PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mounting remote coolant temp gauge!

tmac35235
08-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Anyone know where I should mount my new Bosch 2" water temperature capillary tube? Not sure where the location on the engine it goes. The gauge has a little light with it and im sure I can handle that part and the mounting of the gauge.
I dont trust the old gauge and have had over heating problems in the past and dont want to crack the head.
There is not a port in the thermostat housing.
1989 XJ w/renix 4.0L

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2015, 11:01 PM
On yours the factory sending unit is in the top of the head to the rear on the drivers side. But I believe you can get a thermostat housing from a high output 4.0 and it will have the opening you could use for it, assuming the thread size and pitch is the same.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Mudderoy
08-16-2015, 01:29 PM
On yours the factory sending unit is in the top of the head to the rear on the drivers side. But I believe you can get a thermostat housing from a high output 4.0 and it will have the opening you could use for it, assuming the thread size and pitch is the same.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

I thought the pre-97's had two temp sensors, one on the thermostat housing the other at the rear of the head. Not true?

XJ Wheeler
08-16-2015, 05:40 PM
I thought the pre-97's had two temp sensors, one on the thermostat housing the other at the rear of the head. Not true?

The high output pre-97s did but the renix (87-90) had one in the radiator (the same that later models had moved to the thermostat) and the one in the head.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Carves
08-16-2015, 07:58 PM
X 2 on having a look at a later model thermostat housing, to see if its useful.

Other thing you can do - is buy an adapter to fit in the top radiator hose ... or if you dont have a flow control tap on the heater hose, you could put the adapter in it.

http://prosportgauges.com/images/products/detail/shiftlights5c.jpg

Mudderoy
08-17-2015, 03:56 AM
X 2 on having a look at a later model thermostat housing, to see if its useful.

Other thing you can do - is buy an adapter to fit in the top radiator hose ... or if you dont have a flow control tap on the heater hose, you could put the adapter in it.

http://prosportgauges.com/images/products/detail/shiftlights5c.jpg

This was what I was going to do on my 98 before Carves told me about the Engine Watchdog

tmac35235
09-02-2015, 09:34 AM
What a great idea! Thanks a million

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk