PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Chickasaw!!!

XJ Wheeler
06-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Hi Chickasaw, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Chickasaw
06-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Hello to everyone and thank you for the warm welcome!
I am the proud owner of a 1990 Jeep Cherokee LTD which needs a push rod replaced and I am not certain if there is a special way it goes in or not. The push rods did not come with instructions and I am no mechanic but I saw a Youtube video of someone saying to put them back in the way they came out so I originally came to this site looking for how to do it. I liked this site very much so here I am as a new member.
This is my second Cherokee. The first was made by AMC which seemed much lighter than the Chrysler I own now ( I could push the AMC ) but I "inherited" this Jeep so it's a keeper.
I have not fixed this Jeep up in any way but would like to put a lift on it eventually. Right now I am simply replacing worn parts.
I look forward to making new friends in here and once again thank you!

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Welcome again Tess. The reason that you put the old rods in the same way is because of the wear on the ends matching the lifter and rocker arm. But since you have a new one, just stick it in. And yes, the AMC XJ was lighter due to less weight on the engine and transmission.

Chickasaw
06-13-2015, 07:47 PM
GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!
I have to get back outside now before dark!
I will come back in here and play after dark!
I have been online for at LEAST 2 hours trying to find the answer to that!
I owe ya one!!!!!

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 07:48 PM
That is what we are here for Tess

Mudderoy
06-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Welcome again Tess. The reason that you put the old rods in the same way is because of the wear on the ends matching the lifter and rocker arm. But since you have a new one, just stick it in. And yes, the AMC XJ was lighter due to less weight on the engine and transmission.

Isn't a bent push rod a symptom of a larger problem, or can you just bend one and replace it.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 09:36 PM
You can bend one and replace it. However you should make sure the valve is not hitting the piston. But generally, as you found out, other things happen when you do

bluedragon436
06-14-2015, 01:51 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware, Tess!! Glad to see that you were able to get an answer that you were seeking for so long.. It is sometimes hard to find some answers from time to time, so feel free to check out the Write-ups section to see if there might not be a writeup already, or post up a question if you are stuck on something or have a question... and someone will usually try and post up fairly quickly with some help..

XJ Wheeler
06-15-2015, 12:50 AM
That's great, i'm very pleased one of us could help you out. That's one of the main reasons this place exists, to help each other.

With that, welcome to xjtalk Tess. Now, whats a guy gotta do to get a pic of that jeep! :D

Chickasaw
06-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks 4.3LXJ!
Thank you to XJ Wheeler, Mudderoy, and bluedragon436!
I drove my Jeep yesterday after it sat for so long I lost count!
This site is the absolute BEST!!!!!
I couldn't stop driving it! I drove and drove and drove some more! I then took it on the highway after puttering it for a few miles on dirt roads and it purred!!!!!
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate you!!!
XJ Wheeler you saved me DAYS of hunting for the answer.
THANKS AGAIN!

Chickasaw
06-15-2015, 12:35 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware, Tess!! Glad to see that you were able to get an answer that you were seeking for so long.. It is sometimes hard to find some answers from time to time, so feel free to check out the Write-ups section to see if there might not be a writeup already, or post up a question if you are stuck on something or have a question... and someone will usually try and post up fairly quickly with some help..

Thank you to Delaware from Oklahoma!
That Jeep looks so beat up from sitting for so long but I will get a pic in here as soon as possible. I am legally blind in one eye and nearly legally blind in the other so I run into so many issues trying to do things! Carrie is my helper so I have to wait for her to come home to do a lot of things for me so If I can't get that pic I will ask her to. I hook my laptop to a flat screen to see things bigger and a storm rolled through here couple days ago and blew two neighbors t.v.'s out and mine also. Surge protectors were useless.

Anyway, my original question was asked about push rods because I couldn't see or feel any difference in each end and was worried I was about to mess up something badly! I will definitely go to the write ups section to check things out because I have to change the oil pump next. :pray: I REALLY appreciate you guys telling me where to go find information because navigating computer pages can be hard at times. Some days I see better than others.

That's great, i'm very pleased one of us could help you out. That's one of the main reasons this place exists, to help each other.

With that, welcome to xjtalk Tess. Now, whats a guy gotta do to get a pic of that jeep! :D

You have done plenty to get a pic of the Chickasaws Cherokee.
I will post a pic real soon! Right now I just want to drive until there is no tomorrow and find every mud hole in Northern Oklahoma which is...almost all dirt roads!!!:bacondance:

prerunner1982
06-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Welcome from Edmond, OK.

If you are on Facebook may I also suggest checking out Red Dirt Jeeps. It is a great local Jeep group in case you want some Jeepers to hang out with.

Chickasaw
06-15-2015, 12:55 PM
THANK YOU!
I'm in Enid. I will go there now and happily check that out! That sounds like a lot of fun!
I would have never thought of that if you hadn't have mentioned it...

Chickasaw
06-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Welcome from Edmond, OK.

If you are on Facebook may I also suggest checking out Red Dirt Jeeps. It is a great local Jeep group in case you want some Jeepers to hang out with.

I tried to use your link and it wouldn't let me. :confused:
I will go back to FB and try manually.

prerunner1982
06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
I will remove the link was not aware it was not working. I believe it may be due to the group going from closed to a secret group (accident but not reversible). There is an open Red Dirt Jeep account where you can request access to the secret group.

EDIT: Link works fine, but likely because I am a member of the group. Link removed.

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 01:24 PM
You have done plenty to get a pic of the Chickasaws Cherokee.
I will post a pic real soon! Right now I just want to drive until there is no tomorrow and find every mud hole in Northern Oklahoma which is...almost all dirt roads!!!:bacondance:

Tess, you might also be interested in the Day of Dirt Adventure. Here are some links for you

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14436&highlight=dirt

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20068&highlight=dirt

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12128&highlight=dirt

These might be something you might enjoy doing

prerunner1982
06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks Steve!

Chickasaw
06-15-2015, 02:33 PM
I think it may be because you are a member. I was able to get into the public one. I will message them. Thank you for the info!

XJ Wheeler
06-16-2015, 03:03 AM
Thanks 4.3LXJ!
I couldn't stop driving it! I drove and drove and drove some more! I then took it on the highway after puttering it for a few miles on dirt roads and it purred!!!!!
THANKS AGAIN!

I would love to take credit for helping out but 4.3Lxj is the one with all the wisdom. :p

Mudderoy
06-16-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks 4.3LXJ!
THANKS AGAIN!

Glad to hear this. That bent pushrod made me nervous for ya.