PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Stick It Out...

Infidel Edition
07-23-2015, 01:20 PM
I went to look at the 2 door and it just didn't do it for me.
.... I do want to get a 2 door at some point, but not that 1

Soooo that makes it time to work on the next item on my to do list for my '89.
The squeal!

Sometimes when I start it up, I have the squeal.
Sometimes it has to run for 15 or 20 minutes to get to the squeal.
Sometimes longer.
It's not RPM caused ~ meaning it doesn't get louder when I hit the gas (like a loose belt)... it's actually the opposit, it will go away till the RPMs drop again.

I've changed the belt, changed the pulleys, replaced the water pump, steering pump, and alternator ~ and there is no AC, that space holder pulley was replaced too.
There is no fan (it's dual electric fans)..

AND THE SQUEAL IS STILL THERE!

I've read to try bar soap? Or Armor All?
But wouldn't that make the belt more likely to squeal?

It doesn't burn oil or leak ~ I've change all gaskets.
The oil pressure is good.
Voltage gauge indicates it's good.

Thoughts?
...other than ear plugs or turn the radio up?
:popcorn:

Infidel Edition
07-23-2015, 01:22 PM
...and I've cleaned all the pulley surfaces too

bluedragon436
07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Maybe a jacked up/worn out pulley bearing perhaps?? Or even a bearing inside the distributor... that is similar to the sounds/lack of sounds I was having coming from my distributor...

Infidel Edition
07-23-2015, 02:35 PM
when I stick my head under the hood...
it seems more like the front end (like a belt).
And loud enough that my wife knows I'm on my way home about 2 blocks before the driveway. :bang:

But I'll check that.

Brasscatz
07-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Vacuum leak somewhere? I've heard vacuum leaks make some pretty interesting sounds before

cpttuna
07-23-2015, 02:50 PM
The brand new belt squealed on my wife's jeep. Fixed the squeal by putting a different brand belt on it.

Mudderoy
07-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Heater hose, one end towards the engine bay the other end in your ear. Now perform a hard target search. ;)

LGrocks
07-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Heater hose, one end towards the engine bay the other end in your ear. Now perform a hard target search. ;)

That's a great idea.

Also, you can rule out a squeaking belt by using a spray bottle. With engine running, and squeaking, spray a stream of just water on the inner side of the belt. If squeak goes away it's the belt. Replace it again. And the water won't hurt ANYTHING.

Infidel Edition
07-23-2015, 04:55 PM
That's a great idea.

Also, you can rule out a squeaking belt by using a spray bottle. With engine running, and squeaking, spray a stream of just water on the inner side of the belt. If squeak goes away it's the belt. Replace it again. And the water won't hurt ANYTHING.

Cool ~ I'll try the water bottle first...

If no luck with the water bottle... I'll try that next

The brand new belt squealed on my wife's jeep. Fixed the squeal by putting a different brand belt on it.

If it is the belt, I've replaced it twice but not sure what brand... but I'm willing to try again
** what brands are better with regard to squeal?

Vacuum leak somewhere? I've heard vacuum leaks make some pretty interesting sounds before

I'm pretty sure I've removed all possible vacuum leak issues (removed most of the vacuum based systems from under the hood...)

nickyg
07-23-2015, 05:05 PM
That's a great idea.

Here's video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUe6uKxTv8

autotech98
07-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Gates green line is what i like to use. And how is your tension on it? Had a similar problem w mine. Thought it was tight enough but tightened it a little more and no more squeal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Infidel Edition
07-27-2015, 09:17 PM
I thought I posted this already...
But I tightened the very back mufler clamp and 80% of the "under the hood" squeal went away!
Whaaaat the....

LGrocks
07-27-2015, 10:07 PM
I thought I posted this already...
But I tightened the very back mufler clamp and 80% of the "under the hood" squeal went away!
Whaaaat the....

Muffler clamp? You mean back by the exhaust muffler? If so there must be an exhaust leak on the manifold. Maybe you have a cracked exhaust manifold that is whistling. Tightening that clamp changed a minor leak back there, which changed back pressure just enough to change the whistling leak. Jeez that's a rare one I'd say.:rolleye0012:

Infidel Edition
07-27-2015, 10:11 PM
its not a whistle...
my guess is maybe a lose bolt or crack and it's rubbing together to make a squeal.
... gonna try the listening aid

Infidel Edition
07-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Spoke too soon... Its back.
Must have just taken a couple days off....

Infidel Edition
08-01-2015, 05:02 PM
squeal is coming from the water pump....
or at least that's the loudest point with the "mechanic's stethoscope" technique

Just changed it with in 18 months of deploying. :bang:
2nd pump in the last 25,000 mi.
......but I believe it's a life time warrantee pump from O'Reilly

Also noticed a very slight drip / leak on the water intake housing when it's at temp. :flameon:

Infidel Edition
08-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Question...
The squeal may have been under the water pump ~
If the harmonic balancer is out of whack... Would that cause a squeal?
Or would that be a crank bearing?

tinythexj
08-02-2015, 12:48 PM
I had a squeal and belt throwing issue on my XJ when I first got it. I had to replace the water pump and harmonic balancer among other things to resolve my problem. Make sure that your belt is ultra tight to try and avoid any possible squealing and squeaking that may not be an accessory issue to begin with.

Infidel Edition
08-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I had a squeal and belt throwing issue on my XJ when I first got it. I had to replace the water pump and harmonic balancer among other things to resolve my problem. Make sure that your belt is ultra tight to try and avoid any possible squealing and squeaking that may not be an accessory issue to begin with.

How much of a pain is it to do the harmonic balancer? ... givin that I'd already be pulling the belt and water pump...
... does it have to be lined up? or ... set to ??

Do they go bad?

Mudderoy
08-02-2015, 05:58 PM
How much of a pain is it to do the harmonic balancer? ... givin that I'd already be pulling the belt and water pump...
... does it have to be lined up? or ... set to ??

Do they go bad?

You'll need a puller and put-r-oner and I'd replace the seal on the timing cover where the harmonic balancer comes into contact with, unless you're okay with doing it all again later if you have an oil leak.