PDA

View Full Version : The case of the disappearing tranny fluid

OGCollard
08-18-2015, 08:24 PM
I think it might have been cracked. Dont have a torque wrench small enough to measure the 5 ft lbs or what not the pan needs. So i tried to make do. Methinks that tranny pan is not tight enough....

tinythexj
08-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Harbor Freight has a great set for low cost and they have been tested and proven to be accurate.

OGCollard
08-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Do you know if those wrenches measure inch lbs? Thats really what it calls for

4.3LXJ
08-18-2015, 10:46 PM
When you take a pan off, you have to make sure that the gasket surface is straight. Generally the factory tightens them enough to dimple the holes a little. Then when you put it back, it gets even worse and the gasket is not tight between bolts. Whenever I take a pan off, I check this and straighten it with a small ball peen if needed before installing

OGCollard
08-18-2015, 11:59 PM
That is good to know 4.3xj. I had no idea about that. I thought it just needed to be clean so i spent 3 hours getting it spic n span before putting on. I think since there is fluid in it right now and i have the pan up there i am going to tighten the bolts to spec and see how it does. I need to change filter again in about four hundred miles so i will check it then

bluedragon436
08-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Do you know if those wrenches measure inch lbs? Thats really what it calls for

I know the 1/4" does measure in lbs... IIRC the 1/2" measures foot lbs only, but you could convert it down to inch lbs... just not for sure if it goes low enough to get the low number of inch lbs you need... so I'd say pick up the 1/4" wrench and use it to make sure you are good to torque, and not overtorquing as that would cause bends in the pan, and thus leaks..or even worse snapping the bolts off, or cracking pan over time... I have the 1/4 and 1/2" wrenches and have used them numerous times working on my vehicle as well as others...

tinythexj
08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
I know the 1/4" does measure in lbs... IIRC the 1/2" measures foot lbs only, but you could convert it down to inch lbs... just not for sure if it goes low enough to get the low number of inch lbs you need... so I'd say pick up the 1/4" wrench and use it to make sure you are good to torque, and not overtorquing as that would cause bends in the pan, and thus leaks..or even worse snapping the bolts off, or cracking pan over time... I have the 1/4 and 1/2" wrenches and have used them numerous times working on my vehicle as well as others...

Yeah all my torque wrenches are fout pounds and I get the conversions online from inch to foot pounds.