PDA

View Full Version : 1996 XJ worth buying?

Joliet Johnny
06-26-2015, 04:50 AM
Wife found a 96 through Facebook as I was fighting more rust issues on my 99. Lol she gets the XJ disease I have caught. Supposedly this is a rust free untouched XJ. There is a $900 price tag on it so and all I know is it has a "new" trans could be auto or stick? And it's supposed to run good.

I have always heard 96 was the 1st year for OBDII and the last of the original body style so parts and systems can be confusing. If I buy it I'm turning the 99 into a partscar and it will be lifted before it leaves my driveway. Should I buy this and would I be better off swapping my 99 ECM, sensors and wiring harness? I know my center console swaps but dash does too with some hassle. Think doors move over too with slight mod? Any ideas I'm mostly looking for a clean shell and want the smallest hassle possible and this could be it. Just not sure of the 96 XJ.

bluedragon436
06-26-2015, 08:12 AM
I'd certainly say it's worth a look for $900... I know you can move the center console over w/ very little work, the dash on the other hand I've read takes a bit more work as far as brackets and such.. but I'm sure it could be done if you had the time/patience to swap everything over form your 99 donor... Other then that I'd certainly say it's worth a look to see how clean it is inside/out and of course underneath...

xj-jake
06-26-2015, 08:19 AM
If memory serves me correctly the 96 has the newer running gear with the old body, interior etc. Doors might work on the 96 with some mods, I don't know how much work it is. Seems to me I saw a thread on another site about someone either asking about it or doing it with not good results. Some sensors should work but I have a feeling you will run into an issue with the wiring harness.

But for 9 bills its worth a look for sure.

Pookapotamus
06-26-2015, 09:27 AM
I am currently running a 96 PCM and wiring in my 92, swapped it in to get obd2, nothing wrong with it, yes it's a step back from the 99 but not a big step at all.

Will also be swapping a set of 99 doors on soon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 10:50 AM
You can swap the 99 intake over and get most of the sensors that way as well as improved breathing

nickyg
06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I have a 96. The biggest problem I run across is that oriley's has the wrong parts listed. Example: I went it and asked for a throttle position sensor. the one the gave did not fit. I had to go back and ask for a 97 TPS. Now I take the part with me or take a pic of.
Not a big deal just something to be aware of.

I will warn you this....... NO FREAKING CUP HOLDERS IN TH 96!!!!!

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2015, 06:56 PM
96 still had the older interior. All parts as mentioned plus the front fenders and header/grille to update the front end. And you may want to see which trans and t-case you prefer.

Oh, and for that price, make sure it has a title...

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Joliet Johnny
06-27-2015, 07:24 AM
I will look at it Thursday cause if rust and damage are a concern I think its best to avoid Jeep shopping in the rain/dark. I really wanted a 95- to avoid emissions test in IL but if this is a really clean Jeep I cant not buy it. From my phone research today I figured out the doors will swap but the latch is in a different place, may make originals half doors or sell them? Funny thing was I was looking to get a Subaru Outback(cause they seem like interesting cars to own) or a WJ (cause of parts on it I could use) to drive while fighting rust and lifting my 99, and now a friend at work hit a deer and is parting out an 02 WJ with nice everything I want. I was mostly concerned about 96 XJ parts but hopefully I just say 97 and all is good.

Mudderoy
06-28-2015, 05:17 AM
96 still had the older interior. All parts as mentioned plus the front fenders and header/grille to update the front end. And you may want to see which trans and t-case you prefer.

Oh, and for that price, make sure it has a title...

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

I titled mine "Big Red"!

nickyg
06-28-2015, 10:29 AM
I titled mine "Big Red"!

Are we still talking about jeeps?