PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! I need rear window regulator

DanXJ97
08-13-2015, 07:31 PM
I have 1997 Cherokee four door and I need a left rear manual window regulator, mopar shows that they do not have it new. I can't find one used in Phoenix, does anyone know where I can start looking?? Thanks :bang:

nickyg
08-14-2015, 01:52 AM
I went trough the same thing a few months ago. I found some new. I can't remember the website but they were very pricey. About 180 each if I remember correct

Try www.car-parts.com , this will show all the salvage yards that have the part. some will ship for a fee.

I did find some information on how to repair them. I'll have to search a bit.

here's a link to my thread.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20024

nickyg
08-14-2015, 02:00 AM
Found it.

http://jeepxj1998.blogspot.com/

bluedragon436
08-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Yeah I've checked all the sources and websites that usually have just about everything... and I've been able to find plenty of them for the 84-96... but nothing manual for the 97+.. which is kind of crazy to me... I'm guessing there were just far more power window equipped 97+'s.... I would say do the car-parts.com search and see if you can't source one in a PNP either near by you or one that someone would be able to pull it out and ship it to you... I'll talk to a friend of mine who picks up 97+ XJ's and parts them out.. and see if he might have any in his inventory...

bluedragon436
08-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Well he said he doesn't have any for the rear right now, and says that it is a big thing that people ask for as it is so hard to source... But one more thing I'm thinking is... I know the 97 XJ is a "bastard" year for the XJ's, as I've found out with my 97... and some stuff is 97+, and some stuff is 96- parts.... I wonder if your rear regulator might not be a 96- regulator.. in which case I can find those... Can you get access to it, to see if there is a part number on it??

DanXJ97
08-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the help so far everybody. On mopar's website I came up with two numbers, this one is no longer available 55076293AC and this one is for the left side but does not state if it is front or rear 55154961AE. Dan

DanXJ97
08-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Thanks Nick, that was a good repair write up. I will try to get it apart and see if I can find a part number on it for you James. Dan

bluedragon436
08-14-2015, 05:32 PM
According to a few different websites I've looked at 55154961AE is LH rear, but is the electric regulator w/ motor...

Morris 4x4 Center (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/window-regulators-rear-left-side-55154961ae.html)

DanXJ97
08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
What would be everyone's thoughts on a "How to" article on this when I get around to fixing it???? Dan

bluedragon436
08-15-2015, 06:19 PM
What would be everyone's thoughts on a "How to" article on this when I get around to fixing it???? Dan

Absolutely not!!! LOL.. I KID I KID... no, but seriously if you are unable to find a part (which I'm finding that a huge PITA for manual windows)... and you are able to figure out a fix, especially if it's a fix for the regulator then by all means post away... Never hurts to have references that might help out the next guy/girl if they get caught with the same issue and especially the same issue finding a "new" part..

Out of curiosity... what is it that it is or is not doing?? like when you try to roll the window down is the handle not moving at all, or it moves but the window isn't rolling down??

bluedragon436
08-15-2015, 06:36 PM
I'm also almost wondering if you might not be able to use a power regulator and remove the motor and maybe the gear that the motor engages, and the handle take it's place... wish I was at home, cause then I could take a look at the old drivers side front one I have from my 97, and see if you can remove the gear... I know you can swap the motor... but not sure if it's possible to remove the gear easily or not, and be able to use the handle to that... I mean, like I wonder what the dealership would do if you brought your XJ in to them with this issue... would they just be like... man that suck... guess you need a new Jeep??!!

DanXJ97
08-15-2015, 10:55 PM
When I try to use the window crank the window only goes down about an inch or so and then it makes a racketing sound. After that it will not round up or down. I took the panel off and pushed back up, there was a clicking sound as I pushed it up and it stays up. I just had the windows tinted wednesday and of course they said it worked fine. I couldn't say a lot about it since it is 18 years old. I start my vacation the last of next week and I want to take my Cherokee so it may be awhile before I get it fixed. Dan

DanXJ97
08-15-2015, 11:12 PM
I wonder if a left front will work in the rear????

bluedragon436
08-16-2015, 02:19 AM
I wonder if a left front will work in the rear????

This is something else that I've thought about as well...