PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bump Stop Spring Plates

tinythexj
08-16-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm looking to fab up some replacement leaf spring plates/bump stops for the rear and I was doing some research and found that most places make them out of 3/8 steel rather than 1/4". I saw where one company at one point offered them in 1/4 and 3/8 but now only offers 3/8, can I safely make them out of 1/4 steel or would 3/8 be the way to go?

XJ Wheeler
08-16-2015, 05:19 PM
The ones that incorporate the leaf spring ubolts? You might be okay with the 1/4" but i like to go overkill so it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the 3/8" with the amount of stress they can get.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

tinythexj
08-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah I'm looking to build the ones that replace the spring plate. I was actually thinking off adding 1/4" plate above the spring plate. I saw that there was a company that made them out of 1/4" plate but now it seems everyone makes it out of 3/8" so I'm assuming its to deal with those stresses. Even our stock plates are pretty think so I'm thinking it may be best to match that thickness. By the time I get a section of 3/8 or 1/2 plate to fab them up I may just buy the pre made ones at $48 shipped.

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 06:57 PM
If you are using the plate as a bump stop, then you will have to reinforce the plate or use the 3/8" stock

XJ Wheeler
08-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Yeah I'm looking to build the ones that replace the spring plate. I was actually thinking off adding 1/4" plate above the spring plate. I saw that there was a company that made them out of 1/4" plate but now it seems everyone makes it out of 3/8" so I'm assuming its to deal with those stresses. Even our stock plates are pretty think so I'm thinking it may be best to match that thickness. By the time I get a section of 3/8 or 1/2 plate to fab them up I may just buy the pre made ones at $48 shipped.

I hear ya. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to make it yourself with only a little price difference.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.