PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat and water pump

Infidel Edition
08-01-2015, 05:26 PM
OK. I got the life time pump ~ so I'll get a free replacement on it...
Murray Temp Control Water Pump ??? what's a "temp control water pump" - is that just fancy added words for water pump designed to help cool the engine?
.........or does that imply there's more to it than a regular water pump?

Anyway, I'm going to go back and get my free replacement as it's starting to squeal A LOT! and it's free + my time and labor.

Question ~ the thermostat is a 195 deg. If I found one that ran 5 or 10 deg cooler... would that be an issue? on some roads (driving over the pass) I notice the temp going way up, before the thermostat opens and the water flow cools the engine....
...going with a 180 or 185 would just kick in a minute sooner... Right?

Gotta pull the thermostat housing anyway as I've noticed a slow drip that's getting on the belt.
...adding to the squeal + the water pump = annoying squeal!

Anyway, I know people aren't too positive on the value of a high flow pump over a life time warrantee...
Thoughts welcome :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
08-01-2015, 05:30 PM
My opinion on high flow water pumps is that they work the best with underdrive pulleys. As far as how much a water pump will pump, it is much more than needed. The tstat acts as a restricting device to slow down the flow, even when fully open. I would take the warranty. Just my 2 cents.

XJ Wheeler
08-01-2015, 06:04 PM
I went through this whole topic when I replaced mine last year and found some believe the "hi-flow" pumps might actually push the water too fast and it can't cool enough when passing through the radiator. But it's hard to believe without a concrete study showing actual results. But the main reason I chose to forgo the hi flow pumps is because their warranty aren't very good and when you do have a problem they don't make it very easy to swap out.

I chose to go with a Napa lifetime warranty pump because it had a good rep, great warranty, and the price was one of the best. After some research I found out it was made by Gates as well. So far so good.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Infidel Edition
08-01-2015, 11:26 PM
what about the thought of going with a slightly lower temp on the gauge

Carves
08-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Question ~ the thermostat is a 195 deg. If I found one that ran 5 or 10 deg cooler... would that be an issue? on some roads (driving over the pass) I notice the temp going way up, before the thermostat opens and the water flow cools the engine....
...going with a 180 or 185 would just kick in a minute sooner... Right?

what about the thought of going with a slightly lower temp on the gauge

You're in Portland ... pretty cool there ??

I'm guessing the 195* t'stat is probably your best option.

Get your pump sorted and see how the system is behaving before swapping t'stats.

The t'stat in the XJ is the same size/shape as ones used in older GM / Ford / Nissan / etc ... so theres a few temp ranges available other than the 160 / 180 / 195 generally listed.

I've been running a 190* for years.

I tried a 180* ... The sky didnt fall in, nor did the engines cylinders fill up with petrol .... as internet stories would have you believe,

... but fwiw, a 188 / 190 / 192 seems to be good.

As for hi-flow pumps ... not my choice in a daily driver.

nickyg
08-02-2015, 01:33 AM
I went through this whole topic when I replaced mine last year and found some believe the "hi-flow" pumps might actually push the water too fast and it can't cool enough when passing through the radiator. But it's hard to believe without a concrete study showing actual results. But the main reason I chose to forgo the hi flow pumps is because their warranty aren't very good and when you do have a problem they don't make it very easy to swap out.

I chose to go with a Napa lifetime warranty pump because it had a good rep, great warranty, and the price was one of the best. After some research I found out it was made by Gates as well. So far so good.

Same here, I asked this very question and decided to go with a pump from Oriley's and a 195 t-stat. Almost 1 year no problems.

XJ Wheeler
08-02-2015, 02:22 AM
Went through the t-stat debacle too. I ran a 180° for years then swapped my radiator to cure an overheating problem. From then on the temp would be right around 160° while moving and shoot to 220°while setting. Even after switching to another 180° and did the same. Finally put in a 195° to see what happened as per suggestion of Carves. Seems to have smoothed it out nicely. It has a much smaller variation from moving to setting. Now 195-200° driving and 210-220° idling till the efan comes on. And it seems to take longer to rise than before although I am now running the a/c the majority of the time so the efan is constantly running.