PDA

View Full Version : Rough Trail SYE & Custom Adam's Driveshaft

JohnnyB
07-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Just installed the Rough Trail SYE & a custom Adams Driveshaft...
The SYE was less $$$ than some of the others that I researched, I also found out that most of these SYE kits are made by the same company and "rebranded" with the companies name so infact Teraflex, Rough Trail and yes even advanced adaptors are basically manufactured by 1 company and sold to the others that then put their name on it and sell them at VERY different prices, look at them side by side anyway...the install was smooth the SYE kit was well made much stronger than the factory shaft...the Driveshaft from Adams is very solid and well made with all spicer parts, overall the install was straight forward and now my XJ is smooooooth, their customer service is great you can call them and you will actually talk to not only a live person but it will most likley be the owner...they sell the kits on Ebay around $400 (Driveshaft & SYE) and a T-shirt! LOL, just wanted to post in case anyone was looking at the Adams driveshafts & SYE kit...GREAT DEAL!!!! :patriot:

4.3LXJ
07-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Are you sure about that on Advance Adapters? I do concede that a lot of that stuff is made in China and rebranded. However Advanace Adapters does have their own facility and has features you cannot get on the others such as 32 spline output and ability to mount a rear transfer case mount or disc parking brake on the driveshaft

bluedragon436
07-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Did you pull the TC out to do the install, or install it in place under the XJ??

JohnnyB
07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I pulled the TC to install it, I know it can be done without removing but alot of the threads I read about peeps with TC leaks after they did the install I noticed almost all of them did it on the Jeep...so I decided to remove it to do the SYE, I can say the hardest part is the snap rings PITA! for anyone doing this job...I would make sure you have GOOD snap ring pliers (Internal & External), I started out with some cheap ones from HF and they broke trying to remove the old snap rings...so went out and got some good ones...sometimes trying to "Save Money" cost you more $$$ in the long run LOL!
I actually did the SYE while I was waiting on some other parts to come in...I also did the flexplate, adjustable track bar, new transmission lines and a few other things.
A little off topic but I replaced the flexplate due to the "knocking sound" you hear about so often, but the Jeep also had a vibration at around 2500 rpms not a moving/rolling vibe, it would do it just sitting if you rev up around 2500...I originally thought it was the harmonic balancer...turned out that replacing the flexplate fixed that vibe must have been off just enough to cause the vibe???

JohnnyB
07-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Are you sure about that on Advance Adapters? I do concede that a lot of that stuff is made in China and rebranded. However Advanace Adapters does have their own facility and has features you cannot get on the others such as 32 spline output and ability to mount a rear transfer case mount or disc parking brake on the driveshaft

The Rough Trail SYE is 32 spline, they might have some extras with the AA (not sure) but I was told that the main parts are manufactured by the same company and rebranded...when I spoke with the driveshaft shop about the kit they told me that most of them were the same just with different names, they sell 3 kits:
Rough trail & driveshaft
Teraflex & Driveshaft and the
Advanced Adaptors & driveshaft
The owner said that the main parts were all made by one company and rebranded and went on to say they sell more of the rough trail because of the price I was ready to be "up sold" to a more expensive SYE kit but he assured me it was just as heavy and built as well as the others he had for sale...But again this is info I was told...not verified. But all in all the SYE kit is working very well and seems strong.

bluedragon436
07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
I pulled the TC to install it, I know it can be done without removing but alot of the threads I read about peeps with TC leaks after they did the install I noticed almost all of them did it on the Jeep...so I decided to remove it to do the SYE, I can say the hardest part is the snap rings PITA! for anyone doing this job...I would make sure you have GOOD snap ring pliers (Internal & External), I started out with some cheap ones from HF and they broke trying to remove the old snap rings...so went out and got some good ones...sometimes trying to "Save Money" cost you more $$$ in the long run LOL!
I actually did the SYE while I was waiting on some other parts to come in...I also did the flexplate, adjustable track bar, new transmission lines and a few other things.
A little off topic but I replaced the flexplate due to the "knocking sound" you hear about so often, but the Jeep also had a vibration at around 2500 rpms not a moving/rolling vibe, it would do it just sitting if you rev up around 2500...I originally thought it was the harmonic balancer...turned out that replacing the flexplate fixed that vibe must have been off just enough to cause the vibe???

Yeah I've heard this same thing happening, that's why I was going to pull mine to do the SYE... just figured I'd ask and see how you did yours... I've been planning on pulling mine... but am having an offroad shop do my front end alignment, as I don't have stock control arm setup or stock steering setup, none of the local alignment shops will touch it... and am having them do a good look over on the suspension install... I figure I'll just have them do the SYE install and order up a DS, as I don't currently have a DS to go with my SYE...

JohnnyB
07-08-2015, 09:05 AM
The only other thing with the SYE install is they all say to use rtv to seal the case halves, dont like the idea of rtv pressing out inside and cloging the fluid filter and pick up tube so i went with an anaerobic sealant (locktite brand) that stuff is great and perfect for joining 2 machined surfaces...and it smells good! LOL

bluedragon436
07-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah I've seen a couple folks online say to use the locktite brand sealant for the TC after doing an SYE as well as their diff covers, water pump & T-stat housings... Might have to look into finding some to have on hand when I do water pump/t-stat..

JohnnyB
07-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Its great stuff a little pricey but so is having to do the same job twice...lol
another cool thing about the anaerobic gasket maker is it wont start setting up until it's together and there is no air so even if some gets inside it wont hurt or gunk up anything...and a little goes a long way, it can be kinda hard to find because most just use RTV a lot of people dont know what it even is...I found it on Amazon pretty cheap.

bluedragon436
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Its great stuff a little pricey but so is having to do the same job twice...lol
another cool thing about the anaerobic gasket maker is it wont start setting up until it's together and there is no air so even if some gets inside it wont hurt or gunk up anything...and a little goes a long way, it can be kinda hard to find because most just use RTV a lot of people dont know what it even is...I found it on Amazon pretty cheap.

Yeah was figuring looking @ Amazon for it, especially with the no so great selection of stuff our local shops have to offer...

tinythexj
07-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I had a mechanic buddy help me do my SYE and I can;t remember what we used to seal the two halves together but he did mention that it was some pretty expensive high end stuff. Didn't have a leak from the halves but I did end up with a small leak from the tail cone that was easily fixed.

JohnnyB
08-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Well, I have developed a very small leak from the rear yoke seal, doesnt drip on the ground but a drop will hang there after a couple days...the shop that made the driveshaft and sent the SYE is already sending a new seal (Adams Driveshafts) those guy's are great!
anyway my question is, do I need a new yoke nut or can the old one be reused?
and what about the rubber yoke washer does that need replaced the guy at Adams driveshafts said it could be reused but how would you get all that RTV off of that sucker to reuse it??? and wouldnt it be already be disformed from torque?

4.3LXJ
08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
You are talking the pinion seal? If so, you should use an new nut and rubber washer. However, I have reused them myself. But technically you should replace both

JohnnyB
08-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Sorry, No not the Pinion...the transfer case output seal.

4.3LXJ
08-03-2015, 02:52 PM
So you have a Dana yoke I take it. Same info applies

JohnnyB
08-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Do you know where I can find the rubber washer? I can find a bunch for the "front" yoke but not the rear yoke...I want to just replace both because I dont want to have to do this again if it doesnt seal up using old washer and nut...

4.3LXJ
08-03-2015, 04:40 PM
The only place I know for sure is a place almost local to me called Parts Mike. Give them a call and tell them what you have

http://partsmike.com