PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Portable GPS or Trail App?

ChaseRallix
08-11-2015, 11:01 PM
New here and my next mod is going to be a good GPS and/or trail GPS app. I've been doing it old school for a while with topo maps and what not but think it would be good, and a bit easier, to get a good gps or a good app for it. I've tried googling it but all the treads I've found are at least a couple years old and 2 years later tech can change quite a bit.

So my question is what are you running? What do you like and what have you run that you didn't like?
I'd definitely like a app/gps module that works without cell signal as I don't think i've ever wheeled where there was cell signal, and that has the option to leave bread crumbs.
I have a Nexus 7, iPad and iPhone 6. All of which have built in GPS chips that work without cell signal as long as the map if preloaded.

Thanks guys!

Carves
08-12-2015, 12:24 AM
FWIW .... and imho,

... buy the cheapest thing you can get.

I've got a little navman that Ive had for years and heres what I think of it.

Type in start point ... type in finish point,

... and travel on roads you dont want to .. :rolleyes:

If I need to sit down for an hour, typing in a bunch of waypoints to use the roads I want to ... then I still need a map ... and may as well just use it.

Zoom in on the little three inch screen to see the details ... and it shows less area than what I can see by looking out the windscreen .. :rolleyes:

Its great for telling me where I am ... but that doesnt mean squat - in relation to where I started ... or want to be ... or even, should be.

Has been handy for city driving to a degree,

... but the only thing I really use it for ... is pinpointing/double checking my position when using a topo map.

Other than that - its just another waste of space, electronic gizmo, sucking power out of the cigarette lighter socket .. :D:D

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
I like Back Country Navigator. However you have to do a bit of homework and make sure you download all the maps you will need while you have phone service. If you don't, it will still record your track without the maps and you can get them later

ChaseRallix
08-16-2015, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I got that part sorted out and downloaded some local places for testing. So far very pleased!

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 11:56 PM
I like it a lot. The only problem I had the entire trip was phone problems. Battery decided to go south so it shut itself off without saving the trip. Cheap phone though