PDA

View Full Version : What happens to your Winch when...

Mudderoy
08-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Some of you may recall my custom switch panel.

I have yet to connect many of the switches. I have two switches for winch control. One to turn the winch on and one that feeds, or retracts the winch cable.

Obviously the best place to control the winch is out of the Jeep, with that said I don't think it's bad to have the controls inside. You never know.

My question to the :xjtalk: think tank is what happens if the winch was retracted but the cable is all the way in? Would this cause the amps to increase until the battery cables melt, and causing a fire?

I was thinking maybe I need to put a high amp breaker on one of the battery feed lines.

4.3LXJ
08-01-2015, 11:28 AM
That would depend on the cables and the winch. If the cables are adequate, then it would cook the armature. That is one reason that Warn builds some models with thermal protection. But if you add switches like you have then it bypasses that protection. The protection is in the form of a transistor in the supplied switch. I am not sure exactly how it works, but you might want to investigate it and wire in your own if possible

XJ Wheeler
08-01-2015, 05:48 PM
The best place to control the winch is actually inside the vehicle because you're safer inside in case the cable (metal), unless of course you're cinching it down. But a mounted switch kinda sucks because you're trying to maneuver the jeep through an obstacle while also holding a switch on the front ceiling (in your case). Not very comfortable and difficult if you don't multitask easily.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Mudderoy
08-01-2015, 05:57 PM
That would depend on the cables and the winch. If the cables are adequate, then it would cook the armature. That is one reason that Warn builds some models with thermal protection. But if you add switches like you have then it bypasses that protection. The protection is in the form of a transistor in the supplied switch. I am not sure exactly how it works, but you might want to investigate it and wire in your own if possible

The wiring will be going to the same place the winch controller hooks up, so unless the protection circuitry is in the hand controller I should have the same protecting with either, at least that's what I'm hoping! :D

4.3LXJ
08-01-2015, 09:28 PM
The wiring will be going to the same place the winch controller hooks up, so unless the protection circuitry is in the hand controller I should have the same protecting with either, at least that's what I'm hoping! :D

I think Warn is unique on the heat cut out. I don't think other brands do it. One solution is to hook up a military style master switch with a red cover that has to be flipped up and obvious if the winch switch is powered

cantab27
08-01-2015, 10:19 PM
only seen it happen with a PTO winch ...not pretty .......I have to turn on-board air to run mine ......there are kill like switches you mount on battery so winch cant be working by accident ..

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/127642-winch-disconnect-switch-bracket.html

sorry yota site ......I winch from inside cab with inboard switch's..but hey I got airbto free spool

bluedragon436
08-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Well my question is, why would you actuate the switch to the retract position if it is all the way in?? I only ask, cause someone should be keeping tension on it when you are bring the cable back in after you're done using it, so they'd be able to let you know when it was fully in.. or are you asking if someone accidentally hit it after it was already retracted?? I've been looking at picking up a in cab control once I pick up a winch for my XJ... but the one I'm looking at will have a guarded switch over the main power, so the extend/retract won't do anything with it down..

4.3LXJ
08-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Just my 2 cents here. You can get all kinds of rocker switches. I used to have my Mile Marker winch wired to use in cab. Just use a rocker that is two position on with spring loaded center off. That way you have to push it to make it work. Then it will be off until you push it again. If you have trouble finding one like that, contact the guy I listed in the thread Really Cool Switches and he can set you up and probably etch some cool things on it too

nickyg
08-02-2015, 01:55 AM
I think if you hit the winch retract switch with the cable already in. You run the risk of tearing a hole in the space time continuum and allowing weird and strange creatures from the other side to enter our universe, Thus making the line at Starbucks even longer.

cantab27
08-02-2015, 02:47 AM
seems legit

XJ Wheeler
08-02-2015, 02:57 AM
I think if you hit the winch retract switch with the cable already in. You run the risk of tearing a hole in the space time continuum and allowing weird and strange creatures from the other side to enter our universe, Thus making the line at Starbucks even longer.

In other words............................... Avengers 3

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bigjim350
08-02-2015, 03:11 AM
Most name brand winches come with with a thermal overload cutoff on the motor. Im assuming a superwinch would. But unless your cable is pretty new, I would bet it would snap or break at the hook before any overload switch was tripped. My winch controller can be wired or wireless so it kinda solves the "inside or outside the cab" problem for me.

Mudderoy
08-05-2015, 02:19 AM
Well my question is, why would you actuate the switch to the retract position if it is all the way in?? I only ask, cause someone should be keeping tension on it when you are bring the cable back in after you're done using it, so they'd be able to let you know when it was fully in.. or are you asking if someone accidentally hit it after it was already retracted?? I've been looking at picking up a in cab control once I pick up a winch for my XJ... but the one I'm looking at will have a guarded switch over the main power, so the extend/retract won't do anything with it down..

You wouldn't but it could be activated by accident. The switch I have doesn't have a guard.

Mudderoy
08-05-2015, 02:21 AM
Just my 2 cents here. You can get all kinds of rocker switches. I used to have my Mile Marker winch wired to use in cab. Just use a rocker that is two position on with spring loaded center off. That way you have to push it to make it work. Then it will be off until you push it again. If you have trouble finding one like that, contact the guy I listed in the thread Really Cool Switches and he can set you up and probably etch some cool things on it too

That makes sense Steve, the winch control switch I have is spring load centered off, toggle up and down to spool or retract. So I guess it would require someone, or something to first toggle the winch on then depress the in/out switch.

msmoorenburg
08-05-2015, 07:49 AM
here is my answer :bacondance::bacondance:

no your free to roam

Amazon.com: CARCHET 50ft 12V 12 Volt Wireless Remote Control Set for Truck Jeep ATV Winch: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tiN1E8yhL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tiN1E8yhL

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tiN1E8yhL.jpg

Mudderoy
08-05-2015, 09:12 AM
here is my answer :bacondance::bacondance:

no your free to roam

Amazon.com: CARCHET 50ft 12V 12 Volt Wireless Remote Control Set for Truck Jeep ATV Winch: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/CARCHET-Wireless-Remote-Control-Truck/dp/B00B1N3DE0)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tiN1E8yhL.jpg

THanks for this, I need to get one of these and wire them both in at the same time. Where did you mount the box?

msmoorenburg
08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
THanks for this, I need to get one of these and wire them both in at the same time. Where did you mount the box?

inside the winch cover directly on the solenoid