PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Honda

Mudderoy
06-20-2015, 08:43 PM
We got a Honda for the girls to drive. They now have a choice between the 99 XJ and the Honda. My youngest daughter has been the primary driver of the Honda.

She sent me a picture Wednesday of the battery light. I suspected the alternator or after some research the ELD. I got home and well you kind of have to have a belt between the crank and the alternator!

I waited until just a few minutes ago. Other than getting to the bolts it wasn't too bad.

Two new belts, still no idea why that belt disintegrated. There was just a long wisp of a belt left.

4.3LXJ
06-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Belt Gremlins :D

bluedragon436
06-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Might have just been worn the hell out or something.. who knows.. I'd say check and see if all accessories were freely spinning and not locked up.. but that is about all I can think of checking.. or maybe something random got thrown up and nicked the belt..

Mudderoy
06-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Might have just been worn the hell out or something.. who knows.. I'd say check and see if all accessories were freely spinning and not locked up.. but that is about all I can think of checking.. or maybe something random got thrown up and nicked the belt..

I guess, but that was strange. One belt is crank, a/c and alternator. The other is crank and power steering.

A/C doesn't work, clutch doesn't even engage. That would have been my first guess, a locked up clutch.

bluedragon436
06-21-2015, 06:51 PM
I guess, but that was strange. One belt is crank, a/c and alternator. The other is crank and power steering.

A/C doesn't work, clutch doesn't even engage. That would have been my first guess, a locked up clutch.

I was going to ask if everything else on the same belt as the alt. was working.. guess that answers that question though.. yeah maybe if it's a failing clutch, where it free spins and catches from time to time or something.. could see that shredding a belt.. I know my belt on the 98 XJ shredded quick when the alt locked up.. lol

Mudderoy
06-21-2015, 10:41 PM
I was going to ask if everything else on the same belt as the alt. was working.. guess that answers that question though.. yeah maybe if it's a failing clutch, where it free spins and catches from time to time or something.. could see that shredding a belt.. I know my belt on the 98 XJ shredded quick when the alt locked up.. lol

I've never had a A/C clutch lock up unless the A/C was on though.

slvmart
06-22-2015, 03:44 AM
My sons F150 had the A/C clutch lock up, A/C ON and OFF. Turning the key to start the truck would be like the starter had run into a brick wall. Never experienced this either, in the past. He must be lucky as his, relatively new 2011, Silverado just did the same thing. Fortunately, the Silverado has the A/C compressor on a separate belt, so cutting the belt allowed him to start the truck.