PDA

View Full Version : Basic Lift Question

chrs93
06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
I have a 90' xj w/4.0 and I'm looking to add a few inches of lift without scrapping the lift it has on it. My goal is to get to approx. 6" lift on it. So to increase my tire size form 31". When I bought the XJ it had a lift I'm not completely sure what kit was used but below is what I do know. I measured from the center of axle hubs and I believe it to be a 3" lift

I added 2" shackles in rear to even out w/front end. (I should have replaced leaf springs as they were sagging.)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
Red coil springs

Any thoughts on what I might need to get to 6" lift?

prerunner1982
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Probably have to replace front coils, would need longer control arms (adjustable probably preferred), longer brake lines, adjustable track bar, drop pitman arm....

For the rear you could probably do a bastard pack and get about 4.5" combined with the lift shackles. You might also look at a Shackle Relocation kit for the rear which will correct the shackle angle and can offer lift as well.

xj-jake
06-30-2015, 10:38 AM
To go to 6" you're gonna need to re-vamp pretty much everything. Do you have a SYE in the Jeep now? If not when you go that high you will.

If you wanted to go on the real cheap you could put lift spacers in the coils in front and blocks in the back but I would HIGHLY recommend not going that way.

At 6" you're gonna want long arms otherwise it'll ride like a lumber wagon on flat tires.

Jon nailed it up there. You can get a 4" lift very reasonably. You can do some research on lifts, here's a link for one.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10442.html

4.3LXJ
06-30-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't disagree with any above. A 2" jump is more than you think, at least as far as components. First, those sagging leaf springs need to be replaced. So you might as well get the ones that are for your desired height. New shocks too, they will need to be longer in front and back. You can space the front coils but you will need new control arms, upper and lower to do it right. Also new track bar unless it is adjustable and can be lengthened enough. So, basically a new kit would be the best. Unless you want to be dealing with problems with it constantly

chrs93
06-30-2015, 02:16 PM
so let me re phrase the question. If I didn't increase the lift, but I wanted to increase tire size to say 33" how much fender would I need to cut to give the tires enough clearance? Also, same question for 35", but I'm not sure that's possible with 35's.

Just want opinions

xj-jake
06-30-2015, 03:10 PM
If you look in my build thread (in my signature) you will see how to trim the front fenders to gain more room. I did not fold back a lot because I wanted to keep the inner fender liners in mine. I'm still working on the back fenders. 35's will be difficult to tuck under that lift size I believe.

Mudderoy
06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
so let me re phrase the question. If I didn't increase the lift, but I wanted to increase tire size to say 33" how much fender would I need to cut to give the tires enough clearance? Also, same question for 35", but I'm not sure that's possible with 35's.

Just want opinions

We tend to be very detailed...

35's not recommended unless you have a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 (97+)
and open diff Dana 30. You will need to strengthen the area where the steering box attaches to the unibody, or fix the cracks, later, unless the box pops completely off then you're towing or fixing it there. You would probably need to beef up tie rod and some other front end components. Many people replace the steering box with a much beefier box.

With a 4.5" lift I was able to fit 32" tires under mine. I had to trim a little in the back of the front wheel well for tighter turns. Off road it just rubs the hell of the body while flexing.

I went to cut out bushwacker flares and it was better but the rear tires would catch on the bushwackers during flex. I'm around 6.5+ now

So how much to cut? It depends. For the street? Maybe not too much. For off road with flex? A bunch. More than I would want to cut off my daily driver. I'm thinking 3 inches!

Of course you could always bump stop. That would keep the tire from getting into the fenders during flex.