PDA

View Full Version : Bigger tires vs articulation

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Hey xj talkers,
so I just purchased a 89 xj and took it out on some light trails yesterday to get a feel for her before I settled on my future plans with it. I have a 3.5 inch lift on it wiith some not so aggressive rubber. I know I want a little more clearance and a bigger footprint for traction and this is where my question comes in. If I put some larger tires on it with the current lift I have, am I going to sacraface the bit of flex I do have and would this be worth it or am I just solving one problem and creating another? What's your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 04:24 PM
And I do wanna be able to keep it streetable and drive it around town so not wanting to get too crazy with it

Brasscatz
06-13-2015, 04:55 PM
What size do you have now? With your lift size, 32s might be the highest I'd go. Dura tracs are good tires and you can air down for more footprint

cantab27
06-13-2015, 05:18 PM
what kinda trails ya running ......me I like the flex ......bigger muds no good if spinning in he air

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah was thinking of 31's . I just don't know if that would lit limit my travel to the point that they would be fully stuffed over small obsticals and kind of hurt more than help getting down the trail. I just have some 235/75/r15 on the stock I think 15x7 rims that came with the jeep. I'm probably gunna get some steelies pretty soon but I wanted to figure out what I'm gunna do tire wise first

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 05:31 PM
I live in the northwest where the terrain and weather changes all the time lol so I wanna keep it as balanced as I can not extreme in any direction mud/rock crawler. Allot of rutted out dirt trails a little bit of rock and it all turns to mud and slop once it hits the rainy part of year and snows in the hills in the winter lol so a bit of anything I want to get into

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 05:37 PM
With that lift, 31s is a good choice. On stock wheels, you can still stuff the wheels, with a very occasional slight rub at full stuff in the back. I ran that combo for years

Mudderoy
06-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Well the whole idea of taller tires is more diff clearance, the lowest part of the vehicle. This gives more ground clearance so you can make it over obstacles. Okay you already know this, but if you can't get over that thing, articulation won't matter.

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Ok thanks guys. I'm thinkin I'll try some 31 or 32's do a little trimming and folding take it out again and see how she does and go from there. I guess it's just a matter of trial and error. Just trying to reduce the amount of error with some forethought. I just know if I lift it much higher I'm gunna have to start doin a lot more part swapping so Ill see what I can get away with at this hieght for now till my jeep fund gets built back up again

Bottom dollar xj
06-13-2015, 06:26 PM
With that lift, 31s is a good choice. On stock wheels, you can still stuff the wheels, with a very occasional slight rub at full stuff in the back. I ran that combo for years

If I ran some wider tires would I need some wheel spacers or anything or would they still stuff up nice in the back without rubbing?

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 07:11 PM
The ones that fit nicely is the 31X10.50X15. You can put those on stock rims, which are 7" wide. If you went with a 12.50 the 7" rim would be too narrow and you would be needing wider rims, which undoubtedly would have less back spacing. This would cause you to need to trim your fenders quite a bit. I need to also add that the 31s on stock rims will rub a little on the lower control arms at a tight turn. But I always just backed off a little on the steering wheel and ignored the problem then.

cantab27
06-13-2015, 07:13 PM
off set rims be better than spacers but that's just me .......like steve said 31s and 3 inch work well.....bigger tires on stock running gear can go pear shape in saying that the wee dana is small so ya starting off with good ground clearance from stock......