07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Episode 02:

The models:

ZJ (1993-1998) - Chrysler
WJ (1999-2004) - Daimler Chrysler
WK (2005-2010) - Chrysler Group LLC
WK2 (2011-Present) - Chrysler Group LLC / Fiat Chrysler America

I happen to own a 2001 WJ and a 2014 WK
Each of these models have pros and cons which I will cover at a later time.

Awards:
Since 1983, Peterson's 4-Wheel Drive & Off-Road Magazine has awarded a 4x4 of the year. Now, just because a vehicle wins this award, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best 4x4 for you. It doesn't even mean that it is the best vehicle available at that time. However, it does lend some credibility to the vehicle as being recognized as a highly capable wheeler by an industry specific publication. You can check out the list of past winners of this award on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petersen's_4-Wheel_%26_Off-Road), but here is the comparison:

The Cherokee (XJ) has won this award 2 times (1984, 1988)
The Wrangler (TJ/JK) has won the award 4 times (1997, 2007, 2012, 2013)
the Grand Cherokee (ZJ/WJ/WK) has won the award 7 times (1993, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005)

No other vehicle has won this award more than the Grand Cherokee

Besides this award, the Grand Cherokee has won awards from IIHS, Consumer Digest, The Detroit News, and many other organizations, making it “the most awarded SUV ever.”

Please send all hate mail to [email protected]. But, before you start flaming me, consider what this means. It does not mean that the Grand Cherokee is better than your rig for your purposes. It means that the Grand Cherokee exhibits several aspects that make it at least worthy for consideration as your primary off-road rig. I know I am going to get mail about how you have never seen a Grand do “X,” or someone will say “If the Grand is so cool, how come…..,” and I am certain one of you tin-foil-hat types will tell me about the corporate conspiracy in the mainstream press and how all of these awards go to the highest bidder. I get it, you are passionate about whatever it is you drive. However, there are others that are looking for something different and sometimes, different can be special. At least that is what my mother tells me.

Thanks for listening and checkout www.trailchasers.net for more info or find at facebook.com/trailchasers and on twitter @trailchasers

XJ Wheeler
07-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Notice how the zj won 3, wj won 3, but the wk got 1, and none for the fully independent rig. Speaks volumes!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

trailchasers
07-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I really like our WK2, it's a great daily driver, but I don't know if it would ever be a good off road rig. At least not without some serious custom built components.

XJ Wheeler
07-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I really like our WK2, it's a great daily driver, but I don't know if it would ever be a good off road rig. At least not without some serious custom built components.

Exactly. I'm sure they're great road vehicles but they're just not built like the old ones in the manner of being able to easily modify them.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

LGrocks
07-22-2015, 03:14 AM
Subscribed! Very interested to follow your WJ build. I may be doing the same here pretty soon. Still considering XJ vs WJ.

Also, glad your part of the podcast now. If only T, J & T would start putting out two shows a week:smiley-scared003:

xj-jake
07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking the wife may be getting a 4.5" lift for Christmas this year. Your WJ is one nice looking rig Cody.

trailchasers
07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking the wife may be getting a 4.5" lift for Christmas this year. Your WJ is one nice looking rig Cody.
Thank you for the compliment. There is a blog post on my lift install on my site, but no video. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk