PDA

View Full Version : SYE and custom drive shaft...QUESTIONS

JohnnyB
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM
97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 3 inch SkyJaker lift (going to 4.5) Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...
I just did an SYE and had a driveshaft made...I received the driveshaft and noticed that there wasnt a dust boot/slinger installed in the double cardan...I got in touch with the shop that fabricated the shaft and they said they order the spicer parts WITHOUT the slinger/dust boot because they find that it actually just collects dirt and debris and is better without it...anybody hear of this before??? is it just another debate like installing the boots on shocks? some say it just serves to hold dirt and water others say its best to have the rubber boots on. I just rebuilt the front shaft and installed a new slinger, it is kinda tight when turning is it supposed to be kinda tight turning at first?

Mudderoy
06-17-2015, 02:53 PM
97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 3 inch SkyJaker lift (going to 4.5) Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...
I just did an SYE and had a driveshaft made...I received the driveshaft and noticed that there wasnt a dust boot/slinger installed in the double cardan...I got in touch with the shop that fabricated the shaft and they said they order the spicer parts WITHOUT the slinger/dust boot because they find that it actually just collects dirt and debris and is better without it...anybody hear of this before??? is it just another debate like installing the boots on shocks? some say it just serves to hold dirt and water others say its best to have the rubber boots on. I just rebuilt the front shaft and installed a new slinger, it is kinda tight when turning is it supposed to be kinda tight turning at first?

Mine from Tom Woods doesn't have it. Centrifugal force should rid you of most dirt and debris.

JohnnyB
06-17-2015, 03:22 PM
just wanted to check...so would I have to check that its greased more often then usual or should it be fine? how long have you been runnin the TW? I also rebuilt the front driveshaft...is the double cardan usually tight/stiff moving around at first and will loosen up over time or did I maybe do something wrong??? seems to move fine in all directions but hard to move.

4.3LXJ
06-17-2015, 03:25 PM
I have the boots on mine. The story with Tom Woods is that the boots are the premium version. I have had them for about five years now and wheel a fair amount. But while having been in plenty of water, there is not any mud to speak of in CA. Tom Woods recommends them. They know more about it than I do. I can say that when I lived in OR and wheeled deep mud and water monthly, I did get plenty of mud in the splines on the slip joints. They had to be greased regularly or they would wear out

JohnnyB
06-17-2015, 03:56 PM
So overall...is it a bad idea to NOT have the slinger or does it really not matter???

4.3LXJ
06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
I think it depends on the terrain you wheel, whether you live in the salt belt and stuff like that. I think that the boot is a good idea in the salt belt and in areas where you wheel in deep mud and water. Average guy in CA that wheels the desert, nah

JohnnyB
06-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Well, I'm out here in AZ and like CA...not alot of mud and NO salt, so I should be good to go, I just didnt want it ripping apart going down the road...lol

Also...anyone have expierience with rebuilding the cardan joints??? I did the front like I said and it is very tight moving is this normal on a fresh rebuild and I installed the slinger, the shaft and cardan I got from the driveshaft shop is very easy moving (NO SLINGER).

4.3LXJ
06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
probably what happened is the crosses are too tight. When you press them out by whatever method, the ears that hold the joint in get moved in a little. I usually take a hammer and whatever I need to reach the ends and whack the ends of the ears enough to loosen the joint up

JohnnyB
06-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Cool...Thanks! Should I go bang on the ears a bit to loosen or will it right itself on the Jeep?

4.3LXJ
06-17-2015, 08:53 PM
No, they should be loosened. That way when you grease them, the grease will get to the bearings