PDA

View Full Version : Recent engine upgrades

toledojeeper
06-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Just want to give my opinion on a few engine upgrade , I purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee in good running condition with 125000 miles , I quickly installed a AEM cold air intake and this made no difference in performance unlike a 2001 Jeep Wrangler I had . About 2 weeks ago I added a 63mm bored throttle body and this made a difference in throttle response and seems a little more torque . I added new Bosch fuel injectors this week and don't feel much of a change yet but idles very smooth now , the vehicle does start much quicker , I did notice some of the O-rings on the old fuel injectors were cracked and dried out . At the same time I did install some NPK plugs but my old plugs looked in good shape .
I will say that I'm very happy with these upgrades as the engine runs smooth and has better throttle response but would not do the cold air intake again because of the $240 cost . I only have $100 in the throttle body and $99 in the fuel injectors and then $12 in plugs .

XJ Wheeler
06-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Glad to hear the throttle body helped. I've got a few parts waiting to go on, and waiting to get several more to just disassemble the whole lot and replace... most of it. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

OldFaurt
06-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Just want to give my opinion on a few engine upgrade , I purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee in good running condition with 125000 miles , I quickly installed a AEM cold air intake and this made no difference in performance unlike a 2001 Jeep Wrangler I had . About 2 weeks ago I added a 63mm bored throttle body and this made a difference in throttle response and seems a little more torque . I added new Bosch fuel injectors this week and don't feel much of a change yet but idles very smooth now , the vehicle does start much quicker , I did notice some of the O-rings on the old fuel injectors were cracked and dried out . At the same time I did install some NPK plugs but my old plugs looked in good shape .
I will say that I'm very happy with these upgrades as the engine runs smooth and has better throttle response but would not do the cold air intake again because of the $240 cost . I only have $100 in the throttle body and $99 in the fuel injectors and then $12 in plugs .

Wow, pretty little Jeep!
Great Job!
Got to fix key board... no "see" key ain't working!

bluedragon436
06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear reviews on what seems to be worth it and what doesn't.. Looking at doing a bored TB & 4 hole injectors to my XJ.. have been thinking about doing the cowl intake on my XJ, so it'll be able to pulling colder air... That is really the only negative of the AEM intake you got, is that it just sucks in the already HOT air out of the engine bay into an engine that always runs fairly hot... otherwise I think you might have seen a little bit of improvement out of it..

toledojeeper
06-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear reviews on what seems to be worth it and what doesn't.. Looking at doing a bored TB & 4 hole injectors to my XJ.. have been thinking about doing the cowl intake on my XJ, so it'll be able to pulling colder air... That is really the only negative of the AEM intake you got, is that it just sucks in the already HOT air out of the engine bay into an engine that always runs fairly hot... otherwise I think you might have seen a little bit of improvement out of it..

I had the AEM on my 2001 TJ and it seemed to add some pep and torque but the engine bay on the TJ is bigger and the intake is located on the other side of the engine away from the exhaust . It does have a nice sound to it when you mash the throttle though .

bluedragon436
06-24-2015, 12:55 AM
I had the AEM on my 2001 TJ and it seemed to add some pep and torque but the engine bay on the TJ is bigger and the intake is located on the other side of the engine away from the exhaust . It does have a nice sound to it when you mash the throttle though .

Yeah the TJ seems to be a bit cooler under the hood I've noticed with my GF's LJ.. and it probably definitely didn't hurt to have the intake on the passenger side away from the hot exhaust side...

toledojeeper
06-24-2015, 04:03 PM

I might take it out for a week and put stock box back in just to see if there is a difference . Maybe with the bigger throttle body the stock intake would be too small , I will try it and see .