PDA

View Full Version : Speed Sensor Issue

xj-jake
06-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Since I got my Jeep the CEL has been on due to the speed sensor not working. I ordered a new one and put it in, cleared the codes and next day the light came back on and still no speedometer. Most of the time when I start driving it the speedo never works then after 15-45 miles it will come on and work as normal until I shut it off, then the same thing happens all over again. $125 sensor that didn't fix the issue. Scanned with Mopar scanner to verify that was the issue. This is the sensor on the side of the transmission, mine does not have the sensor with the gear on the tailshaft of the t-case. Any ideas guys?

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I have one. You say you don't have the speedo drive sensor on the tcase? I am surprised you have a speedo at all. You need that one for the speedo to work properly. The one on the tranny is to tell it when to shift gears.

xj-jake
06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
I take that back Steve. There is a magnetic style sensor in the tailshaft of the t-case. Not the gear style. Does that make sense? Every listing I see for the t-case shows the gear style and I can't find a part number for the other style. It does have a SYE in it also.

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Actually, there is a gear in there that spins a magnetic sensor in the part you can see. Check to see if you have 5V to it. You can pull the gear to see if it is contacting properly. When you take the bolt off the keeper, you will notice the whole sensor pack rotates. It is offset. This is how they compensate for different tooth count on speedo gears. Make sure the gear is contacting the worm on the shaft

xj-jake
06-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Actually, there is a gear in there that spins a magnetic sensor in the part you can see. Check to see if you have 5V to it. You can pull the gear to see if it is contacting properly. When you take the bolt off the keeper, you will notice the whole sensor pack rotates. It is offset. This is how they compensate for different tooth count on speedo gears. Make sure the gear is contacting the worm on the shaft

Mine does not have that style Steve. The speed sensor in mine looks almost identical to the one that goes in the side of the transmission. The only difference is that the bolt hole is offset a little more on the one on the t-case. It's only about as big around as a sharpie marker. I'll try to get some pics posted later tonight or in the morning.