PDA

View Full Version : Selling the JK....back to a WJ or XJ?

LGrocks
07-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Long story short...We bought an 07 JK for my wife, to replace her 300k mile Suburban. Didnt take long for her to realize the driving position is not good for her(5'1"). So she insisted on keeping the suburban and no longer drives the JK. I sell my 2000 WJ, reluctantly, and upgrade the JK. So, I have an expensive(to me) lifted JK that I drive daily. And don't get me wrong, I really like the JK. But I never intended to pick up another truck payment on a vehicle FOR ME. Intention was for my wife to have a newer, more reliable truck. That plan backfired on me.
Ok maybe that wasn't so short.

New plan is to sell the JK as it sits, hopefully for $ I need out of it, and pay it off. And buy another WJ. Or possibly an XJ. The extensive aftermarket support for the XJ has me leaning that way. What do you guys think?

Brasscatz
07-19-2015, 10:33 PM
I think it sounds like a good plan. XJ for the win, definitely

cantab27
07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
if ya going to wheel it I would go xj ......got a 2000 wj as s tow wagon for the other jeep....nice to drive on the black top.....old 95 xj was easy to mod plus less electric stuff to smoke out when wheeling ..... my 2cents

4.3LXJ
07-19-2015, 10:51 PM
I agree with Wayne

XJ Wheeler
07-19-2015, 11:16 PM
If you've got a bigger budget than most WJs can be built nicely but does cost more to do so. Comfort and being different appeals to me where the WJ comes in. XJs are great in that they are cheaper with more support in the aftermarket and in my opinion more reliable but are a bit small inside and the V8 option is nice on the Grand. So its really a personal decision I guess. Just go over the pros and cons.

LGrocks
07-20-2015, 03:44 AM
Budget is a concern for sure. I didn't realize that lifts for XJ's are a good bit cheaper than for the WJ. I'm guessing this is due to the less complicated rear suspension?

Mudderoy
07-20-2015, 03:59 AM
Long story short...We bought an 07 JK for my wife, to replace her 300k mile Suburban. Didnt take long for her to realize the driving position is not good for her(5'1"). So she insisted on keeping the suburban and no longer drives the JK. I sell my 2000 WJ, reluctantly, and upgrade the JK. So, I have an expensive(to me) lifted JK that I drive daily. And don't get me wrong, I really like the JK. But I never intended to pick up another truck payment on a vehicle FOR ME. Intention was for my wife to have a newer, more reliable truck. That plan backfired on me.
Ok maybe that wasn't so short.

New plan is to sell the JK as it sits, hopefully for $ I need out of it, and pay it off. And buy another WJ. Or possibly an XJ. The extensive aftermarket support for the XJ has me leaning that way. What do you guys think?

Tell me more about the driving position. My wife had a hard time seeing over the dash of the TJ, so I purchased a 1.25" lift for the seat! Now she can see over the dash just fine. The lift is actually for both front seats. She loved it before now she loves it even more.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Budget is a concern for sure. I didn't realize that lifts for XJ's are a good bit cheaper than for the WJ. I'm guessing this is due to the less complicated rear suspension?

A lot of the price difference is that the XJ has a bazillion companies making them and the competition from that. There are only one or two for the WJ. But it depends on how high you go. A 2" is still fairly simple and cheap

bluedragon436
07-20-2015, 10:25 AM
I would say if she really wants a Wrangler look into an LJ... But with the choices you listed I would go with the WJ... As much as I loved and missed my 98 XJ... I was looking for a WJ to build up to have nice comfy ride for the streets as well as useful offroad rig... but I found my XJ that I purchased now, cause folks up here think half the WJ's are made out of gold or something... or they are worn out or rusty... otherwise I probably would have been building up a WJ right now instead of my XJ..

LGrocks
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Tell me more about the driving position. My wife had a hard time seeing over the dash of the TJ, so I purchased a 1.25" lift for the seat! Now she can see over the dash just fine. The lift is actually for both front seats. She loved it before now she loves it even more.

With the seat set correctly to safely use the pedals, she's WAY to close to the steering wheel/air bag. She hates being that close, and I agree that isn't safe.

I made/installed throttle & brake pedal extenders, and it helped. But it wasn't a cure all.

Brasscatz
07-20-2015, 08:44 PM
I know how that goes. My wife is 4'9" and finding vehicles that fit is hard. Subaru Outback.... fits well ;)

Mudderoy
07-20-2015, 08:54 PM
With the seat set correctly to safely use the pedals, she's WAY to close to the steering wheel/air bag. She hates being that close, and I agree that isn't safe.

I made/installed throttle & brake pedal extenders, and it helped. But it wasn't a cure all.

I think I'd check into removing the air bag, in what ever vehicle you have that she drives.

LGrocks
07-20-2015, 10:36 PM
I think I'd check into removing the air bag, in what ever vehicle you have that she drives.

Tony the JK is really the only vehicle we've owned that is a problem. It sounds weird but the big a$$ Suburban fits her just fine. And she still loves it, 310k miles and all.

Mudderoy
07-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Tony the JK is really the only vehicle we've owned that is a problem. It sounds weird but the big a$$ Suburban fits her just fine. And she still loves it, 310k miles and all.

My wife complains about steering wheel being too close as well, and that's a 2003 TJ.

I purchased a tilt steering column for it, I just haven't installed it yet. Not sure if that will make it better. I know I'll like it because I'll be able to tilt the steering wheel up a bit so I can see the speedometer. With the seat lift I can't see the top of the speedo.

denverd1
07-21-2015, 04:18 PM
unless you're doing a bunch of lift, bumpers front and rear and a ton of other stuff, the WJ can be built pretty economically as well. I lifted my coil sprung grand 2.5" for $450. Find a WJ with a 4.0 (the v8s are good too) call it a day. you'll enjoy the room and comforts of the WJ. lots WJs in limited trim running around

WJ came with a LP Dana 30, but again, unless you're wheeling the piss out of 35's you're not going to notice. WJs are getting into the same price range (even cheaper as the hunting community hasn't discovered it as a beater hunting lease rig) so it would depend on whats available in my area.

LGrocks
07-22-2015, 02:18 AM
My wife complains about steering wheel being too close as well, and that's a 2003 TJ.

I purchased a tilt steering column for it, I just haven't installed it yet. Not sure if that will make it better. I know I'll like it because I'll be able to tilt the steering wheel up a bit so I can see the speedometer. With the seat lift I can't see the top of the speedo.

Pedal extenders is all I could think of that helped my wife. It'll enable her to back the seat up some to get away from the wheel. Problem is the extenders weren't real easy to remove, as least not if you had to do it often, so if you need to drive it, it's a pain. I tried but could never get used to driving the JK with them installed.

unless you're doing a bunch of lift, bumpers front and rear and a ton of other stuff, the WJ can be built pretty economically as well. I lifted my coil sprung grand 2.5" for $450. Find a WJ with a 4.0 (the v8s are good too) call it a day. you'll enjoy the room and comforts of the WJ. lots WJs in limited trim running around

WJ came with a LP Dana 30, but again, unless you're wheeling the piss out of 35's you're not going to notice. WJs are getting into the same price range (even cheaper as the hunting community hasn't discovered it as a beater hunting lease rig) so it would depend on whats available in my area.

The WJ I had was lifted 4" and had 33x11.50 duratracs. I'd at least want to go that size again. Actually I have in my head to go to 6-6.5" with 35's but I hadn't even thought of the axles being a big weak spot with 35's. I'm sure all that is outta my budget anyway, so 4" & 33's for a WJ is the way I'd go. Maybe 35's on an XJ? Doesn't Tony run 35's on his?

In my area, WJ's are still fairly cheap. Though it's sometimes hard to find a clean enough one. Originally I thought an XJ would be cheaper but it seems they are starting to go up some.

denverd1
07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/5110743482.html

here's 4x4 limited grand for 2300. and I dont' think all Grands have coil sprung rears, but I could be wrong. either way, springs shouldn't run that much more.

wife's WK has power adjustable pedals....

4.3LXJ
07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
All grands have coils all four corners. It is a grand thing

denverd1
07-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Well it's not so grand

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

LGrocks
07-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Well it's not so grand.

You don't like coils?

My feeling is that coils ride better & flex better. Leaf springs are cheaper.

What else do I need to know about that debate?

denverd1
07-23-2015, 10:04 AM
I tow a 23' inboard boat at 5000 lbs every weekend. Towing rated at 6500. Horse shit.

LGrocks
07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
I tow a 23' inboard boat at 5000 lbs every weekend. Towing rated at 6500. Horse shit.

I'm not sure what your trying to tell me.

"What else do I need to know about that debate" was a serious question about coils vs leaf. Not a smart ass comment.

denverd1
07-23-2015, 05:42 PM
I was simply letting you know why I would personally rather a rear leaf sprung vehicle. It suits my needs better. I'm not interested in a debate about it. Good luck with your decision. Happy trails

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

LGrocks
07-23-2015, 07:48 PM
You like leaf springs for the stability while towing. Got it, thanks.

autotech98
07-27-2015, 06:36 PM
My daughters 01 grand is a laredo fully loaded and. Heavier than my xj by a decent bit and both it and my wifes 06 GC ride much smoother. Cant drive em too much or i fall asleep. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547