PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble

Zombieresponce92311
07-03-2015, 10:48 PM
When I am driving about 30mph or so I get a Death wobble when I hit bumps in the road.
I have replace the shocks with procomp,
ball joints, wheel bearings, steering damper, track bar, sway bar bushings and links, tie rod ends, rims and tires had wheels checked for alignments and it was good and still a wobble when I hit small bumps in the road .
my next thing is to upgrade the control arms upper and lower with adjustable ones (Waiting for fedex to deliver them .
I have a 5" lift never had the wobble before it just started 6 months ago and all you see above is what I replaced and it is still there....
WHAT THE HELL DAMMIT !!!
WHAT NEXT CAN I CHECK OR REPLACE?:bang::bang::bang::mad:

4.3LXJ
07-03-2015, 10:57 PM
WHAT THE HELL DAMMIT !!!
WHAT NEXT CAN I CHECK OR REPLACE?:bang::bang::bang::mad:

Actually we have to rely on you for that one. Find a buddy and have that person saw the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running so you have power steering. Examine all your joints. Even the ones you replaced. You should see no movement in the joints or points of attachment other than a pivot of some kind. Also be on the lookout for an ovaled out hole in the axle track bar mount. It doesn't take much there

Carves
07-04-2015, 01:31 AM
X 2 with 4.3LXJ.

... and I'd think control arm bushes are probably, also part of the issue.

Mudderoy
07-04-2015, 05:21 AM
Actually we have to rely on you for that one. Find a buddy and have that person saw the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running so you have power steering. Examine all your joints. Even the ones you replaced. You should see no movement in the joints or points of attachment other than a pivot of some kind. Also be on the lookout for an ovaled out hole in the axle track bar mount. It doesn't take much there

That includes the one on the pitman arm. All of them. Look for any small movement, and I mean small.

Tires/wheels were balanced, right?

slvmart
07-04-2015, 05:22 AM
x2 on all bushings, check their condition.

While under the vehicle check that crappy steering box spacer, attachment bracket.

There are always the drive shaft u-joints to consider.

And last but not least, after you have it all appearing to be tight, get it aligned.

Zombieresponce92311
07-05-2015, 02:02 AM
WOOOO HOOO!!!!.. I found the problem ..... It was the new procomp adjustable track bar I put on two months before the wobble started.. I did not check it right off because I figured it was new so it must be something else.
the axle bushing on the bar failed the bolt was tight but there was a lot of play in the bushing itself....so I went to my local auto parts store and they just happened to have one but it was stock so an employee there said he had an adjustable one from Quadratec that he had bought for his jeep but rolled it before he could put it on.
SO I offered him 50 bucks and he took it and we went to his home and got it on his lunch break I put it on and WOO HOO! no more Death wobble.
I was able to take my little girl out to the desert on top of a hill and watch the fireworks here in Barstow.
I am a single parent and she calls it her jeep and she just lets me drive it till she wants it back.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH THE COMMENTS you helped us make some good memories tonight 4 wheeling in the desert to see the fireworks!

bluedragon436
07-05-2015, 03:25 AM
WOOOO HOOO!!!!.. I found the problem ..... It was the new procomp adjustable track bar I put on two months before the wobble started.. I did not check it right off because I figured it was new so it must be something else.
the axle bushing on the bar failed the bolt was tight but there was a lot of play in the bushing itself....so I went to my local auto parts store and they just happened to have one but it was stock so an employee there said he had an adjustable one from Quadratec that he had bought for his jeep but rolled it before he could put it on.
SO I offered him 50 bucks and he took it and we went to his home and got it on his lunch break I put it on and WOO HOO! no more Death wobble.
I was able to take my little girl out to the desert on top of a hill and watch the fireworks here in Barstow.
I am a single parent and she calls it her jeep and she just lets me drive it till she wants it back.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH THE COMMENTS you helped us make some good memories tonight 4 wheeling in the desert to see the fireworks!

Glad you were able to get it taken care of, and even more so taken care of in time to take our little one out to have an adventure and a memorable time on the 4th.. Always got to make sure you take care of her Jeep and keep it ready at a moments notice when she wants it back!! :patriot:

Mudderoy
07-05-2015, 05:24 AM

I think we all figured it wasn't the trackbar since it was new.