PDA

View Full Version : Coolant flush questions.

dagod16
06-06-2015, 12:57 PM
I have finally done the full drain and fill.

I got a new radiator and heater core 2 years ago. I have noticed some sandy sludge in the neck of the radiator and in the bottom of my overflow bottle. So I drained all the coolant out that I could. I put it into milk jugs and dropped it off the get rid of it properly. So I drained the overflow tank and filled the system with water. I ran it for a while. Then pulled the lower hose again. Then I repeated this over and over until all the coolant was removed.

Now that the coolant and sandy sludge has been removed from the overflow. Once the sludge was removed from the overflow tank it started leaking. So I bought a new overflow tank. Installed it. Then I bought the Prestone flush and added it with the water into the system. I am running it for a few days in the system. Is this ok?

Then I will replace the water with coolant and distilled water.

Is this typical and normal.

I even removed the thermostat and turned on the heater during this week with just water in the system. I want to clean all the junk out. Because it's not just junk in the system. Its i the water jacket around the engine and in the hoses.

dagod16
06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Pic of the new and old overflow tank.

Carves
06-07-2015, 04:49 AM
I would give it all, a good reverse flush with a hose, before the final refill ... dont use too much pressure tho.

... and despite Prestones 50% - 70% eth-gly instruction ... I would only use a maximum 50% max , after having had a look at Clintons average yearly weather.

Brasscatz
06-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Then I bought the Prestone flush and added it with the water into the system. I am running it for a few days in the system. Is this ok?

Then I will replace the water with coolant and distilled water.

Is this typical and normal.

Yeah, looks like you're on the right track. I actually filled back up with hose water, but distilled is waaaaaay better for your jeep.

dagod16
06-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Well people don't realize it but during the summer we really don't need coolant in the system. We just need water. During the winter is when we just need coolant mixture.

How do I reverse flush. IF I run water through the whole system plus the cleaner/flush chemical shouldn't that get it all out.?

Brasscatz
06-07-2015, 11:49 AM
If you get the whole prestone flush kit, I believe it does the reverse flush.

dagod16
06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I just don't want to cut into those heater hoses.

VermOkkult
06-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Well people don't realize it but during the summer we really don't need coolant in the system. We just need water. During the winter is when we just need coolant mixture.

How do I reverse flush. IF I run water through the whole system plus the cleaner/flush chemical shouldn't that get it all out.?

hose water isnt good at all no matter what season it is because of the electrolysis that happens you need some type of lubrication. I run distilled water and some type of additive.. Super coolant is what i use since Lucas sponsors me. but in reality any brand works. and it actually drops about 20 degrees from antifreeze. Plus if you do happen to have a coolant leak it wont leave an oily surface on the street or whatever terrain you are on. So all in all its not terrible for the environment ( i tread lightly ) and it passes tech at a track.

Carves
06-08-2015, 12:48 AM

I just don't want to cut into those heater hoses.

As VermOkkult mentioned ... you really ought to have some corrosion inhibitors and additives in there ... even if you dont need the anti-freeze, during summer.

Its why I use a store bought premix, of about 10/90 ratio .... its a bit easier to find than the non eth-gly mixes ... out in the boonies where I am.

Most race track approved coolants are eth-gly free.
See if your local stores have a U.S. equivalent of this stuff ... http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Ultra_Cool/#.VXUrgc-qpBc

As for backflushing ....

It gets rid of any larger gunk thats pushed up against the inlets - in things like the heater core and radiator.

If you think your system was fairly clean, then it might not need it ... but I do it to mine regardless.

No need to cut the heater hoses ... just disconnect 'em and stick the hose in the "outlet" hose.

Radiator I normally remove, stand it vertical on its inlet end and poke the hose in the outlet fitting.

Engine ... Remove the thermostat housing and water pump ... and poke the hose in the thermostat position.

Dont use too high a pressure ... the rad and heater core might not appreciate it .. ;);)

dagod16
06-08-2015, 04:50 AM
Ok I will take off one of the heather hoses and back flush it that way as well. I was going to replace the water with coolant on Tuesday. I just wanted to run it with just water for a week to clean out any remaning yucky sludge/sand. I'm pretty sure it's gone but who knows.

So anti freeze, and distilled water, and what is this extra additive called? Can I buy it at autozone?

Mudderoy
06-08-2015, 05:36 AM

Water causes rust that's why you use coolant during the summer.

Carves
06-08-2015, 05:41 AM
....................... So anti freeze, and distilled water, and what is this extra additive called? Can I buy it at autozone?

If you are going to buy a bottle of, eth-gly, radiator coolant, concentrate or pre-mix ... It will already have the additives in it.

The only reason we suggested getting the, additives without eth-gly ... was coz you posted,

... which suggested you werent going to bother with an anti-freeze mix.

dagod16
06-08-2015, 06:19 AM
No I will just run water for another day and I will switch back to the pretty green coolant. I just wanted to get all the junk out. Sometimes running it for a few days can still help get junk out.

VermOkkult
06-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Ok I will take off one of the heather hoses and back flush it that way as well. I was going to replace the water with coolant on Tuesday. I just wanted to run it with just water for a week to clean out any remaning yucky sludge/sand. I'm pretty sure it's gone but who knows.

So anti freeze, and distilled water, and what is this extra additive called? Can I buy it at autozone?

The additive is called Water Wetter, Super Coolant, Hyper Lube.. etc.. you can get them at advance or autozone, pretty much any where. The reason i suggest running these additive is since 4.0s tend to run on the hot side, even with antifreeze the addition of the additive claims that it will run up to 20 degrees cooler. Supposedly it runs the coolest with just distilled and additive but i have no proof of this being true just going by the claims.

Mudderoy
06-08-2015, 08:16 AM
I've read that plain water cools best. You add contaminates to raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point.

Problem with pure water is the rust, then the holes then all that water runs out on the ground. :(

I learned the hard way with mine. Ran just water for years.

4.3LXJ
06-08-2015, 10:03 AM
The additive is called Water Wetter, Super Coolant, Hyper Lube.. etc.. you can get them at advance or autozone, pretty much any where. The reason i suggest running these additive is since 4.0s tend to run on the hot side, even with antifreeze the addition of the additive claims that it will run up to 20 degrees cooler. Supposedly it runs the coolest with just distilled and additive but i have no proof of this being true just going by the claims.

That is conventional wisdom. The local circle burners run it without antifreeze. Its effectiveness seems to decrease with antifreeze. I have tried it and it does cool better, but once you reach a certain point, it does not make any difference at all. Bottom line is that you need a properly functioning cooling system to take advantage of it

dagod16
06-08-2015, 02:36 PM
I drained all the water and replaced the thermostat and emptied the coolant bottle and I am waiting for the sealer on the thermo casing to dry 24 hours. Then I will refill it.

Carves
06-08-2015, 07:01 PM

I think they might be pulling your leg about the cooling claims .. ;);)

Water + Inhibitors/Additives = Best for cooling / No good for anti-freeze.

Water + Inhibitors/Additives + Eth-Gly = Best for anti-freeze / Not so great for cooling - unless the cooling system has been up-sized, to compensate for the use of the eth-gly.

... and the Inhibitors/Additives need to be suited for use in the vehicle i.e. cast iron engines/alloy engines/copperbrass rads/alloy rads etc.

dagod16
06-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I never have overheated anyway. I will use a 50/50 mix. I put the thermo back in and housing on, just waiting for it to dry and I will fill it up in the morning.

I'm just proud at how clean the coolant system is.

These fail safe thermostats. Have any of you had any issues with them.

VermOkkult
06-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I think they might be pulling your leg about the cooling claims .. ;);)

Water + Inhibitors/Additives = Best for cooling / No good for anti-freeze.

Water + Inhibitors/Additives + Eth-Gly = Best for anti-freeze / Not so great for cooling - unless the cooling system has been up-sized, to compensate for the use of the eth-gly.

... and the Inhibitors/Additives need to be suited for use in the vehicle i.e. cast iron engines/alloy engines/copperbrass rads/alloy rads etc.

Very true i live in south florida so it never freezes and the reason ( regardless the claims from companies) i run additives is because a) i dont need to anti freeze anything here, and B) tracks here dont allow anti freeze in coolants for passing tech purposes because of oil on track rule. so if its not oily on track then it wont leave oil on trails. Well at least that is what i tell myself to make myself feel better in a OH $H!T moment out there in natural preserves . LOL