PDA

View Full Version : Under hood noise has stumped me

ARIZXJ
07-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Greetings, I have a noise from under the hood that sounds just like a distant horn. It stops as I slow down but the pitch never changes at different speeds so I have ruled out hub bearings. I am thinking it is a vacuum leak from somewhere but I find it difficult to look under the hood at 40 mph. maybe I should start replacing check valves or?

thanks for any suggestions

nickyg
07-22-2015, 12:15 AM
?????? I would think a vacuum leak would make the sound based on RPM no matter what the ground speed is.. and accompanied with other symptoms like a high or rough idle.
Is there other symptoms?

Is there something like a plastic bag or other trash stuck in the grill or somewhere else?

I had a walmart bag get sucked into my intake box once.

Just throwing out ideas... I'm stumped too.

ARIZXJ
07-22-2015, 12:26 AM
?????? I would think a vacuum leak would make the sound based on RPM no matter what the ground speed is.. and accompanied with other symptoms like a high or rough idle.
Is there other symptoms?

Is there something like a plastic bag or other trash stuck in the grill or somewhere else?

I had a walmart bag get sucked into my intake box once.

Just throwing out ideas... I'm stumped too.

A plastic bag or trash never crossed my mind !!, tonight on my way home from dinner out it started and I put my jeep into nutral and let it fall to idle as I was rolling at 35 and it still was goin on ... sounds just like someone was trying to get my attention from a distance LOL Beeeep bep beep beeeeeep , bazaar I tell ya. Im going out to look right now, Thanks

ARIZXJ
07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Well, I found nothing riding along with me, I even took the coweling off thiking something got stuck in there somehow I wonder if condensation from the AC could be collecting somewhere.

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 10:55 AM
If it was collecting, it would be dripping inside on the carpet. Whatever it is, it seems to be wind related. Good luck on finding that

prerunner1982
07-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Glad I am not the only one with a weird underhood noise that is driving them crazy! Good luck.