PDA

View Full Version : 1999 XJ No Start

Mudderoy
06-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Just found out about it this morning, I suspect it was this morning that it first had this problem. I was leaving for work when I found out...

I did take a moment to try and start it myself.

Turns over good, strong battery, absolutely doesn't even try to start.

CPS would be good news since I have a spare, but I have to wonder, what are the odds that a CPS would fail in the driveway.

Of course I'll have to check the wiring and I know the fuel pressure regulator has had a problem for some time now, so I'll check the fuel pressure.

Not sure if there is a CEL, but OBDII will probably be the first thing I check.

Hopefully it will be something easy. Well I guess it's all easy, hopefully it will be something cheap! ;)

xj-jake
06-15-2015, 08:26 AM
CPS on my 88 did it in the driveway. I'm pretty sure there's a way to test the CPS with an ohm meter if I remember correctly, I know that's how I narrowed it down on the 88. Good luck Tony, great thing to wake up to on a Monday morning.

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 09:42 AM
There is a way to test the CPS with a volt meter. You stick a pin in the back of the plug on the return wire. As you turn the engine over it should show a jump in voltage when the engine turns over. On a digital volt meter it will just flash different numbers. On an analogue it will actually try to hit 5V and 0V

A good way to check the fuel real fast is squirt some starting fluid in the intake. If it tries to fire it is fuel related

bluedragon436
06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Sounds pretty similar to what my 98 did to me when the CPS went out.. Can you hear the pump prime in the tank when you first turn the key to the on position?

Mudderoy
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Got home changed my clothes and took the DVM out to the 99 in the drive way.

Tried to start it just to make sure it didn't heal itself. No go, just cranks and cranks.

First I checked the ASD relay, swapping it with the electric fan relay, nada.

Put the fuel pressure gauged on it, 50 psi and drops to 20 psi quicker than it should but still a lot slower than my 98 did when it took 3 tries to start.

Disconnected and reconnected the CPS, nada

Checked for spark from the coil, nada

Grabbed a spare coil and put it in line grounding it with a long screwdriver, I held it in place while my wife turned the key, nada (it may not run, but it will try to start when you do this) nada

Grabbed the spare CPS and thought, before I get really dirty maybe I'll check to see if there is a CEL. There was, DUH!

Checked the CEL, it say "camshaft position sensor"

Now that's a lucky break, well two. One the computer was telling me something and getting to a sensor in the distributor cap is much easier than reaching around a bell housing.

Replace it with one of the two spare I have the cranked right up.

Never had one of those go bad on me before, at least not that I can recall. But why did I have two spares? ;)

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Funny how those lights work :D

bluedragon436
06-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Glad to hear you got her up and going.. Also glad you were able to make use of some already in stock spare parts!!

JENSSEN
06-17-2015, 10:37 PM
but I have to wonder, what are the odds that a CPS would fail in the driveway.

I have bought several Jeeps this way,... quick wiggle and I drove them home
:P