PDA

View Full Version : FCA in NHTSA cross hairs

slvmart
07-27-2015, 04:56 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fiat-chrysler-buy-back-500-225530431.html

:banghead:

Atakicat
07-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I heard about this... Lots of Grand Cherokees involved as well.

slvmart
07-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Not 100% sure of this. But in the case of the GC's and XJ's it is my understanding that the fuel tank behind axle met Fed requirements, at the time. So shouldn't that mean that the Fed that should be responsible ?

Just wondering ?

XJ Wheeler
07-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Not 100% sure of this. But in the case of the GC's and XJ's it is my understanding that the fuel tank behind axle met Fed requirements, at the time. So shouldn't that mean that the Fed that should be responsible ?

Just wondering ?

They did meet the standards back in the day. Seems wrong to try and grandfather in a new regulation and expect them to pay for it. Also, many other vehicles have this same configuration, what about those?...

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

slvmart
07-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Under this Administrative Regime, in WH, it's all about your "friends". If you play ball then you need not worry.

xj-jake
07-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Here's the clarification on this recall. Perfect example of why you don't believe everything you see in the news. The number of affected trucks in this recall is closer to 150,000 and it only affects a very specific truck.

09-12 1500 2wd truck
08 1500 Mega Cab 4x4
02-12 2500/3500/4500/5500 4x4
09 Aspen and Durango
09-11 Dakota

There will be very few that will have to be bought back and for what Chrysler has laid out for a buyback program the customers will probably keep them and have them repaired on Chrysler's dime.

As for the Jeep recall it only affects, as we all probably know, the 93-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee and the 02-07 Liberty. Customers have the option to have it repaired at a dealership with the installation of a receiver hitch, providing the vehicle isn't rusted out to the point of no repair, and a $100 gift card. Or they will receive $1000 over fair market value for their trade in towards a new FCA vehicle.

The big thing here is the fine. Yes it's hefty but the buybacks will be nearly non existent. The recall for the Jeeps isn't new news.

abebehrmann
07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
That fuel tank hanging out the rear end of the ZJ and WJ had me concerned from the second I looked at them. Sure seemed like a problem waiting to happen to me, although I was thinking about offroad. One of the many reasons I went with the XJ.

XJ Wheeler
07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Here's the clarification on this recall. Perfect example of why you don't believe everything you see in the news. The number of affected trucks in this recall is closer to 150,000 and it only affects a very specific truck.

09-12 1500 2wd truck
08 1500 Mega Cab 4x4
02-12 2500/3500/4500/5500 4x4
09 Aspen and Durango
09-11 Dakota

There will be very few that will have to be bought back and for what Chrysler has laid out for a buyback program the customers will probably keep them and have them repaired on Chrysler's dime.

As for the Jeep recall it only affects, as we all probably know, the 93-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee and the 02-07 Liberty. Customers have the option to have it repaired at a dealership with the installation of a receiver hitch, providing the vehicle isn't rusted out to the point of no repair, and a $100 gift card. Or they will receive $1000 over fair market value for their trade in towards a new FCA vehicle.

The big thing here is the fine. Yes it's hefty but the buybacks will be nearly non existent. The recall for the Jeeps isn't new news.

Sure seems like there would be more than 150k 3/4 ton 4x4s and 1500 2wds in that time. Is there something specifying certain models in there?

xj-jake
07-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Sure seems like there would be more than 150k 3/4 ton 4x4s and 1500 2wds in that time. Is there something specifying certain models in there?

Here are the specific models and the reasons that they are being recalled. This was just thrown on my desk a few minutes ago.

N08 Rear Axle Pinion Nut
09-12 1500 Ram 4x2
09-12 Dodge Dakota
09 Durango
09 Aspen

Recall only applies to these vehicles equipped with a 9.25 rear axle

N49 Left outer tie rod assembly
08 Ram 1500 Mega Cab
08-09 Ram 2500-3500 4x4
08-09 Ram 3500 4x4
10-12 Ram 3500 4x4
10-12 Ram 2500 4x4
08-10 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab
11-12 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab

This recall only applies to vehicles built from 2-14-08 through 12-22-12

R16 Steering Linkage
08-10 Ram 4500-5500 Chassis Cab
11-12 Ram 4500-5500 Chassis Cab

This recall only applies to vehicles built from 2-20-07 through 12-22-12

These recalls only apply to vehicles that HAVE NOT been repaired. Vehicles that have been repaired do not qualify for buyback. Customers that have not had the vehicle repaired have the option to have it repaired or have it repurchased at market value taking into account wear and depreciation.

abebehrmann
07-29-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm confused. Jake, do you know why the recall looks like it only cover ZJ's (93-98) when it was a WJ that started this whole gas tank thing? Makes no sense to me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/29/georgia-judge-reduced-verdict-jeep-fire-case/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

XJ Wheeler
07-29-2015, 06:20 PM
WJs tanks look far more vulnerable than ZJ. Maybe more ZJs were involved in fatality accidents and that spurred it on, you know the power of numbers. Personally I think it's all phewy. I personally was in the back seat of a WJ that got rear ended with no skid plate or receiver hitch. Fuel tank took the brunt of it and the only damage was a bent exhaust.

xj-jake
07-30-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm confused. Jake, do you know why the recall looks like it only cover ZJ's (93-98) when it was a WJ that started this whole gas tank thing? Makes no sense to me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/29/georgia-judge-reduced-verdict-jeep-fire-case/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

The recall looks that way because that's the case here.

The article you are referring to is the most recent high profile case. The WJ was not included in the recall the only vehicles that are included are the ZJ and the KJ Liberty.

The long and short of this is that NHTSA isn't happy with how many of these recalls have been completed. The problem with the Jeep recall is that when people bring the vehicles in to the dealership, if the frame is rusted out we cannot install the hitch. So how many of these vehicles are running around out there with an open recall that cannot be done?

The other part of this is some people just don't care. The Jeep recall reads..

"Customers who have not had their vehicles remedied will be offered a $100 gift card to have the N45 or N46 recall repair performed."

In other words Chrysler is now paying customers to go to a dealership and have a trailer hitch installed. But if the vehicle does not meet specs, ie. rusted frames, then it reads like this...

"Owners with the N45 recall may in lieu of having he recall repairs performed trade in the vehicle and receive a trade-in incentive of $1,000 over the fair-market value of the vehicle, the combined total of which will be credited toward the purchase of another FCA US vehicle or FCU US parts or service."

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2015, 12:25 PM
The recall looks that way because that's the case here.

The article you are referring to is the most recent high profile case. The WJ was not included in the recall the only vehicles that are included are the ZJ and the KJ Liberty.

The long and short of this is that NHTSA isn't happy with how many of these recalls have been completed. The problem with the Jeep recall is that when people bring the vehicles in to the dealership, if the frame is rusted out we cannot install the hitch. So how many of these vehicles are running around out there with an open recall that cannot be done?

The other part of this is some people just don't care. The Jeep recall reads..

"Customers who have not had their vehicles remedied will be offered a $100 gift card to have the N45 or N46 recall repair performed."

In other words Chrysler is now paying customers to go to a dealership and have a trailer hitch installed. But if the vehicle does not meet specs, ie. rusted frames, then it reads like this...

"Owners with the N45 recall may in lieu of having he recall repairs performed trade in the vehicle and receive a trade-in incentive of $1,000 over the fair-market value of the vehicle, the combined total of which will be credited toward the purchase of another FCA US vehicle or FCU US parts or service."

Isn't that nice of them to offer you to trade in your jeep for a new car...

xj-jake
07-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Isn't that nice of them to offer you to trade in your jeep for a new car...

Well lets sit back and think about it for a second. The people that own and daily drive a 20 year old Grand Cherokee probably drive it for a reason. No offense to anyone here but they probably cant afford anything else. So $1000 toward a new Jeep or car or truck isn't really gonna matter.

drakan1908
07-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Well lets sit back and think about it for a second. The people that own and daily drive a 20 year old Grand Cherokee probably drive it for a reason. No offense to anyone here but they probably cant afford anything else. So $1000 toward a new Jeep or car or truck isn't really gonna matter.
I drive a ZJ because I like them...I could own a newer vehicle but there is nothing else I would own. Oh no offense taken. Lol

xj-jake
07-30-2015, 03:07 PM
I drive a ZJ because I like them...I could own a newer vehicle but there is nothing else I would own. Oh no offense taken. Lol

That's what I mean. The people that drive them either can't afford anything else or don't want anything else. Again no offense meant to anyone. Hell I work at a car dealership and both me and my wife own vehicles that are 15+ years old...

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2015, 03:19 PM

Exactly. Their way of helping is trying to force a car payment on someone. On the corporate level this company is not in tune with its customers. Well, our type of customer. :D

xj-jake
07-30-2015, 03:25 PM
It's actually pretty genius on their part. FCA has been going hard after lower tiered customers.

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2015, 03:38 PM
It's actually pretty genius on their part. FCA has been going hard after lower tiered customers.

Doesn't mean they like or can afford it. If anything it could cause them to sell their older jeeps and buy something else that's used.