PDA

View Full Version : Hello XJTalk Community

trailchasers
06-17-2015, 11:07 PM
I am new to the forum and I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Cody and I have been wheeling for over 20 years. In that time, I have owned several vehicles:

2- Jeep CJ-7's
1- Jeep Cherokee XJ (Wheeler)
2- Jeep Cherokee XJ (Daily Drivers)
1- Toyota Tacoma
1- Jeep Comanche MJ
1- Jeep Wrangler TJ
1- Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ

Not to say that any of these vehicles met a sad, abrupt, demise, but there may-or-may-not have been a roll-over at 60 MPH on the way to Vegas for one CJ-7 and an engine compartment fire for the Comanche.

I am a tech-nerd with a passion for off roading. I enjoy all aspects of the trailchasing lifestyle; wrenching, planning, wheeling, filming, and editing. I am also not opposed to telling stories, even if you've heard it before. When you see me on the trail, don't be afraid to strike up a conversation, unless you have some place to be in a few hours.

I have a website to help capture our wheeling and modification adventures. Please check it out at http://www.trailchasers.net

4.3LXJ
06-18-2015, 05:20 PM
So what part of the country are you in Cody?

bluedragon436
06-18-2015, 05:31 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware!!

trailchasers
06-18-2015, 07:18 PM
@4.3LXJ: I am in Southern California, in the small city of Eastvale, which is in Riverside County. We are about 45 miles east of Los Angeles.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B058'31.2%22N+117%C2%B033'30.0%22W/@33.9420863,-117.6160454,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

20 minutes north of me I have mountain trails for days. An hour north and I have the giant Mojave Desert. About 2 hours south-east is The Imperial San Dunes (Glamis). In between are trails galore. This is off road paradise.

Where are you from?

@bluedragon436: Thank you!

4.3LXJ
06-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Chico, CA area, 1 hour from High Lakes, 1.5 hours from Fordyce Creek and 2 hours from the Rubicon :D Another off road paradise. Different from your area for sure though

trailchasers
06-19-2015, 06:25 PM
I am jealous.

My friends and I have been talking about doing some NorCal trips in the future. The farthest we have been up to go wheeling is Pismo Beach (I love it there). My buddies daughter moved to NorCal (Redding I think), so we are hoping to go visit her and bring the rigs with us.

4.3LXJ
06-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Ha, I have been daydreaming of going south to Dusey Ershom. Nobody is ever satisfied :D

If you do come up this way, High Lakes is not too far. But if you come in the summer months there is one closer to Redding that is also on my bucket list. Grapevine Jeep Trail is available from April to Thanksgiving. It is on state land and closed in the winter. I have done part of it, the entire Ishi Rd. Upper part is easy. However coming out from Antelope Creek to Hogsback Rd requires a rear locker or winch. Only had the winch at the time. I would like to go back and do the rest. There is a nice place to pic nic at Antelope Creek. Also there is a state Camp ground down in there. Best time is in April before it gets too hot. Easiest way to get there is up Hwy 36 from Red Bluff or you can go up Hogsback from there too.

trailchasers
06-20-2015, 10:06 AM
That is all great information. Thank you very much. I will let you know if we ever make it up there. I don't think I will be going any time soon, but it is definitely on my to-do list.

4.3LXJ
06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Well, if you do, there is plenty to see up here. Also there is something kind of fun that I would like to do. It is more mild. If you like history, you can travel the Lassen Applegate trail. Not too tough, but lots of good history between the Nevada desert and Chico. And of course lots of good stuff in between. Also, my son and I have been looking for ancient petroglyphs. There are about 2,000 of them scattered around the northern Sierras

trailchasers
06-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Yeah, we like that stuff too. We did the Mojave Trail from Barstow, CA to Laughlin, NV over Memorial Day weekend. It was awesome. We stopped at the old Army forts abandoned mining towns. We plan on doing that trip again in the near future, just don't know when. OK...Lassen Applegate, add it to the list!

4.3LXJ
06-20-2015, 10:25 AM
In August, tentatively, we will be spending several days at the Downieville area. It is an old mining town, lots of them around here. It is touristy, with stuff to do. But lots of wheeling that can be done too. We will probably camp at Gold lake. Lots of old mines in the area with a few relics still around. There was an 8' thick gold bearing quarts vein that ran through the mountains that was mined in multiple locations. Also Sierra Buttes, just about the tallest point in the northern Sierras. Great view from the abandoned lookout. What is left of another ghost town also. You are invited to go with us if you want.

trailchasers
06-20-2015, 08:47 PM
Thank you so much for the invite, I really appreciate it. My wife is half-way through a really tough pregnancy right now and she is due in early November. I don't think she'll be in much of a long drive and camp mood in August. We will be in Palm Springs for her birthday the weekend of August 14th-16th for her birthday. Maybe I can break away for a "guys weekend" and meet up with you if the dates work out. Keep me in the loop!

Pookapotamus
06-20-2015, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Cody, that's quite the line up of jeeps you've been trough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
06-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much for the invite, I really appreciate it. My wife is half-way through a really tough pregnancy right now and she is due in early November. I don't think she'll be in much of a long drive and camp mood in August. We will be in Palm Springs for her birthday the weekend of August 14th-16th for her birthday. Maybe I can break away for a "guys weekend" and meet up with you if the dates work out. Keep me in the loop!

Will do Cody. I can think of several trails just right for a lifted WJ in the Fordyce Creek area too. Don't loose track of us. Also does your WJ have a rear locker by any chance. Only asking because of the terrain around here. Say like a trip to some floating islands etc

trailchasers
06-21-2015, 12:22 AM
No lockers yet. I understand that it is difficult to put lockers in the stock differentials due to the way the Qudra-Drive is set up. I will have to do more work with the drive train before I can put lockers in. I had some of this in my original budget, but then I blew the engine in the WJ. I just spent the rest of my funds to get the engine rebuilt. At least I know the heart of the beast is strong now. I will have to build up funds for all of the other stuff.

4.3LXJ
06-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Always something isn't it?

trailchasers
06-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Thank you. Yeah, I have a tendency to break stuff, especially when I was younger. Hopefully the WJ will last me for a while.

4.3LXJ
06-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Heavy right foot?

trailchasers
06-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah, kinda. The first CJ rolled on the freeway (my fault) , the second CJ was sold to my brother, the Comanche caught on fire (not my fault) and the XJ's ran their course of normal use. 2 of them were my wifes daily driver with little to no wheeling on them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
06-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Well, stuff happens. My CJ lived a hard life. Frame finally broke and was welded back together. Rolled once right after I got it, pounded it back out and off we went

XJ Wheeler
06-22-2015, 02:07 AM
A little late to the game but welcome to xjtalk Cody. Nice list of "experience" going there. :D Cool site, and love the WJ. Those notch customs flares are really nice.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

trailchasers
06-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Jake. I appreciate the feedback.

xj-jake
06-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Welcome to XjTalk Cody. Congrats and good luck on the new baby coming! Nice looking WJ you got there and good luck with it. I'll have to remember to not let my wife see it or she's gonna want it!

trailchasers
06-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Thank you, sir. Ahhh, give the wife what she wants. You never know, you may like it too! Actually, let me beat this one up a bit and I will let you know how it goes. So far, so good, but I want to get some more dirt on the tires.

Mudderoy
06-22-2015, 12:15 PM
If you are curious about trailchasers and you do a google search type it in carefully. I forgot the R.

https://youtu.be/dE41VuoiTi8

trailchasers
06-22-2015, 12:21 PM
If you are curious about trailchasers and you do a google search type it in carefully. I forgot the R.
Yeah, I had a completely different business plan for that URL. Oh well, off road trips and tips will have to do.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk