PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

jeeper
06-09-2015, 06:01 PM
OK jeep community, I need help. Had my oil pump go out on me while on highway, going up hill on a bridge crossing Mississipip river (during heavy traffic), so as the oil pressure gauge when down and the temp gauge went up I listened to my engine seize up with stam/smoke comimg from under the hood as I got to the peak of the bridge it died. I then coasted down hill all the way off the bridge (had 2 green lights/traffic signals) and parked on side of road. Fast forward to now: after pulling engine and tranny, putting in new long block, new torque converter, solenoids and filter in tranny, getting alt and starter checked, new battery, distributor, cap, plugs, wires etc. I hook up battery, all the lights, radio, dash, locks, horn, etc all work . . . until I turn the key to the start position. I get a click (suspect hearing starter relay) and then all the electrical shuts off, with the added bonus of the starter not even engaging or spinning so jeep not trying to start. If I disconnect positive terminal of battery, then reconnect it, everything electric is on again. What is going on? After all this work, I want to start my jeep. What gives? Any ideas?

Mudderoy
06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
OK jeep community, I need help. Had my oil pump go out on me while on highway, going up hill on a bridge crossing Mississipip river (during heavy traffic), so as the oil pressure gauge when down and the temp gauge went up I listened to my engine seize up with stam/smoke comimg from under the hood as I got to the peak of the bridge it died. I then coasted down hill all the way off the bridge (had 2 green lights/traffic signals) and parked on side of road. Fast forward to now: after pulling engine and tranny, putting in new long block, new torque converter, solenoids and filter in tranny, getting alt and starter checked, new battery, distributor, cap, plugs, wires etc. I hook up battery, all the lights, radio, dash, locks, horn, etc all work . . . until I turn the key to the start position. I get a click (suspect hearing starter relay) and then all the electrical shuts off, with the added bonus of the starter not even engaging or spinning so jeep not trying to start. If I disconnect positive terminal of battery, then reconnect it, everything electric is on again. What is going on? After all this work, I want to start my jeep. What gives? Any ideas?

Sounds like a bad connection to the battery or the battery isn't charged.

Oh and I guess the bendix could be engaged into the flexplate. You might want to make sure the flexplate can be manually turned.

jeeper
06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Have brand new battery, benched tested bendex (it worked) but starter doesn't even attempt to turn (make noise) when I turn key to start engine. All accessories work including headlamps, but will try to clean cables. Oh, Jeep is a 1997 xj

XJ Wheeler
06-09-2015, 09:45 PM
I would check/clean your connections. Don't forget the wires to the starter.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Pookapotamus
06-09-2015, 10:10 PM
sounds like a connection to me, add another ground to the engine and see if that makes a difference.

4.3LXJ
06-09-2015, 10:32 PM
X5. The connection is bad, or the cable is not in good shape. Whatever the situation, you are not getting full amperage from the batt to the starter

JENSSEN
06-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Did you by chance forget an engine to ground? or ground to chassis?

xj-jake
06-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Same thing I was thinking Jenssen. Sounds like a ground is not in the right place

jeeper
06-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. So I checked all the grounds (i.e. battery, battery terminal cable, grn strap from firewall to engine at head, starter, alternator to ignition coil bracket/engine) all clean and tight. Tried starting jeep when shifted to neutral, nada, so don't think it is the NSS (neutral safety switch), it does same: when key turned to accessory position all dash, radio, headlights, etc come on. If I continue to turn key to the on position, I hear a click from starter relay and then all electrical shuts down without a sound from starter. I can run a jumper cable directly to the starter and see if it turns, or put a volt meter on the starter nub to see if it gets 12 volts when the key is turned, but none of that would explain the whole electrical system shutting off when the key is turned to start position. I am beginning to think it is the ignition switch or the key switch is bad in the steering column. Anyone had to change those? Am I too quick to rule out the starter relay just because I can hear it click?

jeeper
06-10-2015, 09:11 PM
UPDATE: pulled ignition relay ran test light to pin 86 slot and battery grn to test ignition switch (should get 12v at pin when key is turned), turned key to start position and test light lit, so that meant ignition switch OK (side note: it may be a little worn, after wiggling it a bit power failure symptom went away, but that could also mean worn key cylinder). Swapped out relay. Starter now turns, engine tries to crank, but no start yet. Need to check ignition spark, timing (crank positioning sensor) and maybe fuel injectors.

XJ Wheeler
06-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Sound like you're on the right path. Since its cranking now check for spark and fuel.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

jeeper
06-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Alright a lot happened over the weekend. put in new starter relay, pulled distributor and spark plugs so I could find TDC and realign distributor. Hit key and motor turned over and ran right away. Did 20 min procedure of alt rev from 1500 to 2500 (while sitting in park) to break in rings, set lifters. Found water leak, fixed, ran a few minutes more. Drained oil and put in fresh 10w40; started, ran, decided to do second break in procedure: 30 min neverabove 3500 rmp coasting down to 20mphs. Jeep made it 6 blocks ran hot, stalled, restarted but would not run. Let cool 15 min (dumped some water on radiator and engine) started, drove 6 blocks, parked, let cool. Started, drove 10 blocks, ran hot and stalled. let sit till next morning, started, drove home. Checked TPS with multimeter and cleaned connections, cleaned throttle body, back flushed engine, added anti freeze, also reset computer to stock default setting, now engine starts right away, idles OK, but will not rev over 3000, white smoke coming out of exhaust. What happened? Did I blow head gasket?

4.3LXJ
06-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Sure sounds like the head gasket quit on you. Sorry. How come it got so hot right away? Thermostat stuck or was it low on coolant?

slvmart
06-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Hopefully, it's only a head gasket and not something more involved with the engine.