PDA

View Full Version : Popping & Grinding in transfer case

1996_XJ
06-10-2015, 07:02 PM
First some background information, I'll try to be brief:

Clutch went out, replaced clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and clutch master/slave cylinder assembly
Noticed the transfer case had a crack in the back half of the case so I bought a used transfer case off of Ebay and put it in
Did not put front driveshaft back in, just lazy I guess but I've been driving it a lot since the clutch replacement, drives good
Finally started to put front driveshaft back in, noticed a bad u-joint so I replaced all the u-joints on the front driveshaft and put the shaft back in

Tried 4H & 4L - when in 4WD either high or low, after the clutch engages there is popping and grinding that sounds like it is coming from the transfer case
There is also some driveline vibration since I put the front driveshaft back in
Any ideas what's up?

4.3LXJ
06-10-2015, 08:59 PM
First thing I would do Steve is disconnect the linkage and put in 2WD by hand. Take it for a drive. Repeat with 4WD and then 4Lo. You might just be between gears.

1996_XJ
06-11-2015, 05:15 AM
First thing I would do Steve is disconnect the linkage and put in 2WD by hand. Take it for a drive. Repeat with 4WD and then 4Lo. You might just be between gears.
Thanks, I'll try that and see if it helps.

Tobyspaw
06-12-2015, 10:06 AM
And for the vibration,unhook your drive shaft,turn it 180 degrees and reinstall. Cured my vibration.

1996_XJ
06-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Okay I did this and that didn't seem to help, so I put the Jeep on jackstands all 4 corners so I could watch what was going on underneath while it was in gear and the wheels were turning. Basically the noise sounds like something isn't quite meshed inside the TC or like something is slipping or even possibly broken. Both shafts turn though and both front & rear wheels turn.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Well, I suppose it is time to pull the case then. Probably a stretched chain in there

1996_XJ
06-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Yep, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I need to know how to do a rebuild anyway.

4.3LXJ
06-13-2015, 10:46 AM
First thing is get a GOOD set of snap ring pliers. The kind that spread out heavy snap rings with no holes in them. Then get some silicone to seal it up since there are no gaskets and you will have it