PDA

View Full Version : No bus messsge/all my gauges dont work.

dagod16
06-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Jeep runs fine.
Gauges dont work. They wont come back on until I shut off the jeep and turn it back on.
I think its a bad gauge cluster.
Need help.

prerunner1982
06-25-2015, 08:36 AM
A common issue is with the plug on the back of the cluster. In fact I believe Chrysler offers a redesigned plug through Jeep dealers to fix the issue. Sometimes taking if off and cleaning it and putting some dielectric grease in the plug helps.

Josh (NW99XJ) also had a no bus issue but it stemmed from a bad sensor in the 5 volts circuit, speed sensor I believe.

xj-jake
06-25-2015, 08:38 AM
You are correct Jon, Josh's issue was 5 volt speed sensor but his did not run if I remember correctly. I'd start with the plug on the back as Jon said and see if that straightens it out for you and go from there.

prerunner1982
06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
but his did not run if I remember correctly.

Ahh.. that's right. I can hardly keep my own problems straight muchless anyone elses. :D

dagod16
06-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Well last year we had this problem but it would come right back on in 30 seconds. Now the cluster shuts off and stays off. We also took the cluster out and put dielectric grease on it already.

Can you show me a picture of the speed sensor. It is easy to replace, maybe autozone will have one.

xj-jake
06-25-2015, 08:49 AM
I'd pull the cluster again and make darn sure you're not having an issue there. If you start throwing sensors at this issue it'll cost you a small fortune. That just happened to be the issue that was causing his to not start.

dagod16
06-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Before I take thing apart can I csll jeep and get replacement plug?
Is that easy to swap out.

xj-jake
06-25-2015, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't think it would be that hard. I don't have experience with the new plug maybe Jon will chime back in here with more information on that.

prerunner1982
06-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I have had the gauge cluster cutting in/out on my 93 for many years. Sometimes just flickers and other times it stays off.... for months at a time. It's always the plug. Pro at taking the dash apart. lol

I have never had to replace the plug. I "think" its for the 97+ years so I haven't bothered to try it on the 93. If nothing else see if the Jeep dealer has one and go take a look at it and see if there are any differences.

The redesign plug info came from my Father who has been a long time Jeep dealer parts guy. I don't have the info in front of me to look at and he is no longer in the Jeep parts dept. Sorry.

dagod16
06-25-2015, 08:57 AM
Or how do I make that plug work better.

Mudderoy
06-25-2015, 09:38 AM
You are correct Jon, Josh's issue was 5 volt speed sensor but his did not run if I remember correctly. I'd start with the plug on the back as Jon said and see if that straightens it out for you and go from there.

Correct. His was a NO BUS and NO START issue.

Mudderoy
06-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Well last year we had this problem but it would come right back on in 30 seconds. Now the cluster shuts off and stays off. We also took the cluster out and put dielectric grease on it already.

Can you show me a picture of the speed sensor. It is easy to replace, maybe autozone will have one.

Take both hands and press on the face of the cluster.

Hit the top of the dash just above the cluster. May not work, but you'll feel better.

Actually I would fix my dead gauges by hitting the top of the dash but my issue was a bad ground. Also a common issue with the cluster.

dagod16
06-25-2015, 08:01 PM
So all day today it is running fine. Go figure.