PDA

View Full Version : LED off road lighting discussion

tinythexj
08-11-2015, 07:56 PM
I was listening to the 4x4 Podcast on the way home today and they were discussing LED off road lighting and more specifically talking about the great product that Rigid Industries versus a chinese knock off. They talked about getting three to five pairs of lights sometimes for the price of a pair of Rigid lights (assuming the Duallys). Wanted to start of a discussion of wether you'd go with the Rigid or similar brand high quality LED lights or just go with the knock offs and why. I personally bought the Duallys versus knock offs after seeing how they performed on a friends JK after I installed them. The fact that they are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty definitely sealed the deal as well.

nickyg
08-11-2015, 08:14 PM
I have a set of these on the back for the past 6 months seem to do good so far.

2pcs 18W CREE LED Flood Beamwork Light Offroad Lamp Car Truck Boat Mining 4WD | eBay

tinythexj
08-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I've seen that style before and they aren't bad for the price. I get a kick out of the guys that have their knock off light bars in the 6-24" and my Duallys are just as bright if not brighter. I actually bought a set of smoked lenses for mine so that I can use them on the road without blinding people or getting pulled over. I was actually thinking of using a cheap pair as back up lights but worry how well the moisture will stay out of them or how long they will last.

XJ Wheeler
08-11-2015, 10:17 PM
I can't afford the name brand stuff. lol. I've had several "knock-off" lights now and for the most part I've been satisfied. I've seen 40"-50" rigid lightbars and compared to my cheap 50" its not worth the price difference, even if I had the money. They didn't impress me considering the 50" is around $1500. I could replace mine 13 times before it gets to that much. I don't blame others for doing it though. I do wish the cheaper ones were made here and the assumed reliability and better build quality would be nice.

Mudderoy
08-11-2015, 10:34 PM
I feel like that kid in class that studied and the teacher asks a question I know the answer to!

I wouldn't spend $1500 for a light bar and I also refused to buy those $300 Monster HDMI cables. ;)

https://youtu.be/U0Sp2tiHVX0

https://youtu.be/FIYlsCuDlus

https://youtu.be/OXGn13uIOHE

Mudderoy
08-11-2015, 10:54 PM
And just when you thought it was safe to go outside in the dark....

tinythexj
08-12-2015, 05:35 AM
To me regardless of the brand the 50" lightbars are pointless and only really needed by the true offroad rigs. I think it all comes down to what you are using your lights for, how often you use them and what kind of conditions you are going to submit them to. Mine get plenty of use both on and off the trails and it's nice to have a great lighting option that won't drain your battery like some of my previous set ups.

bluedragon436
08-12-2015, 06:37 AM
I'm going with "knockoff" lights, because I'm broke and can't afford the nicer ones... The ones I'm looking at going with have a lifetime warranty just like Rigid, and they stand behind their warranty as well.. I'm looking at running a small bar on my front bumper, pods on my A-pillars and flush mounts on my rear bumper...

Mudderoy
08-12-2015, 07:02 AM
To me regardless of the brand the 50" lightbars are pointless and only really needed by the true offroad rigs. I think it all comes down to what you are using your lights for, how often you use them and what kind of conditions you are going to submit them to. Mine get plenty of use both on and off the trails and it's nice to have a great lighting option that won't drain your battery like some of my previous set ups.

Off road lights are pointless, until you really need them. Not only can they be used for off road they can be important to have in emergencies. You never know when you may be using your highly capable rig to evacuate, or perhaps you're trying to get to your family after a weather event. Anything you can use to better illuminate your way to make debris or downed power lines visible enhances the possibility of your success of getting where you are going.

I didn't build my Jeep for off road, I built it as a way to get around the vehicles locked to the paved roads. The off road part is just gravy.

xj-jake
08-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Off road lights are pointless, until you really need them. Not only can they be used for off road they can be important to have in emergencies. You never know when you may be using your highly capable rig to evacuate, or perhaps you're trying to get to your family after a weather event. Anything you can use to better illuminate your way to make debris or downed power lines visible enhances the possibility of your success of getting where you are going.

I didn't build my Jeep for off road, I built it as a way to get around the vehicles locked to the paved roads. The off road part is just gravy.

I agree with this statement. Let's be logical about this, who really goes offroading at night? Yeah there's those guys out there but most of the parks and trails generally closes at night. For me it really came down to a safety thing like Tony says. When people ask me why I have the big lights on my jeep I jokingly say I like so see what I'm shooting at.

Last fall when my dad shot his deer I pulled the Jeep up and we used the light bars to gut it out. Ever tried gutting a deer at night with a half dead flash light? Again, helping my dad, he trapped a coyote and didn't have his gun with to dispose the animal. I showed up and we were able to safely take care of it and remake the set.

At night, when there are no other cars, I do turn on the 20" on the bumper because it really does help the peripheral vision especially on the narrow county roads. For me it's gotten to be something like carrying a pocket knife. It's nice to have ready access to it but once you don't have it you wish you did!

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2015, 06:30 PM
My whole thing is being prepared. It's why I have a shovel in the back, an axe by the drivers seat, and a seatbelt cutter in the console. Being prepared brings me peace knowing I can handle certain situations. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the look of my bars. But if there was no lightbars I'd have big round halogens. :D

But this does bring up another point I try and get across to some people, as many don't seem to understand that these lights aren't street legal. I understand when no one is around, I've turned mine of to see the output as well. But I see it just about every day, someone running cubes, pods, or bars on the road. They usually get a flash of my 12" to get the point across. They're just too bright for oncoming cars.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Mudderoy
08-12-2015, 06:43 PM
I drive with my dual 7" LEDs when it's raining out, or getting dark. It makes my Jeep stand out to those dumbasses that either want to pull out in front of me from a side street, or strip center, or pull in front of me on the road.

I have never had an issue with the police. In fact one time I turned on the 20" by mistake and I noticed that the reflecting coming off the back of the Sherrif's patrol car was really bright. Checked the switches, and turned off the 20 and turned on the 7's. :D

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2015, 06:48 PM
It's Houston, they'll pull out in front of anyone. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

tinythexj
08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
I agree with this statement. Let's be logical about this, who really goes offroading at night? Yeah there's those guys out there but most of the parks and trails generally closes at night. For me it really came down to a safety thing like Tony says. When people ask me why I have the big lights on my jeep I jokingly say I like so see what I'm shooting at.

Last fall when my dad shot his deer I pulled the Jeep up and we used the light bars to gut it out. Ever tried gutting a deer at night with a half dead flash light? Again, helping my dad, he trapped a coyote and didn't have his gun with to dispose the animal. I showed up and we were able to safely take care of it and remake the set.

At night, when there are no other cars, I do turn on the 20" on the bumper because it really does help the peripheral vision especially on the narrow county roads. For me it's gotten to be something like carrying a pocket knife. It's nice to have ready access to it but once you don't have it you wish you did!

I actually go night wheeling here in Florida several times a year, sometimes due to the heat of summer and many of our trails don't shut down at night. If we are in a larger group of rigs usually only the lead vehicle needs all the lights on. I think to me it all comes down to lumens per footprint of the fixture. It's nice having the smaller fixtures tucked away in my bumper and having a great output out of them rather than having to go with a larger bar in order to get the same output.

Mayooo
08-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Most of my wheeling starts in the evening and ends in darkness. Lights are a must for me mainly because I'm the lead vehicle and I just like to see what's ahead of me. I run cheap-o's and they work great for me. Currently I run a 31" on my roof rack a 4" at each corner of the rack. I'm working on a new rack that will feature the capability to aim the lights vertically by a switch in the cab. It will have 5 led pods and 3 pods on the bumper.. Total front output 57,600lm +/-. And of corse small pods for my side and rear.

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm not disagreeing that there aren't people that wheel at night. There definitely are. I think for most of us it's a preparedness mod. There is a time and place for everything out there and every mod we make. I sure do hope I'm never in a position that I need to use my winch but if I am I have it!

Mudderoy
08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
I remember when I interviewed Dean. He said he would sometimes go ask the guy behind him with the dual 110" light bars to take it down a notch. lol

Use the lights as you need them and be mindful of the folks in front of you that can see because of the glare off their dash! :D

Mayooo
08-19-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm not disagreeing that there aren't people that wheel at night. There definitely are. I think for most of us it's a preparedness mod. There is a time and place for everything out there and every mod we make. I sure do hope I'm never in a position that I need to use my winch but if I am I have it!

Yeah agree most people mod for preparedness. Those that do should play with the mods respectively. 95% of the mods me and my wheeling buddy does are necessity. We wheel in logging strippings. Our winch, lights, ect.. Get used a lot.
It's always an adventure with us.

TallGuyJeep
08-20-2015, 05:37 PM
My lights get the most use going down country roads at night to spot deer. The last time I went camping we had several delays on the way and had a long drive after dark. There was one instance where a doe and two fawns were on the shoulder of the road, the doe only a couple feet from the actual roadway. If I didn't have my 4 KC Daylighters on and the trucklites on high beam I wouldn't have seen them until we were nearly on top of them, instead I had plenty of time to slow down and be wary. They didn't step out on the road, but it definitely made me very grateful for having more than the stock crap headlights. That's the biggest reason for me to have them. Also very useful to light up around the corners of tight dirt road canyon switchbacks.

4.3LXJ
08-20-2015, 08:42 PM
My lights get the most use going down country roads at night to spot deer. The last time I went camping we had several delays on the way and had a long drive after dark. There was one instance where a doe and two fawns were on the shoulder of the road, the doe only a couple feet from the actual roadway. If I didn't have my 4 KC Daylighters on and the trucklites on high beam I wouldn't have seen them until we were nearly on top of them, instead I had plenty of time to slow down and be wary. They didn't step out on the road, but it definitely made me very grateful for having more than the stock crap headlights. That's the biggest reason for me to have them. Also very useful to light up around the corners of tight dirt road canyon switchbacks.

I had a couple of driving lights on the wifes 85. That is how I used them too

Carves
08-21-2015, 01:46 AM
This sort of scenario is fun after sundown ... without decent lighting.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Trip%20Pics/25052013/2505201317b_zpsac6c0e15.jpg

downsy
08-22-2015, 11:39 AM
They're useful. And compared to incandecent off road lights consume A LOT less power. I used to have a 24 inch light bar on my roof that was a 70 dollar AMAZON buy. Like having a second sun up there. My Jeep isn't a Baja truck and doesn't get driven at a million miles an hour off road so it worked and worked better than the stock headlights.

I think people do get way carried away with them though. On group rides we've always got the guy with thousands of dollars of LEDs on his Jeep that INSISTS on running them at full power all the time even if he's in the back and doens't need to see into space. Gets annoying.

I'm not a believer in the high end lights personally. Again because I'm not in a BAJA truck and I don't drive that fast off road. I had the 24 inch light bar and 4 Gennesai LED flood lights that were 16 dollars a pop. They got the job done and got it done well. My whole lighting setup was under 200 dollars and I had full coverage.

Pyrokid4
01-02-2016, 10:11 PM
So to throw something into the mix. I will preface with I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS BRAND, NOR DO I HAVE ANY AFFILIATION WITH THEM... Now that that's out of the way, I have been wanting to try a brand named fcklightbars (yeah I know funny brand name). Anyway they have lifetime warranty and actually have good costumer service as far as I could tell. Had some ideas for them and got one of the guys number and exchanged texts with him for a better part of half a day, just talking about how to improve their light bars. Now they aren't $50 Chinese bars but they also aren't $1500 rigids. Like I said I haven't tried them but want to in the near future. If anyone has had/knows someone who has had these brand of lights, some input would be awesome:). Website is fcklightbars.com

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-02-2016, 10:45 PM
I have to admit that I don't know much. But I have been looking. One thing I did notice is that their flood beam has a 20° angle. Most of the others have a 30° angle on them. Maybe not a deal breaker, but something to consider.

Pyrokid4
01-02-2016, 11:24 PM
I have to admit that I don't know much. But I have been looking. One thing I did notice is that their flood beam has a 20° angle. Most of the others have a 30° angle on them. Maybe not a deal breaker, but something to consider.
Is that on their combo lights or what version? And I think you can call and talk to them and get 30 degree optics. Their newest line is awesome. Uses similar optics as a rigid instead of the normal reflector bowl (not correct verbiage but it will work haha).

4.3LXJ
01-02-2016, 11:38 PM
It is on their combo lights. 8° and 20° is all they list

Pyrokid4
01-03-2016, 12:05 AM
It is on their combo lights. 8° and 20° is all they list
Hmm yeah oh okay. I think i read somewhere that they can do 30 degree if you ask. I will have to ask them that. Cause that is odd. I wonder why the difference

cantab27
01-03-2016, 12:19 AM
wheeling at night hell yeah ,,,,love that shit ,,,

do some of my best work

4.3LXJ
01-03-2016, 12:20 AM
Their blurb says these lights are designed for off road racing. That may be the difference since it is all high speed stuff. You don't need to know what is going on beside you at those speeds

Pyrokid4
01-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Their blurb says these lights are designed for off road racing. That may be the difference since it is all high speed stuff. You don't need to know what is going on beside you at those speeds
Yeah that is true. I forgot those ones are for like 100 mph+. I think the series under that one also has the same reflectors in it but the chips they use pull less wattage.

Pyrokid4
01-03-2016, 12:49 AM
So these were the ones I was thinking about when I said the new series (which they are newer but not the newest ones that you were talking about) . I like the new series but like it says in the description they aren't 100 percent useful unless you're high speed racing. These ones you can configure how you want the reflectors set up. [URL]http://fcklightbars.com/collections/4d-optic/products/r3-4d-series-50-inch[URL]

cantab27
01-03-2016, 12:59 AM
my wee set up.. not much but lights up like day light in the middle of no where in our night stages in winch comps

have the two big ones wired up to high beam ..the other two smaller ones which I have two on roll cage on back are wired to a switch...take less to run than the head lights ...all wheelers should have decent lights have been out many a time to well into the early hours when just on a small run...right up there with first aid gear , recovery gear blah blah...my 2 cents...:smiley-taunt002: