PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case shifter

NC_Xplorer
08-08-2015, 01:43 PM
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x.htm

Has anyone tried this shifter before? Looks like it may be a good option over factory set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bcrosson92
08-08-2015, 05:32 PM
I got the dirtbound version. It didn't really work with the 242 but works with a 231.

nickyg
08-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I still use the the stock set up. Just had to adjust it a few weeks ago.

bluedragon436
08-09-2015, 08:06 PM
I ordered the one from Boostwerks Engineering (http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/231-HD-Shift-Linkage-Auto-Trans-_p_25.html).. can't wait to get home and install it... Have read lots of great reviews on it from different sources!! And doesn't hurt that they are having a pretty decent sale on them right now either!!

NC_Xplorer
07-13-2016, 10:10 PM
http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/store/jeep-np231-transfer-case-linkage-kit

Just found this one through Facebook. Shifter linkage is on sale! I think I will go with this one.

Rockfrog
07-16-2016, 06:25 PM
I finally bolted up my Boostwerks kit ... Should have done it sooner. Tcase shifts smooth as butter now. Something it hasn't done in three years now.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
07-16-2016, 11:25 PM
I finally bolted up my Boostwerks kit ... Should have done it sooner. Tcase shifts smooth as butter now. Something it hasn't done in three years now.

How bad was it to install and setup?? I've heard mixed reviews on it being easy and some saying it was a major PITA!! I was looking forward to installing it, and have wanted too since I got back stateside from deployment.. but have been taking care of other projects the XJ has given me to worry about... as well as working far more then I'd like (wouldn't be so bad if I got paid for the overtime I have to work), and taking care of the new little one!!

Rockfrog
07-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Pop the range lever off the transfer case add the one ball joint to the new range lever first then up it goes. There is plenty of room for the rest. Keeping the interior handle in place was a hassle (only because I was too lazy to tie it in place). And when you loosen/tighten the range lever ... The transfer case usually shifts out of position which can confuse the issue (I'll be the first to admit I lost track once or twice and hooked it up lever in 2wd, case in 4lo).
Pick up a ratcheting 9/16" wrench, it'll ease frustration with the range lever due to the tight space there. Ripped all the stock shift lever garbage linkage out before I started.
It was pretty straight forward, given the two above mentioned ... "hiccups" ... And that was at the tail end of replacing my Rad, transcooler and reworking a few plumbing issues resulting. So my patience and attention span were on the short side.

bluedragon436
07-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Pop the range lever off the transfer case add the one ball joint to the new range lever first then up it goes. There is plenty of room for the rest. Keeping the interior handle in place was a hassle (only because I was too lazy to tie it in place). And when you loosen/tighten the range lever ... The transfer case usually shifts out of position which can confuse the issue (I'll be the first to admit I lost track once or twice and hooked it up lever in 2wd, case in 4lo).
Pick up a ratcheting 9/16" wrench, it'll ease frustration with the range lever due to the tight space there. Ripped all the stock shift lever garbage linkage out before I started.
It was pretty straight forward, given the two above mentioned ... "hiccups" ... And that was at the tail end of replacing my Rad, transcooler and reworking a few plumbing issues resulting. So my patience and attention span were on the short side.

Oh I hear that... I did my radiator, water pump, t-stat, all trans lines and quite a bit more.. as well as having the front end ripped apart to do all of that.. so I know how the attention span is... I got to a point, I had to leave it for the night and come back the next day, to avoid any further damage to myself or the XJ!! I look forward to finally tackling this install... Been putting it and my hood vents off for far too long.... and have done many other installs/upgrades in the process of putting these two off!!

Rockfrog
07-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I it's pretty easy to do, but plan to install/remove at least three times going in. It's just all the adjusting length and such. I also did it solo, would have gone easier with a helper I suppose. Nothing was hard at all, just tight space and a bit of time was all.

slvmart
07-22-2016, 03:15 AM
2X on Rockfrog comment.

Concept is easy. Execution can be a bit more of a hassle. But once you have it in place, the shifting is very positive.

I used ball joint rod ends, clevis rod ends, threaded rod, and modded the existing attachment to the transfer case shift point. Make sure that there is limited slop in the connections and that your threaded rod is of the correct length. I used a couple of bushings to limit the play in the clevis rod ends. The Clevis Rod End pins may not be exactly the right diameter. Otherwise you will have a difficult time to have it all shift properly.

Of course, if you buy the pre-made kit, none of that should be that difficult.