PDA

View Full Version : Correct Transmission Fluid

Klaatu55
06-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi All, Quick question, Is this the right transmission fluid, Seems to be a difference of opinion out there. or maybe its just the proper name or something about service bulletins. About all they agree on is that it should read Dex/Mercon. I recently performed a partial change (drain plug only)to clean, pending a full change with new filter and possibly a solenoid or two. This is what i used (for transfer case too.) Is this the right stuff. Please recommend a brand name and exact title in answer. ATF +1,+2 +3 +4,that could be +5 in the right situation and the right conditions, (When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars is a little confusing to me.) Thanks In Advance.

Mudderoy
06-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi All, Quick question, Is this the right transmission fluid, Seems to be a difference of opinion out there. or maybe its just the proper name or something about service bulletins. About all they agree on is that it should read Dex/Mercon. I recently performed a partial change (drain plug only)to clean, pending a full change with new filter and possibly a solenoid or two. This is what i used (for transfer case too.) Is this the right stuff. Please recommend a brand name and exact title in answer. ATF +1,+2 +3 +4,that could be +5 in the right situation and the right conditions, (When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars is a little confusing to me.) Thanks In Advance.

The AW4 transmission in the 97+ (perhaps earlier too but I really only know about the 97+ XJs) is the Dex/Merc III. I found this on pirate...

If you check Naxja.org most people will call you crazy for running anything but Dex/Merc II/III

The AW4 is *not* a Chrysler tranny. I wouldn't use ATF+4. I only use Valvoline Dex/Merc III, comes in a blue bottle. I wouldn't even use the Max Life stuff, synthetics aren't supposed to be good either.

To each his own, lots of people have run ATF+4 with no problems.

The AW4 is a picky transmission.

Klaatu55
06-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Think I should change immediately, Is this why I;m getting a 740,743,and 753 trouble code?

Mudderoy
06-13-2015, 02:20 PM
Think I should change immediately, Is this why I;m getting a 740,743,and 753 trouble code?

Jeep P0740

Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

P0743 Jeep - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit

Possible causes
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

P0753 Jeep - 3-4 Shift Solenoid Relay

Possible causes
- Faulty shift solenoid valve
- Shift solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Shift solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted

I personally have never had this issue but I see a common theme here.

Klaatu55
06-13-2015, 03:24 PM
yeah looking for parts here, http://www.bulkpart.com/ trying to locate connector in engine compartment to check resistance of solenoids (11-15 ohms I believe). Oil change was easiest. Saw write up on pinout somewhere. It'll come to me.The search goes on. Thanks

XJ Wheeler
06-14-2015, 06:12 PM
This is the fluid I came to use. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VAL0/D1/N0471.oap?ck=Search_N0471_-1_1782&pt=N0471&ppt=C0207

I went through the same thing with trying to find the right fluid is daunting if you're new to it. It doesn't help they put almost all of them in the same wording and don't give good definitions of what it should be used for. Should just read, "buy and put in trans, you have no problem". :rolleyes:

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Klaatu55
06-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks,that's what I settled on. Did partial change. About two liters (measured by putting waste in empty soda bottle for transport to dump.) Next week I'll pull filter and probably have to change one or more solenoids. Even though other than MIL and codes, doesn't seem to be a performance issue. RPM seldom rise above 2000.

Would Anyone know :
a]) The approximate shift point (RPM) should be.
b) If the 1999 solenoid valve resistance can be checked from the engine compartment. I keep getting hints that it can from the TCU harness,but lost track of the article that named jeep year harness connector location and pinout.
c) What should engine RPMs approximately be, at 60 miles per hour under "normal" conditions.

I'm willing to read non engineering articles if available. Thanks

Carves
06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks,that's what I settled on. Did partial change. About two liters (measured by putting waste in empty soda bottle for transport to dump.) Next week I'll pull filter and probably have to change one or more solenoids. Even though other than MIL and codes, doesn't seem to be a performance issue. RPM seldom rise above 2000.

Would Anyone know :
a]) The approximate shift point (RPM) should be.
b) If the 1999 solenoid valve resistance can be checked from the engine compartment. I keep getting hints that it can from the TCU harness,but lost track of the article that named jeep year harness connector location and pinout.
c) What should engine RPMs approximately be, at 60 miles per hour under "normal" conditions.

I'm willing to read non engineering articles if available. Thanks

Partial change is the best you can hope for - by just draining at the sump.

For a stock XJ ... 60mph should be, about,

3rd gear ...... 2500rpm
Overdrive .... 1900rpm

Heres a handy little ratio chart ... http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

It has dropdown menus for the gearbox and T/Fer case etc.,

Keep looking for that article ... I can get you some pinout pics if you like ... but not the, how to, testing.

Klaatu55
06-17-2015, 10:39 PM
I think this may be it. I will check it out tomorrow and see.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11236

Klaatu55
07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm ready to do another partial change, anyone have pictures or specific handle of correct fluid under another brand name. eg: Castrol.

abebehrmann
07-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I've used the exact one you originally posted (Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc). Only did a couple drain refills so far, haven't gotten up the courage to pull the pan and replace the filter, but have put over 10k miles on it since the last drain/refill and haven't noticed a difference either positive or negative.

Edit:- I have a 1999 XJ Auto-4.0L

Klaatu55
07-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info