PDA

View Full Version : Strange clinking noise when turning wheels...

sbspence
07-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm about to pull my hair out over this!

I've been tracking this noise for the last two years! I've been through two complete suspensions trying to track this down. The first to replace the 13yo stock suspension, was the Rough Country 3" with a rear AAL including shocks and steering stabilizer. I also added an RE track bar and draglink. I had a three local shops check the steering gear box for noise where it attaches to unibody, and the track bar mount both are good according to all. I was also having steering issues that the last shop was sure was due to the 3" lift and my low pinion front...so I bought and entirely new stock system and had him install it along with new monroe shocks, and and both front axle joints. Now everything is new in the suspension the axle joints, and ball joint on driver side have been replaced and I'm still having a "pop", clink noise on occasion when sawing the steering wheel. :bang:

I crawled under tonight and inspected everything AGAIN and could find nothing obvious or loose even with a little persuasion. I then had my son fire it up and saw the wheel while I watched underneath. Again nothing BUT this time I just happened to have my left hand on the driver side bumper guard and when it made a noise I could feel it! It would seem to me that this is coming from the gearbox or SOMETHING in that area!

If anyone has ANY ideas to track this down once and for all and fix it I would be eternally grateful! :pray:

my specs...
01 LTD auto
stock susp, 235/75/16 tires on Icon rims. 160k mi and various other replacements mentioned above.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Did anyone check the steering box area on the frame for cracks. It is sort of common to get a crack there.

nickyg
07-19-2015, 01:29 AM
I had a loud "CLUNK" type noise like you described. I could feel it in the floor board. It turned out to be the track bar frame mount had 2 of the 4 bolts were rusted down in the middle.
Here's a link to my thread when I asked for help. it has a video of the noise.http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13539

Mudderoy
07-19-2015, 05:24 PM
At about 80k miles mine would "click" "click" in turns but that was a stretched chain in the transfer case. I found this out after replacing the wheel bearings and axle u-joints. :(

sbspence
07-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Steve supposedly two shops did but I really wonder. How does one go about checking for that? ;)

NickyG I couldn't get any sound on that vid on my IPhone I'll try it on the 'puter later. How did you find the rusted bolts?

Tony yeah I have something going on in the driveline too there a strange sound on decel or steady speed when coasting downhill, but, this makes noise sitting still and sawing the wheel back and forth. I'll try get a vid of the noise soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-19-2015, 10:53 PM
You just have to examine the frame closely. Especially while the wheel is turned by someone else

sbspence
07-19-2015, 10:54 PM
I see. So the box doesn't have to be removed to inspect it properly then?

Mudderoy
07-19-2015, 10:57 PM
I see. So the box doesn't have to be removed to inspect it properly then?

I think it you would see it moving slightly, hopefully only slightly ;)

sbspence
07-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Ha right. Will check it thanks guys!