PDA

View Full Version : Shock Mount - Front Axle

bryanintowson
08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
I was crawling under my bone stock 92 XJ Laredo and noticed that the passenger side shock mounting bracket that is welded to the front axle is pretty rotted out.

I'd be afraid to change the shocks for fear or mangling what's left of the thing. I have a friend with a welding shop who can probably fab up something to replace it but I wanted to know if any of you guys had a similar issue.

Did you weld up a new bracket or just get a new axle? I

xj-jake
08-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately they are in a spot that gets a lot of salt and dirt in them and they do rot. Don't swap a new axle unless you absolutely have to. Your friend should be able to fab something up or you can pick up something aftermarket to fit the bill. Here's just one link I found real quick using the google fu.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-front-axle-coil-spring-shock-mount.html

bryanintowson
08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Thank you! Any idea on how involved the install would be?

XJ Wheeler
08-11-2015, 03:46 AM
Thank you! Any idea on how involved the install would be?

Remove the axle from the vehicle, grind off the old mount, weld on new, and reinstall axle. Not too hard, just some time involved. And you'll want someone who knows what they're doing with the welding.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bryanintowson
08-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks - I've got a call in to my usual garage to see if they can do it, else I may just take it to my friend with the welding shop and see if he can fab up something.

bluedragon436
08-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Thanks - I've got a call in to my usual garage to see if they can do it, else I may just take it to my friend with the welding shop and see if he can fab up something.

World Tour Off Road Equipment (https://www.worldtouroffroad.com/)
1934 Lincoln Drive
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-263-1286

Paul Warren is the owner, and is an awesome guy.. All his guys know their stuff and do top notch work.. This where I'll be towing my XJ over too when I get back stateside here in about a month and a half, to have some work done to my front axle... And may be having them do regear as well that visit...

bryanintowson
08-11-2015, 08:06 AM
@Bluedragon436 - THANKS!

You a MD native like me?

bluedragon436
08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
@Bluedragon436 - THANKS!

You a MD native like me?

No problems.. Just like to share great shops and great people when I can...

I unfortunately am not.. I was born in MD, but grew up in SC... But am currently stationed in Dover, DE... I would much rather be stationed in MD... far more to do there... Heck I spend most of my time home trying to figure out how to get out of Dover, so I head over to Annapolis for food, and to wonder that ridiculously huge mall!! Figure I'll drop my XJ off @ the shop there and spend some time wondering Annapolis, and might have to venture up to Frederick, MD and check out where I was born..

bryanintowson
08-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Think you'll like Frederick. The downtown has become pretty upscale lately with lots of cool restaurants and trendy shops. They have a nice minor league ballpark there right off of I-70. Some decent vineyards in that area too.