PDA

View Full Version : Part-Time light came on and is staying on!

chrs93
07-22-2015, 06:40 AM
So when I started my jeep this morning my part time 4wd light was on and hasn't went out. Yesterday it was off and all I did yesterday was a little cleaning under the hood by the distributor. Any ideas if I might have something or got something wet that would cause light to come on? Seems to functionally normal other than the light

Mudderoy
07-22-2015, 06:49 AM
So when I started my jeep this morning my part time 4wd light was on and hasn't went out. Yesterday it was off and all I did yesterday was a little cleaning under the hood by the distributor. Any ideas if I might have something or got something wet that would cause light to come on? Seems to functionally normal other than the light

Well this is a new one. You can tell it's not in 4 wheel drive, right?

chrs93
07-22-2015, 06:52 AM
No its not in 4wd. It's in 2wd as it should be. Something just triggered the light. I'm assuming something I did

chrs93
07-22-2015, 07:04 AM
I believe there is a switch on my tcase that terminates on the passenger side under the hood. Can someone confirm that? If so, maybe give me a little direction as to where that might be exactly.

Mudderoy
07-22-2015, 08:03 AM
No its not in 4wd. It's in 2wd as it should be. Something just triggered the light. I'm assuming something I did

Makes sense, I just wanted to be sure the linkage wasn't out of whack.

xj-jake
07-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm sure Steve will chime in here but if I remember correctly it's a vacuum switch that operates the light on the dash (I could be wrong here but it's ringing a bell for some reason). Does everything else operate properly like the heater and ac vents?

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Steve chiming in :D Yes there is a switch located under the HVAC fan motor under the hood on the passenger side at the firewall. But, you need to make sure that there isn't vacuum going to it. There could be a hole in the diaphragm on the central axle disconnect. So that makes two things possible. Those diaphragms do go bad and not allow you to actually have 4WD. One way to check the CAD is to put it in 4WD and jack up one front wheel and spin the tire. If it spins freely, then it is not working

chevyiac79
07-22-2015, 11:03 AM
My 91 and 92 it would come on and go off I found that the harness was shirting out on the linkages

Brasscatz
07-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Your Jeep has what is known as "Jeepinitis". It's where a Jeep is really depressed about being on pavement and wants to go wheeling, so it flashes its 4x4 lights at you until you take it out.

chevyiac79
07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Funny my 92 I haven't taking out wheeling yet but I don't think she was to get dirty any more thanks to hurricane sandy that hit the Jersey Shore I still have sand and Just found some mold

OGCollard
07-22-2015, 11:41 PM
My 99 i put into 4 wheel drive and the light does not come on. We are polar opposites!

autotech98
07-26-2015, 08:09 PM
My 98 four wheel drive lights have never worked.. i just tell by the handling that shes in lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547