PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to buy a tranny that is upgraded over a normal tranny???

dagod16
07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
In the future I will need a transmission. Instead of buying a normal standard AW4 tranny. Can I buy one and have it shipped that will increase awesomeness. Maybe make it last longer and be stronger over all!

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 12:11 PM
The title is just begging for a Caitlyn Jenner joke....

I am not sure what upgrades are available for a Jeep trans besides a different stall converter. If it was a GM trans there are shift servos and such that could be changed out and upgraded parts.

BlackYeti
07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
If I recall correctly, our AW4s were also installed in the Toyota Supra. Might be an avenue to look down as well.

bluedragon436
07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
IPT Transmissions complete trans (http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/chrysler-jeep-dodge-complete-performance-transmissions-/aw4--a340--30-40le-performance-transmission-4246.html)

IPT Transmissions rebuild kits
(http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/chrysler-dodge-jeep-performance-auto-transmission-36-1.html)

autotech98
07-27-2015, 06:04 PM
^^what he said^^ also look up built aw4 on the web there is at least one other company that builds them. And yes they did put them in supras pretty sure same specs except for ratios... but they had big trans coolers and the trans tunnel wasnt fish but tight to the trans so more airflow round the beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

denverd1
08-03-2015, 12:42 PM
AW4 is definitely not the weak link in our drivetrains. You can expect 400k out of a moderately maintained unit. Spend the upgrade cash elsewhere.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

dagod16
08-04-2015, 08:45 AM
So I have 230K on my tranny now. Seems fine. It always had a sliver of a rough shift into gear but I think that is normal. Tranny fluid changed every 45K filter every other fluid change. So you think I could go 400K

What else could I spend my money on? I need ideas.

denverd1
08-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Lift, wheels, tires, winch, tire carrier, lights, rock lights, sound system, front tire cameras, bumpstops, shocks, hood vents, snorkle

tinythexj
08-04-2015, 03:39 PM
If you are starting to have issues between gears you could have a shift solenoid that is starting to go bad. Once they go bad they should throw a MIL light.

cantab27
08-04-2015, 08:54 PM
spend a little coin on a bigger oil cooler for trans ,,,,they are strong but heat smokes them ,,,,,have cooked two we wont count the water related dead ones ...

Carves
08-04-2015, 10:13 PM
AW4 is definitely not the weak link in our drivetrains.

:thumbsup:

spend a little coin on a bigger oil cooler for trans ,,,,they are strong but heat smokes them

X 2 ...

dagod16
08-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Lift, wheels, tires, winch, tire carrier, lights, rock lights, sound system, front tire cameras, bumpstops, shocks, hood vents, snorkle

I'm not what half of this stuff is?????

Lift, its already at the perfect height. Seems to keep going higher each time I work on it. hahah

Winch, maybe a compressor

Lights are good.

Sound system really needs to be fixed and upgraded. Like a wireless driving camera?

Shocks maybe cooler style but I won't need those till next year again.

Hood vents prob not

Snorkle Prob not.

Also I do notice a little issue between the low gear when the tranny shifts, seems to pause for 1 sec then shift. So this could be a solenoid? Cheap fix ?

denverd1
08-05-2015, 09:21 AM

I'm not what half of this stuff is?????

Lift, its already at the perfect height. Seems to keep going higher each time I work on it. hahah

Winch, maybe a compressor

Lights are good.

Sound system really needs to be fixed and upgraded. Like a wireless driving camera?

Shocks maybe cooler style but I won't need those till next year again.

Hood vents prob not

Snorkle Prob not.

Also I do notice a little issue between the low gear when the tranny shifts, seems to pause for 1 sec then shift. So this could be a solenoid? Cheap fix ?
Wasnt sure what you had so thought id list a bunch of ideas. Doorless?

Mudderoy
08-05-2015, 02:33 PM
If I remember correctly you have a stock XJ. When it's time have the AW4 rebuilt and replace the torque converter for good measure. While they are doing that have them replace the freeze plugs at the back of the block since they'll have the tranny out anyway. Replace them with brass plugs.

Like cantab said install an aftermarket cooler, and depending on your winter time temps, I would consider removing the trans lines going to the radiator just let the 13,000 BTU tranny cooler do it's job.

Before you have it rebuilt, take it to a transmission shop and let them tell you what's wrong first. You might want to take it to a couple of them.

tinythexj
08-05-2015, 04:36 PM
I do notice a little issue between the low gear when the tranny shifts, seems to pause for 1 sec then shift. So this could be a solenoid? Cheap fix ?

When I first got my jeep I had a shift issue between first and second gear I believe but I also had a check engine light in regards to the solenoids. If I remember correctly they will run you between 2-300 bucks and its not hard to swap them out. I was lucky and was able to get the solenoids out of a buddys XJ that he was dismantling and sending to the junkyard.

dagod16
08-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I am making this list for the future.

No engine light has come on and its running fine. But I would never have thought to replace the freeze plugs. Can they get to all of them?

Also it doesn't make any sense to get rid of the jeep if the tranny goes bad. If I bought a used vehicle the tranny could go bad just the same and I don't know anything about the vehicle history.

What about getting the rear main seal replaced. OR maybe the rubber bumper on the crossbar

Carves
08-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I am making this list for the future.

No engine light has come on and its running fine. But I would never have thought to replace the freeze plugs. Can they get to all of them?

Also it doesn't make any sense to get rid of the jeep if the tranny goes bad. If I bought a used vehicle the tranny could go bad just the same and I don't know anything about the vehicle history.

What about getting the rear main seal replaced. OR maybe the rubber bumper on the crossbar

I would put the following into a ... take out the engine job.

Rear Main Seal,
Welch / Freeze plugs, and while its out,

... check/repair/replace the known fault, crack prone, exhaust manifold, and fit new injector o-rings/maybe injectors.

Yes - the rear main and all the welch/freeze plugs can be done in vehicle ... but access to welch plugs, clearing the driveline/suspension, and getting the sump seal to sit correctly etc., make it more of a hassle than it needs to be.

So just imho ... its a horses arse of a job - which I will pull engine out to do - if theres a next time.

Tranny oil cooler, gearbox mount ... simple tasks, easy to do individually.

If you're going to do the gearbox mount ... I would suggest doing the engine mounts as well, at the same time ... as otherwise - its a bit like replacing your tyres ... one at a time .. ;);)

dagod16
08-07-2015, 07:09 AM
So how much better does the vehicle run or tranny coolant cool once I swap out and get a bigger tranny cooler? Also if I get a bigger one does it have space for it in the cavity of the old one?

Carves
08-08-2015, 04:16 AM
In my case, after trying a variety of setups .....

Easy fit, plenty of room ... for a proper sized cooler.

After bypassing the radiator fitting, the tranny sump temps settled from 180*f-220*f+, down to a constant 160 / 170*f,

Tranny oil stays pink longer,

Gearshifts are smoother.

Feet dont get as hot,

Tranny takes a little while longer to get up to temp ... Not an issue for me as I will do the 5min walk to the shop, to get a packet of smokes, rather than "needing" to drive.

... lifes good .. :D

Others have had slightly different results ... whilst others who didnt fit a temp gauge, Havent got a clue whether they spent their money, and got a, good result, or not.