PDA

View Full Version : Lets Analize my AC problem before I take it in Friday?

dagod16
07-29-2015, 11:27 AM
So I have almost no air. It comes out but it's not enough to cool anyone. So this has been going on for a while. The compressor runs but no cold.. The compressor also has a small leak on the back side. The bolt on the back center of the compressor has the leak. This bolt is the pressure release valve. It doesn't leak from the valve hole, it leaks from the threads.

The pipe going to the dryer is about 112 degrees or so. Then it goes out another pipe to the evap coil(right??), then a pipe comes out of the evap coil and goes somewhere, that pipe has condensation on it.

I put my one gauge up to the high side pressure and it has coolant. with the dye in it.

I think the dryer is blocked or it's something in the area that is blocking something.

So let me have your thoughts.

This is how I learn. If we all know that I'm taking it in the get fixed on Friday lets try to figure out what the problem is ourselves before I go in and maybe we can come up with the correct answer.

Thanks everyone.

dagod16
07-29-2015, 11:40 AM
I think I meant to say accumulator not dryer??????????????

dagod16
07-29-2015, 12:03 PM
evap coil was replaced about 4 years ago, and a new compressor 5 years ago.

Mudderoy
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Generally the first thing to fail is "O" rings. They leak you lose coolant, cold air gets less cold until either the compressor won't come on or it short cycles as the pressure in the system equals the ability for the weakest "O" ring to hold it.

The second thing would be the lines that run to the compressor and the other one that has the orifice tube in it.

Condenser is out there in front of the radiator so it can take a hit from a rock and start leaking.

Then I guess the next thing would be the accumulator (that thing in the dash next to the heater core) will start leaking. Not too expensive a part, just really hard to get to.

I'd start with replacing the lines, and change out the dryer at the same time. Then concensor.

Of course the first thing to do is hook up the gauges and see what you got.

dagod16
08-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Ended up being the compressor. To fix it with a guarantee it will cost $684 plus tax. This will mean other major components along with compressor must be replaced with the compressor for the warranty to be good.

I can replace compressor myself and I was going to buy the pump and the gauges and fill it myself.

Can I have a link to a top of the line compressor for the 2001 jeep cherokee limited

Mudderoy
08-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Ended up being the compressor. To fix it with a guarantee it will cost $684 plus tax. This will mean other major components along with compressor must be replaced with the compressor for the warranty to be good.

I can replace compressor myself and I was going to buy the pump and the gauges and fill it myself.

Can I have a link to a top of the line compressor for the 2001 jeep cherokee limited

I got mine from RockAuto. You'll want to get a dryer as well. I think the dryer is like $16.

dagod16
08-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Why the dryer?

msmoorenburg
08-05-2015, 07:36 AM
to get the warranty on the compressor you will need a filter dryer and orifice tube.

I need more info on this part

So I have almost no air. It comes out but it's not enough to cool anyone

as in no air volume coming out of the vents? If so what fan speeds work? if you have a cold fat line and a super hot skinny like the system is working.

dagod16
08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Well I'm gonna do the work myself. Can't I use the old dryer. Im not worried about the warranty?

Brasscatz
08-06-2015, 01:28 PM
You could, but knowing you and how you like to be thorough it's a good idea to replace the other parts as well. If there were any metal shavings from the compressor, they could end up in the other parts. Never hurts, but sure... you could just do the compressor yourself and most likely be completely fine. Just my 2 cents

XJ Wheeler
08-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Its generally considered mandatory to replace the dryer anytime you open the system. Its got some particles inside that get contaminated by the moisture in the air.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
08-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Ok so I will get a dryer as well. So what else do I need.

Compressor Desno $225
Dryer/accumulator $40

Gauges $75

Vaccum $ 50

Total $390 which is still $300 cheaper than at the repair shop down the street, and I am getting a better compressor.

Atakicat
08-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Compressor oil. You will lose quite a bit when you swap the compressor and dryer.

dagod16
08-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Well the new compressor will come with oil in it, so will that cover the oil in the system?

Mudderoy
08-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Ok so I will get a dryer as well. So what else do I need.

Compressor Desno $225
Dryer/accumulator $40

Gauges $75

Vaccum $ 50

Total $390 which is still $300 cheaper than at the repair shop down the street, and I am getting a better compressor.

Vacuum $50? Where? $300+

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Vacuum $50? Where? $300+

Vacuum pump to pull down the ac system. Not sure you can get one for $50 but not a ton more. $80 at HF.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

msmoorenburg
08-12-2015, 06:46 AM
90% of the compressor come dry as in no oil. so read the attached tag to make sure

dagod16
08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
I can just buy one on amazon along with th gauges. MAybe more than $50 but not $300