PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Skid Plates?

ChaseRallix
08-14-2015, 11:43 PM
I've been wanting to fab up some skid plates... Anyone done this and have some pictures to show/tips?

Thanks!

tinythexj
08-15-2015, 06:42 AM
What areas are you looking to cover?

ChaseRallix
08-15-2015, 08:53 PM
T case and a bit of the oil pan. But I've seen a skid plate on a military hummer that looked almost like a ladder going down the whole thing that was pretty cool... Anyone seen that beforE?

KMW-NWXJ
08-16-2015, 12:40 AM
The ladder style is ok for saving your drivetrain components, but they tend to get hung up on rocks rather than slide over them. Just imagine dragging a ladder over over a boulder vs dragging a 2x6 over it. One is jerky and catchy, and the other is smooth and slides easily.

XJ Wheeler
08-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Good point, and a large skid like the hummers have can eat up a lot of clearance.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

ChaseRallix
08-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Yeah I gotcha, was just wondering if anyone had done it before haha :P

Carves
08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
The ladder style is ok for saving your drivetrain components, but they tend to get hung up on rocks rather than slide over them. Just imagine dragging a ladder over over a boulder vs dragging a 2x6 over it. One is jerky and catchy, and the other is smooth and slides easily.

X 2.

Ladder style is better for cleaning in grassy areas tho.

The number of times I had to grab the gardening gloves and extinguisher,

... because of the smouldering mulch under the gearbox, on my TJs bar-b-q plate .. :rolleyes: .. :mad: .. :D

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Chase, with the kind of terrain we see, I am opting for a different type of ladder style in some areas, the rungs running with the length of the vehicle

ChaseRallix
08-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Chase, with the kind of terrain we see, I am opting for a different type of ladder style in some areas, the rungs running with the length of the vehicle

Sounds interesting, could you post a picture of what you mean?

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 11:54 PM
I don't have any pics, just a pic in my head. But basically, if we had our entire undercariage plated, the heat in the cabin would be terrible, not to mention trying to keep the tranny cool. So I think I am going to add tubing mounted to the 2X4 cross member and frame bracing I have to deflect any rocks but allow all the gear boxes to breath

ChaseRallix
08-17-2015, 12:21 AM
That's sort of what I was thinking. Do it and make doubles! I'll drive up hahaha

4.3LXJ
08-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Shop is full right now, you have to wait your turn :D