PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XJ transmission hunting for gear

Chur-O-Kee
07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
I have a 2001 XJ with 4.0 and AW4 auto. It has a 4" lift and 32" BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains. The transmission shifts fine, but on the highway, between 60 and 70, it is constantly searching for a gear. It will go into overdrive and lock the torque converter, then drop down to 3rd. It just keeps doing that, even with little to no throttle changes. I have tested the TPS and adjusted the TV cable. It has new transmission fluid and the level is correct.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

xj-jake
07-21-2015, 12:11 PM
My guess is that you are on stock gearing correct? Mine does the same thing and it's due to the oversized tires and the stock gearing configuration.

Chur-O-Kee
07-21-2015, 03:35 PM
It is stock gearing.

4.3LXJ
07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
your kick down function depends on throttle position. When you put larger tires on, generally your skinny pedal is depressed more for the same speed than before. Your kick down function sees this as not having enough power and shifts down. The only way you can get rid of this is to regear to where the stock rpm would be at that speed

nickyg
07-22-2015, 12:22 AM
your kick down function depends on throttle position. When you put larger tires on, generally your skinny pedal is depressed more for the same speed than before. Your kick down function sees this as not having enough power and shifts down. The only way you can get rid of this is to regear to where the stock rpm would be at that speed

Interesting, I learn something new everyday.