PDA

View Full Version : Question - Cracked head???

blackbeardxj
08-18-2015, 08:30 AM
I own a 2001 XJ and its mixing oil and radiator fluid and I had to refill my radiator fluid at least 2 times a day so I took it to a garage and and they said I have an engine cylinder head problem so they got the cylinder head out and they told Me to take to another garage to get it checked out using a pressure test to find where the leak is.
So the "other garage " told me that the cylinder head is unfixable and the cylinder head needs to be changed.
So since my engine uses a coil pack and older model xj uses coil wires
So my quastion is will a 1997 cylinder head will fit into my 2001 xj engine ?? because I found a 2001 cylinder head in the scrap yard for 300$ and the 1997 cylinder head is for a 100$

NW99XJ
08-18-2015, 08:58 AM
The head should be the same.
The difference in ignition systems doesn't affect the type of valve train.
The coil(s) just send spark to the spark plugs, so regardless if it is from coil packs, or from a distributor, that side of things doesn't come into play here.
For instance, the head from a 95 XJ would work on a block from a 2000...etc.
The only time this is NOT the case... is when we are talking about the different engines...such as trying to put a head from a Renix engine onto the block of a H.O.

So in short.... the answer is YES.... the head from the 97 block will work fine on your 2000.
Good luck with the rebuild. Let us know how things turn out.

blackbeardxj
08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
The head should be the same.
The difference in ignition systems doesn't affect the type of valve train.
The coil(s) just send spark to the spark plugs, so regardless if it is from coil packs, or from a distributor, that side of things doesn't come into play here.
For instance, the head from a 95 XJ would work on a block from a 2000...etc.
The only time this is NOT the case... is when we are talking about the different engines...such as trying to put a head from a Renix engine onto the block of a H.O.

So in short.... the answer is YES.... the head from the 97 block will work fine on your 2000.
Good luck with the rebuild. Let us know how things turn out.
Thanks so much for the help I'll start working on it tomorrow

manicmonki
08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
The exhaust ports are different from 1997 to 2001 heads.

Mudderoy
08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
2000 and 2001 are prone to cracking because of a design change. The pre-200 head is what you want as a replacement.

The exhaust ports are bigger and along with the redesigned intake on the 1999 - 2001 4.0l you should see a horse power gain.

1995 was the best year for 4.0l heads (check this) but 1995 through 1998 are all about the same.

Coil pack or distributor makes no difference to the head.

denverd1
08-18-2015, 03:29 PM
I've heard about the mysterious 94/95 head flowing better. I'd put a 99 head on there and be done

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

tinythexj
08-18-2015, 06:19 PM
I can't believe they want that much just for the heads. I was able to get the head on my 98 redone for 200 bucks out the door.I did all the removal and install myself but I haven't any issues after 10,00o plus road and trail miles.

OGCollard
08-19-2015, 12:05 AM
I know all about the head popping abilities of the 200 cast. If i were thinking about it when i replaced the head i would have gone pre 99. But...i wasnt thinking. Hoping i am not forced to rethink the decision. The exhaust port being larger on the older heads is exactly what a certified jeep tech told me was the difference. My question would be would you have to change the exhaust manifold then as well? Seems like yes.....

denverd1
08-19-2015, 12:07 AM
I know all about the head popping abilities of the 200 cast. If i were thinking about it when i replaced the head i would have gone pre 99. But...i wasnt thinking. Hoping i am not forced to rethink the decision. The exhaust port being larger on the older heads is exactly what a certified jeep tech told me was the difference. My question would be would you have to change the exhaust manifold then as well? Seems like yes.....
Just polish the manifold to match the head. Grind it down so it flows

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk