PDA

View Full Version : Filling Diff after pinion angle change...

JohnnyB
06-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Ok, This might be a dumb question but...lol
How do you compensate for the change of the fill hole height on the rear diff after you have changed the pinion angle so it points up tward the TC? or does it make a difference at all? seems like it would reduce the amount of gear oil you can put in the diff so would not be enough gear lube to cover the gears...Thanks!

Mudderoy
06-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Ok, This might be a dumb question but...lol
How do you compensate for the change of the fill hole height on the rear diff after you have changed the pinion angle so it points up tward the TC? or does it make a difference at all? seems like it would reduce the amount of gear oil you can put in the diff so would not be enough gear lube to cover the gears...Thanks!

The ring gear is still submerged, so that should bring the oil up to the pinion/ring gear mating surface... Hmmm good question... {thinking}

Mudderoy
06-26-2015, 09:43 AM
I didn't think about the pinion bearing. Reading from another site, you can jack up, or back up your Jeep on to a set of ramps and then you'll be able to fill higher. Now if you just have a rubber stopper, you might start seeing a leak.

May be time to consider another diff cover.

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 10:47 AM
The pinion bearings are fed oil through a passage cast into the housing. When the ring gear rotates it forces oil into it and then the oil comes out through the bottom. But to answer your question, you can fill with the rear end raised. That will compensate probably enough

JohnnyB
06-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I was thinking the same...that I would jack it up fill and drop, the only issue is like Mudderoy said is the rubber stopper...so either another cover or...I have an extra stock 8.25 cover maybe I could seal the original and drill another higher same size so that the stock rubber stopper would fit it??? wonder if that would work...

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Isn't there some kind of special edge on that hole?

JohnnyB
06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Yea...I think there is, Well It might just be a new cover then...I'm just cheap so dont really want to dish out over $100 for a cover...LOL

Mudderoy
06-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Yea...I think there is, Well It might just be a new cover then...I'm just cheap so dont really want to dish out over $100 for a cover...LOL

Pretty sure it was Clyde "Pabst Boys" told me he welded in a screw type fitting on their 8.25 diff cover. Maybe you could do the same for little or nothing.

JohnnyB
06-26-2015, 02:18 PM
HMMMMMMMM....Intresting, might look into that. Thanks!