PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Bangs and Bumps

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 11:32 AM
A couple of things I'm noticing and thought I'd ask about with the front suspension. 2001 Limited. No lift. Might be factory shocks, 167k, new track bar, new steering stablizer, new front sway bars and bushings.

1. If I hit a speed bump a little fast, maybe 5mph or so, I've gotten a loud low-pitched bang from the front end. I'm not the idiot who plows through them, but sometimes have maybe could have gone a little slower, yet within the speed that a Jeep should be able to handle.

2. I drive this little country road to a place where I shoot clays, with a speed limit of 50mph, and a little dip in the road. If I'm travelling the speed limit when I pass through the dip, the vehicle sounds like it bottomed out, and feels like it hit some bottom as well, but this dip is pretty slight and doesn't seem like something that would effect a vehicle like it does.

Wondering what I should focus on for inspection and/or repair?

I do want to go with a low $ 2" lift at some point, and shocks aren't expensive so they're in the near-term plan anyway.

Thanks.

xj-jake
07-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I would look at shocks first then control arm bushings. Is it a clunk or a bang? Control arm bushings (in my experience) seem to be more of a clunk than anything. Have you looked at tie rods? Could be something there too.

Brasscatz
07-22-2015, 12:09 PM
I'll add two more possibilities that have happened to me. Check the top of the shock mount and make sure it's tight. I hit a bump and the threads got completely sheared and I lost a shock. Not fun going 70mph lol.
Also, check the sway bar connections. I have one side off (bushing came out) and every time I hit a bump there's a healthy clunk on that side

Chickasaw
07-22-2015, 12:26 PM
I'll add two more possibilities that have happened to me. Check the top of the shock mount and make sure it's tight. I hit a bump and the threads got completely sheared and I lost a shock. Not fun going 70mph lol.
Also, check the sway bar connections. I have one side off (bushing came out) and every time I hit a bump there's a healthy clunk on that side
Since we are talking about the front end (which I am working on at the moment) can I ask in here if anyone knows what is the shock absorber looking thing going from one side to the other is and what it does? It's not my shocks I don't think. They appear to be behind the springs that have a partial shock absorber thing inside of them. Just so I'm not hijacking this thread, my Jeep was making a similar sound and it didn't appear to affect my steering. Just loud when I hit cracks and bumps. I changed the rubber padding looking things that held my (sway?) bar to the frame so far and no more noise. I had lost one and it was bumping against metal. Also, when was the last time you greased the old parts? Maybe that will help solve it. Check all of your black marshmallow looking cushings to make sure they are all present. That might be what some call bushings. I'm just learning if it isn't so blatantly obvious.
Thanks Brasscatz for the response. Helped me.
And thanks Packmule1911 for asking the question about the front end because I want to know the answer also.

Brasscatz
07-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Since we are talking about the front end (which I am working on at the moment) can I ask in here if anyone knows what is the shock absorber looking thing going from one side to the other is and what it does? It's not my shocks I don't think. They appear to be behind the springs that have a partial shock absorber thing inside of them. Just so I'm not hijacking this thread, my Jeep was making a similar sound and it didn't appear to affect my steering. Just loud when I hit cracks and bumps. I changed the rubber padding looking things that held my (sway?) bar to the frame so far and no more noise. I had lost one and it was bumping against metal. Also, when was the last time you greased the old parts? Maybe that will help solve it. Check all of your black marshmallow looking cushings to make sure they are all present. That might be what some call bushings. I'm just learning if it isn't so blatantly obvious.
Thanks for asking the question because I want to know the answer also.

Are you talking about the steering stabilizer? It's essentially a shock absorber that is on your steering and helps prevent bump steer. Connected to the tie rod/track bar setup and is almost horizontal?

Chickasaw
07-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Are you talking about the steering stabilizer? It's essentially a shock absorber that is on your steering and helps prevent bump steer. Connected to the tie rod/track bar setup and is almost horizontal?

THANK YOU Brasscatz! YES! That!:bacondance:

Brasscatz
07-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Happy to help :D

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Getting back on track, something to check is the suspension bushings in the links (there are four and the top ones fail first) The other thing that comes to mind is whether or not the correct shocks are on it. If too long, they will bottom out and give these symptoms

nickyg
07-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Due to an accident my sway bar in a lil bent and pretty close to my coil spring on the drivers side. Whenever I hit a bump just right it hits the spring and makes a sound similar to ringing a bell.
Check to see if you have shiny spot on your spring or sway links.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/29ec68da5898d113be33a710c0e4551d.jpg

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 02:15 PM
I would look at shocks first then control arm bushings. Is it a clunk or a bang? Control arm bushings (in my experience) seem to be more of a clunk than anything. Have you looked at tie rods? Could be something there too.

Seems more sharp sounding than a clunk.

I've looked at tie rods only to grease them for regular maintenance.

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 02:19 PM
And thanks Packmule1911 for asking the question about the front end because I want to know the answer also.

Sure thing Chickasaw. I replaced my steer stabilizer not long ago. Took a long time to get the old one off. I wrote up the story about here somewhere. I used an old Plomb puller which was my grandfather's, and it finally broke free with a loud bang and tools flying around like shrapnel.

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 02:21 PM
The other thing that comes to mind is whether or not the correct shocks are on it. If too long, they will bottom out and give these symptoms

No telling on the shocks. They're old, they're black, and I want to replace them anyway when the funds are there. Probably with some budget ProComp, or Gabriel LT version. I think I'm right in saying that I can use standard length shocks for up to a 2" lift, and that's the target height I hope to do at some point.

What about bump stops?

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 03:07 PM
If you are stock and the bump stops are there inside the coils, then that should be good. But I hesitate to say you can use stock shocks on a 2" lift. It depends on how it is done. Rule of thumb for me is install the lift, then install the shocks. If they are not long enough without compressing the spring, they are not right. When you have a longer shock, then you need to bump stop it so it doesn't bottom out. The front is easy, check it without the coil in

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 03:21 PM
I was going to lift it with the coil insert and taller shackle approach. The shocks I have seen often specifify "up to X" lift" or a lift range. That, and a stated opinion from the 4x4 place down the road led me to believe I'd be ok with stock length shocks on this kind of 2" lift.

For the record though, I don't know squat and will admit it. Just fixing what I can myself, and modifying what I can afford to while I still have two kids at home who take all of my money.

Took a quick look, and one of the sleeves that the front bump stop goes into is empty. The other has a dry and cracked, tan, beehive looking thing. I believe this would indicate I'm missing a bump stop. Might as well put new ones in, whenever I get those coil additions and am brave enough to take the coils out to install them (which might be a while). Coils under pressure freak me out a bit.

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I am kind of old school about suspensions. There are so many strategies for lifting a vehicle now, that I say put the stuff together and see if it fits. When you get ready to do it, ask for help. You should not have to compress coils

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I am kind of old school about suspensions. There are so many strategies for lifting a vehicle now, that I say put the stuff together and see if it fits. When you get ready to do it, ask for help. You should not have to compress coils

Old school is fine with me. I tend to be about most things as well.

The issue I've with the coils, and raising the vehicle in general, is that I'm still confused about the jack points. The axle is what's listed in the manual. I've seen a lot of people jack them up at the frame, the differential, etc. Raising the body, but not the rest in order to get the coils out uncompressed would be great, and I know it's possible, but I'm admittedly anxious about doing it.

Cats out of the bag, I need guidance on how to jack up this thing so I can do this suspension work and not have to compress the coils to get them out and back in and add the elastomer platforms for a little lift.

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 04:21 PM
If you have a floor jack and good tall stands, this is what I do every time. Don't tell anybody, buy mine is on stands right now. Place the floor jack in the middle of the front axle, or as close as you can. Jack it up as high as you can, then place the stands just behind the front suspension link on the frame. Remove the wheels and then let it down all the way. You will be good to go

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 09:50 PM
place the stands just behind the front suspension link on the frame. Remove the wheels and then let it down all the way. You will be good to go

Would the front suspension link be where the control arms connect to the frame?

By "let it down all the way" I'm assuming you meant he floor jack, and by doing so I'd be completely unloading the coils and the rest of the suspension?

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Yes and yes

XJ Wheeler
07-22-2015, 11:44 PM
You may need to undo the shocks to get the springs to unload enough. But don't let the brake lines pull tight, it can damage them internally.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
07-23-2015, 07:50 AM
don't let the brake lines pull tight, it can damage them internally.

10-4. I don't want to replace brake lines as part of this.