolts now. Also replaced the iat sensor and added dieelectric grease to all connections last night. Seemed to run alot better until it stopped trying to shift gears once it got warmed up. I read that could have something to do with the tps. I wonder if messing with the butterfly valve set screw messed up the tps and threw everything out of whack causing the shiftimg issue. Or maybe my tranny is fried. I sure hope not

Carves
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
This is in the fuel system section of the manual ... chapter 14

A throttle valve (plate) is used to supply air for above idle conditions.

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), IAC motor and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP) are attached to the throttle body. The accelerator pedal cable, speed control cable (when equipped) and automatic transmission control cable (when equipped) are connected to the throttle arm.

A (factory adjusted) set screw is used to mechanically limit the position of the throttle body throttle plate. Never attempt to adjust the engine idle speed using this screw.

All idle speed functions are controlled by the PCM.

I'm guessing you might have caused the tranny shift issue,
... Resetting the butterfly valve screw, ought to have things back to normal ... in regard to revs and shifting.

OGCollard
11-18-2015, 11:14 AM
I think i did to. Exactly where it was set at is anyones guess, but i know i need to close the valve so i know which direction to go.

OGCollard
11-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Well, i took throttle body off and lowered screw until it would let the butterfly close completely, the turned it until there was a gap big enough tobslip just a piece of paper in. Turned it on an it was idling on the second line so what is that right about 750? Went out this morning and turned it on cold, idled fine all the way up to operating temp without dying, i never once touched the gas. I also put it in gear and out of gear with foot on brake and did not die. I believe it entered closed loop as well with no problems. Saturday afternoon will drive it around a bit and see if the shifting issues return