PDA

View Full Version : My Grand Adventure: Episode 3

trailchasers
07-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Episode 03:

Comparison of specs:
I have used some “Google-Fu” to pull together a comparison of specifications in to a spreadsheet. For you non-nerd types, a spreadsheet is a chart that has numbers next to each other making it easier to compare information. You can find this spreadsheet on the Blog at trailchasers.net or on xjtalk.com:

Ultimately, it comes down to this:

Jeep used many of the same components across the entire product line. The TJ, LJ, XJ, ZJ, and WJ, all share the same Dana 30 front axle. In addition, they all have similar options for the Dana 35 and Dana 44 rear axles. The XJ did have the option for the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle which I do not believe was available on the other products.

You will find similar 4 and 6 cylinder engines in the TJ, LJ, and XJ. The ZJ and WJ get the same 4.0 engine but also have the option for the v8 (5.2, 5.7, or 5.9 Magnum).

The Grands “suffer” from the all-wheel drive-drive trains that can be less desirable for off roading. However, swapping the transfer case and drive shafts out is not that difficult. You may be doing this on any rig you buy, depending on the condition.

The Grand Cherokees have a wheelbase that is only 4.4 inches longer than the XJ, however, the Grands wheelbase is 10 inches shorter than a 4-Door JK.

The Grand is only slightly wider than the XJ, but it is narrower than the JK.

The hight of the XJ is shorter than any of the other vehicles but the Grand is still shorter than the JK.

We forget just how big the JK 4-door is compared to past Jeeps

The 4Dr JK has a wheelbase that is 6” longer than the 84-91 Grand Wagoneer and the JKU is only one inch narrower than the Wagoneer

The one significant physical difference between these vehicles is the approach and departure angles. The approach angle is not bad, however, the Grands have a big back side. This will get you work in certain music videos, but has a tendency to be considered a drawback on the trail. Lifts, tires, and after market bumpers will help close the gap, but the Grand will always have junk in the trunk. You have to decide if that matters to you. Are you a trunk guy or a headlight guy?

Thanks for listening and checkout www.trailchasers.net for more info or find at facebook.com/trailchasers and on twitter @trailchasers

xj-jake
07-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Here comes Josh's subconscious with a junk in the truck comment! Interesting facts Cody and thank you for taking the time to lay out the specs like this. Very cool comparisons to the new "standard" of offroading the JK. Makes you sit back and think that's for sure!

trailchasers
07-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was very surprised at the numbers when I looked at the size of the JK. I don't necessarily think it's size is a bad thing, but as a community, what we consider to be a "full size Jeep" has definitely shifted.

LGrocks
07-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Nice work Cody!

You should start a build thread for your Grand in the WJ section.

trailchasers
07-27-2015, 07:49 PM
Thank you LG. I have been chronicling my build on the trailchasers.net blog, but you're right, I can post all that on the forum. OK, it's on my to do list.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk